The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Non PCIe Interfaces that support simultaneous AES,SPDIF coax,SPDIF optical
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
If it wasn't I would have tried to change my UFX for a 802 Not ready for a UCX though... Might have to get a ADI4-DD or similar
I investigated ADAT-to-AES or SPDIF convertors a while ago. I seem to remember some people having problems with the RME ADI-4 DD and the ADI-192 DD. They replaced them with similar Mutec products and got better results.
Old 13th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesC View Post
I investigated ADAT-to-AES or SPDIF convertors a while ago. I seem to remember some people having problems with the RME ADI-4 DD and the ADI-192 DD. They replaced them with similar Mutec products and got better results.
Really? Should think that RME's own ADI-4 would work perfect with UFX...
Old 13th July 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

FWIW, I use a RME Digiface for my main interface, but also a Multiface II for format conversion from ADAT to SPDIF. The two interfaces are connected via ADAT and BNC leads. No issues.
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here is one of the relevant posts I found, but it seems that maybe his ADI-4 DD was just faulty:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7267010-post4.html

There were some criticisms of the RME format converters on the RME forum. Possibly they were removed by the RME mods, but I can't quickly find them.
Old 14th July 2016
Quote:
Here is one of the relevant posts I found, but it seems that maybe his ADI-4 DD was just faulty:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7267010-post4.html

There were some criticisms of the RME format converters on the RME forum. Possibly they were removed by the RME mods, but I can't quickly find them.
Ok thanks for the heads up. Just for the curiosity, what's your current interface/converter setup?
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Ok thanks for the heads up. Just for the curiosity, what's your current interface/converter setup?
I'm currently using a UFX as my primary interface, connected via USB to my Windows 10 PC. I don't use the UFX converters for anything critical, I don't use the direct-to-USB recording, I don't use the built-in pre's, so much of the UFX capabilities are wasted for me. But I LOVE the rock-solid RME drivers, TotalMix FX is incredibly flexible and easy to use once you understand it, and I enjoy using a USB interface instead of having to install a card.

For my primary channels of conversion I use a SvartBox, which is a very-high quality stereo AD-DA unit built by Gearslutz member Svart. If you google "svartbox" you can get some information about it. It uses RCA SPDIF connectors, but the UFX is robust enough that it can handle either AES or SPDIF on it's AES connectors.

I found the SvartBox to be good enough to replace my Burl B2 ADC (which I've sold), and to replace the DAC in my Dangerous Source monitor controller. If the UFX could connect a second SvartBox, my search for an ideal converter setup would be over.

Because of the limitations of the UFX, I'm seriously considering doing what Bassmankr has suggested, and simplify my setup by just getting a single high-quality interface. I'm thinking either a Metric Halo Lio-8 or a Prism Titan.

MH announced USB connectivity and Windows drivers a couple of years ago, but have been fairly silent about it ever since. The MH Mac drivers seem to be rock-solid, will their Windows drivers be the same? We'll have to see. I recall some complaints about the Prism drivers, so I'd have to investigate that a lot further.
Old 14th July 2016
Quote:
....I'm currently using a UFX as my primary interface, connected via USB to my Windows 10 PC.....
Ok gotcha. I'm going to check out the upcoming RME ADI-2 PRO, looks promising, also still considering Pure 2 and finding an ADAT DAC .. (or hilo if I can find it used)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search