The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple's pro audio dept is "growing and growing" Mixers (Digital)
Old 30th November 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Apple's pro audio dept is "growing and growing"

....and "the rooms are filled with developers, QA engineers" etc.


The more success Apple is having, the more people are popping up to tell the world about how they fail, followed by advice about what they should have done to succeed etc. Not long ago, some Pro Tools user over at some PT site has mixed up pro audio marketing people with pro audio developing team, and come of with a vague and self-contradicting statement about Apple's pro audio team is being 'decimated'. This got the rumour mills going. The original source for all this is apparently an ex-Apple employee taking about some pro audio product 'specialists' - which is very different from a pro audio developer team.

Here's something which is not from en ex-employee, but which originally comes from a source which I'm 100% sure I can trust. He recently said about the same department (in Rellingen, Germany; the original Emagic location) that the team is "growing and growing", and that "the rooms are filled with developers, QA engineers" etc. The same source has confirmed that the team is still working passionately to make the best DAW out there (I don't remember the exact wording here).


Also, this: Apple buys Redmatica startup for Music boost


Many have seen Apple's recent ads for new people to the same team. Check this:
A quote from one of the ads:
Quote:
Requisition Number 8304346 Job title Software Developer Music Apps (Germany) Location Rellingen Country Germany City Rellingen State Schleswig-Holstein Job type Full Time Job description For our Germany-based development team in Rellingen/Hamburg working on music creation software for iOS and Mac OS X like GarageBand and Logic, we are looking for a talented Software developer.


Apple have been organising both Logic trainer certification classes and normal Logic classes lately. The writer of the official Logic 101 introduction book, David Nahmani, stated on logicprohelp.com recently that the team was "alive and kicking":

Quote:
Talk about a whole lot of hoopla about nothing...

They're using strong wording to create a sensational title. What happened was that during the transition from Apple distributing Logic through conventional retail channels to distributing it exclusively in the Mac App Store, Apple laid off the Logic sales teams. Those teams' role was to place the Logic boxes in stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash etc..), check the location and presentation of the product in the store, create in-store promotional events, etc... all things that Apple will no longer need in the future since the move to the Mac App Store.

The Pro Audio development and management teams are still alive and kicking.



Jay Asher, writer of several Logic books is confirming that this reduced staff thing in Germany is only about marketing people.

The above and more info countering the false rumour about Apple's pro audio team being 'decimated' has been posted in several GS threads now, but these posts are hard to trace, because they are inside some of Gearslutz' longest threads (with several thousand posts), which is why I posted this this tread.


ETA: Please also check this post, which is about to be buried in off-topic posts. :-)
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8500922-post29.html

Quote:
I emailed Tim Cook about the Logic rumors and received this today:

Nicholas, thanks for your email. As the lead for our music creation apps, I always want to hear what our users are thinking. I want to assure you the team is still in place and hard at work on the next version of Logic Pro.

-xander

Xander Soren • ? Director of Music Apps Product Marketing • Apple, Inc. • Cupertino, CA
4
Share
Old 30th November 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Leevi's Avatar
 

Good post. Hopefully this will finally end that rumour circle.
Old 30th November 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Good post. Hopefully this will finally end that rumour circle.
I don't think it will. :-) But at least it's a thread dedicated to countering that false rumour, it's easy to link to, and has some valid information in the first post. It's hard to find those other messages in threads which are 2000+ posts long.

ETA: Some guys insists that this guy also knows what he is talking about - Jim Dalrymple (I haven't heard of him):

About the rumor that Apple decimated its pro audio team

Jim Dalrymple apparently has an impressive track record in terms of predicting what will happen at Apple/commenting true and false Apple rumours.
Old 1st December 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
....and "the rooms are filled with developers, QA engineers" etc.
Well that sounds hopeful.
Old 1st December 2012
  #5
Music CrAZy
 
tobymusic's Avatar
 

Thanks for the detective work, nativeaudio. I was quite shocked when I read the rumor at the AIR users blog, it would be sad to see a good software die because of the shift to consumer products at Apple. Let's hope Apple continues to support their pro customer with both software and suitable hardware.
Old 1st December 2012
  #6
Gear Nut
 

This is great news. Maybe this means that they'll finally drop that tedious Logic Pro and develop a fun iPad app.
Old 1st December 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNiMaL ChIcKeN View Post
This is great news. Maybe this means that they'll finally drop that tedious Logic Pro and develop a fun iPad app.
If they also make a 27" iPad, that would be interesting. :-)
Old 1st December 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

Well, it's growing and growing. Great, but, we've seen not much from it at all so far. Yamaha and Avid are much more active so far too. If there's no new LPX within now and 6 months I believe rather the opposite...

RGH
Old 1st December 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
we've seen not much from it at all so far.
Of course not. If we had seen what these people would have been working on, wouldn't have had threads like these. ;-)

Don't you know that Apple's policy is not to advertise future products/features?
Old 1st December 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
I don't know. If it were my money I'd bet that they are working on something for the iPad. With Apple's general direction I can see them redesigning Logic and Final Cut as true touch-driven apps.

Which is actually cool. A pro-grade DAW on a full-size touch display is definitely where this market needs to go.
Old 1st December 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Yeah, I wouldn't mind running Logic from a 192-core, 64-bit ARM based computer the size of an old adat.

Chips which don't generate a lot of heat and doesn't consume a lot of power is definitely something for the processor hungry pro market.
Old 1st December 2012
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
rickbarratt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I don't know. If it were my money I'd bet that they are working on something for the iPad. With Apple's general direction I can see them redesigning Logic and Final Cut as true touch-driven apps.

Which is actually cool. A pro-grade DAW on a full-size touch display is definitely where this market needs to go.
especially with something like the Mackie DL1608 with that and logic pro would be so cool for a portable market.
Old 1st December 2012
  #13
Old 1st December 2012
  #14
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I don't know. If it were my money I'd bet that they are working on something for the iPad. With Apple's general direction I can see them redesigning Logic and Final Cut as true touch-driven apps.

Which is actually cool. A pro-grade DAW on a full-size touch display is definitely where this market needs to go.
Slate just announced one, there's a 50 or so page thread on it here somewhere
Old 1st December 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
grooveminister's Avatar
I pointed out in the other thread that Logic supports "UAD plugin chaining" since version 9.1.8.
If Logic was about to be discontinued, my guess is they wouldn´t have bothered to implement it.
Old 1st December 2012
  #16
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
If they also make a 27" iPad, that would be interesting. :-)
What would be more interesting is 70" 4k ipad.
Old 1st December 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Of course not. If we had seen what these people would have been working on, wouldn't have had threads like these. ;-)

Don't you know that Apple's policy is not to advertise future products/features?
Of course I do know that. But, I'm referring not to X, but the upgrade path so far.

Since the take over of Emagic by Apple rumours has gone around of a PT killer and along great expectations with each release ever since. Never this has been accomplished and especially on the audio part LP is simply behind the likes of PT and Yamaha who did come with serious major updates and releases.

Or Apple is truly working on some and used the last releases to win time or it is a death end product which was primarly used for Garageband purposes and/or changed strategy through the years...

RGH
Old 1st December 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
I pointed out in the other thread that Logic supports "UAD plugin chaining" since version 9.1.8.
If Logic was about to be discontinued, my guess is they wouldn´t have bothered to implement it.
Hope so...
Old 1st December 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
John The Cut's Avatar
 

does anyone else think the music is starting to get a bit lost in amongst all this iCrap..
Old 1st December 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
uncle muscles's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
....and "the rooms are filled with developers, QA engineers" etc.


The more success Apple is having, the more people are popping up to tell the world about how they fail, followed by advice about what they should have done to succeed etc. Not long ago, some Pro Tools user over at some PT site has mixed up pro audio marketing people with pro audio developing team, and come of with a vague and self-contradicting statement about Apple's pro audio team is being 'decimated'. This got the rumour mills going. The original source for all this is apparently an ex-Apple employee taking about some pro audio product 'specialists' - which is very different from a pro audio developer team.

Here's something which is not from en ex-employee, but which originally comes from a source which I'm 100% sure I can trust. He recently said about the same department (in Rellingen, Germany; the original Emagic location) that the team is "growing and growing", and that "the rooms are filled with developers, QA engineers" etc. The same source has confirmed that the team is still working passionately to make the best DAW out there (I don't remember the exact wording here).


Also, this: Apple buys Redmatica startup for Music boost


Many have seen Apple's recent ads for new people to the same team. Check this:


A quote from one of the ads:




Apple have been organising both Logic trainer certification classes and normal Logic classes lately. The writer of the official Logic 101 introduction book, David Nahmani, stated on logicprohelp.com recently that the team was "alive and kicking":






Jay Asher, writer of several Logic books is confirming that this reduced staff thing in Germany is only about marketing people.

The above and more info countering the false rumour about Apple's pro audio team being 'decimated' has been posted in several GS threads now, but these posts are hard to trace, because they are inside some of Gearslutz' longest threads (with several thousand posts), which is why I posted this this tread.
Sir,

Take your intentions elsewhere.

From a professional business standpoint, R&D is always at the bottom of the barrel no matter the entity or company, and that includes Apple.
Old 1st December 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
DistortingJack's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle muscles View Post
Sir,

Take your intentions elsewhere.

From a professional business standpoint, R&D is always at the bottom of the barrel no matter the entity or company, and that includes Apple.
Well, the OP has an interesting story and links to corroborate it. I'm not saying I agree or that I believe it, but telling someone to eff off for what he posted is more than a bit rude.
1
Share
Old 1st December 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle muscles View Post
Sir,

Take your intentions elsewhere.

From a professional business standpoint, R&D is always at the bottom of the barrel....
Of course spending time on research and development costs money. But unless you think it costs so much that Logic sales don't cover both the developers and the development (!?), I don't understand what you are saying.

Quote:
I'm not saying I agree or that I believe it
You can't agree or disagree with me about this, I'm just repeating what others who should know what they are talking about are stating.

The things I mentioned seems much more convincing (to me) than some PT user who spoke to an ex Apple employee and don't know the difference between pro audio team and 'product specialists'/'marketing guys'. And that, is of course something you may disagree in. :-)
1
Share
Old 1st December 2012
  #23
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle muscles View Post
Sir,

Take your intentions elsewhere.
Huh? Someone posts a rational summary of Logic's current state of development, the way he sees it, and you try to throw a spanner in the works? You're way out of line, "Sir".
1
Share
Old 1st December 2012
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
Of course spending time on research and development costs money. But unless you think it costs so much that Logic sales don't cover both the developers and the development (!?), I don't understand what you are saying.


You can't agree or disagree with me about this, I'm just repeating what others who should know what they are talking about are stating.

The things I mentioned seems much more convincing (to me) than some PT user who spoke to an ex Apple employee and don't know the difference between pro audio team and 'product specialists'/'marketing guys'. And that, is of course something you may disagree in. :-)
Anyone else seeing the personal agenda here? I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't believe anything I read that isn't backed up with facts, but laying it all at the feet of "a pt user" is a bit animal farm, isn't it?! How do we know the person in question isn't a logic user as well - I know I am!
Old 2nd December 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Anyone else seeing the personal agenda here? I'm not saying you're wrong, I don't believe anything I read that isn't backed up with facts, but laying it all at the feet of "a pt user" is a bit animal farm, isn't it?! How do we know the person in question isn't a logic user as well - I know I am!
+1. The only thing the guy can really be accused of is not checking the facts before saying something as "big" as this... all things considered( there's stuff way more important in this life than LP rumours!!)

KA
Old 2nd December 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
I don't know. If it were my money I'd bet that they are working on something for the iPad. With Apple's general direction I can see them redesigning Logic and Final Cut as true touch-driven apps.

Which is actually cool. A pro-grade DAW on a full-size touch display is definitely where this market needs to go.
Except that the iPad doesn't have the horsepower to handle a "pro-grade" DAW. So either Apple turns Logic into "Garage Band Pro" or it's not going to happen. I'll grant you that the former is a possibility...

If you're interested in a tablet that can handle a professional DAW, look for a Windows 8 device with an i5 CPU, like the Surface Pro. I bet at the end of next year there will be plenty of similar products on the market and prices will inevitably go south.
Old 2nd December 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Old 2nd December 2012
  #28
Studios are still in the culture of doing serious work on a desktop so Logic will be around for a while. I know Steve & Tim see a future of more tablet users, but it's not here yet.
Old 2nd December 2012
  #29
Gear Nut
 

I emailed Tim Cook about the Logic rumors and received this today:

Nicholas, thanks for your email. As the lead for our music creation apps, I always want to hear what our users are thinking. I want to assure you the team is still in place and hard at work on the next version of Logic Pro.

-xander

Xander Soren • ? Director of Music Apps Product Marketing • Apple, Inc. • Cupertino, CA
Attached Images
1
Share
Old 2nd December 2012
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom24 View Post
I emailed Tim Cook about the Logic rumors and received this today:

Nicholas, thanks for your email. As the lead for our music creation apps, I always want to hear what our users are thinking. I want to assure you the team is still in place and hard at work on the next version of Logic Pro.

-xander

Xander Soren • ? Director of Music Apps Product Marketing • Apple, Inc. • Cupertino, CA
From reading this I think users should better.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
yoink / Low End Theory
54
OSX86 / Music Computers
21
TonyBelmont / Music Computers
230
drumnbimmer / Geekslutz forum
2

Forum Jump