The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new AMD benchies may have to eat my hat Audio Interfaces
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

new AMD benchies may have to eat my hat

Well i said i would get an newer AMD Vishera up and tested sorry it took so long.. just so dang busy (a good thing)

it looks like this time i may have to eat a little humble pie as the gains from this newer model are pretty big compared to one gen back. i really didnt expect this at all given past performance of AMDs for the last 5 yrs.

AMD FX8350 (stock speed)
16 gig Ram
Cubase 6.5.4
Dawbench RXC-Ext
RME Multiface

128 buffer 80 RXC
64 Buffer 74 RXC
32 buffer 61 RXC

compared to Intel 3770 @ stock speeds with the same config

128 buffer 96 RXC
64 Buffer 80 RXC
32 buffer 70 RXC

so at 32 buffer the intel is 14% better
price $219 (FX8350) vs $289 (3770)

all other components would be basically the same. a good board for either is about the same price.

i have yet to over-clock but expect the preformance difference % wise to the OCed 3770 to be the same.. on the other hand i would bet the FX8320 would OC just as well as the FX8350 making it even less $. ($179)

given the close to Ivy bridge performance and at slightly less money (particularly if OCing the 8320) i have no choice but to say AMD is finally an acceptable option..
the other added bonus is the AMD boards have NATIVE PCI so older PCI cards should not be an issue..

updated for over-clocked numbers.

AMD @4.8GHz
32 80
64 83
128 86

compared to 3770 @ 4.5GHz

32 103
64 116
128 123

so the AMD did not scale well with the OC. now the intel does 30% better

i am thinking the cheap 6300 will yield the same numbers as the 8350.. have one ordered
Scott
ADK
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
the other added bonus is the AMD boards have NATIVE PCI so older PCI cards should not be an issue..

Scott
ADK
Good info, cheers. As always.

ns
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Interesting indeed Scott, are you comparing a quad core intel though with an 8 core AMD?

MC

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
gains from this newer model are pretty big compared to one gen back.
When buying, how do we know which generation we are looking for?
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
When buying, how do we know which generation we are looking for?
Model number. The second digit in the four digit number will be a "3". The first will be the amount of "cores". So the one Scott tried, the 8350, Is an 8 "core" of the latest model. The other two 8 cores are the 8320 and 8300, both being slower.

The basic architecture is called "Pliedriver" and the model "Vishera".
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Interesting indeed Scott, are you comparing a quad core intel though with an 8 core AMD?

MC

Sent from my Nexus 7
Yeah, but it's more convoluted than that. AMD's CPUs aren't "real cores". Fortunately, apart from the curiosity of it it doesn't really matter. We're just buying a CPU for X amount of money with Y performance.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Scott, thanks so much for doing the test. I think our community really appreciates you doing it!

Also, a quick google-shopping search has the CPUs at 200 and 290 respectively, though I'm sure it varies weekly. Still a nice alternative in that price bracket though.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Model number. The second digit in the four digit number will be a "3". The first will be the amount of "cores". So the one Scott tried, the 8350, Is an 8 "core" of the latest model. The other two 8 cores are the 8320 and 8300, both being slower.

The basic architecture is called "Pliedriver" and the model "Vishera".
Thanks.
Old 28th November 2012
Here for the gear

thanks Scott and ADK for running the tests. Looks a lot better. Hopefully they can keep tweaking the chip. I think they are the right path. Imagine how good it would be if they had Intel's 22nm to put it on
Old 28th November 2012
GCL
Lives for gear

"Benchies" is a horrible word, makes me sick! Geez...
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Thanks Scott! Did you use windows 7 or 8? I rember reading windows 8 would be better at aligning threads for bulldozer, just wondering if this would apply for vishera.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplay View Post
Thanks Scott! Did you use windows 7 or 8? I rember reading windows 8 would be better at aligning threads for bulldozer, just wondering if this would apply for vishera.
If I remember correctly the difference is marginal enough to be pretty much irrelevant.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Win7 Win8 would yeild basically the same "benchies" :-)
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post

MC

Sent from my Nexus 7
Simple question w/ a very very unsimple answer unfortunately.

In short... "core" is loosely defined when comparing Intel vs. AMD, b/c their architectures are completely different. We understand core in general as just a separate unit that processes work. This is how Intel makes their chips. The AMD cores in a nutshell are 4 cores that are essentially designed to operate as 8 cores, they are split in 2.

I'm no computer whiz... so forgive me if I misstated something here, but that's essentially it. It's probably part of the reason why Intel has been pooping on AMD processors for a few years now. But.. appearing AMD has caught back up again in terms of performance.

DAMN YOU!!! I'm buying a new CPU in approx 6 months... why'd you have to go and make this a difficult choice again!!!!!!! AAHHHHHH. How can I justify grabbing an i7 if I know in the back of my mind that this AMD Vishera is not only comparable but will outperform?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 28th November 2012
Quote:

Scott
ADK
This could be a huge deal for my desktop,and PCI interface options!

I have to admit,I'm having major confusion "extrapolating" between the NEW test count's,and the older graphs.

Any clues?
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
How can I justify grabbing an i7 if I know in the back of my mind that this AMD Vishera is not only comparable but will outperform?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
close to the performance if an i7 Ivy NOT outperform...

bear in mind the I7 Sandy E 3820 is in the same $300 price range but vastly outperforms (42%) the 3770 and the AMD (69%)

price differences come in the form of higher board costs for socket 2011 and the required 4 sticks ram. (not to mention potential ram incompatibility)

realistically $ per preformance actually goes to the Intel 3820. but for those on a very tight budget where $50-$125 makes it or breaks it the AMD looks good now.

Scott
ADK
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
This could be a huge deal for my desktop,and PCI interface options!

I have to admit,I'm having major confusion "extrapolating" between the NEW test count's,and the older graphs.

Any clues?
what processor are you trying to compare? the old vs new is a bit of a PITA..
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
close to the performance if an i7 Ivy NOT outperform...

bear in mind the I7 Sandy E 3820 is in the same $300 price range but vastly outperforms (42%) the 3770 and the AMD (69%)

price differences come in the form of higher board costs for socket 2011 and the required 4 sticks ram. (not to mention potential ram incompatibility)

realistically $ per preformance actually goes to the Intel 3820. but for those on a very tight budget where $50-$125 makes it or breaks it the AMD looks good now.

Scott
ADK

Nice. That's real good info to know man, thank you.

When I made that comment, I was also referring to the PassMark list:
PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

The Vishera is high up there on their tests. (Of course I'm aware this list is not for DAW work, and takes into account a lot of other factors we probably aren't too concerned w/ as DAW users). Seems like the Vishera will beat a lower level Sandy Bridge like the 2700K (if you wanna call that "low level" hahahaha... i use that term loosely).
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Scott
ADK
I totally agree. Intel is where it's at for top performance all the way down to the 8350. I think the AMD FX 8350 can be beneficial for those who can't spend more, or for those who would rather spend the difference between it and the "step up" Intel on something else, like system memory, an SSD etc.
Old 28th November 2012
Hey Scott!,I'm trying to see where my OC'ed i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz[can't get 4.7 stable yet, unless I get into voltages]is compared to the i7 3770K,which I'm guessing isn't a whole lot,and likely not worth my while.

So it's that,and the base socket 2011 cpu[as it seems 2011 is the platform that may stay around awhile?],which would be the 3820,or for quite a lot more here,a 3930K/3960/70X[.which is kinda easier as they're still on the old scale],Thanks!

Cheers
RK
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

I had the same thought :-)

On another note, would that make a new 6300 series dual opteron system worth while?

MC

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Hey Scott!,I'm trying to see where my OC'ed i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz[can't get 4.7 stable yet, unless I get into voltages]is compared to the i7 3770K,which I'm guessing isn't a whole lot,and likely not worth my while.

So it's that,and the base socket 2011 cpu[as it seems 2011 is the platform that may stay around awhile?],which would be the 3820,or for quite a lot more here,a 3930K/3960/70X[.which is kinda easier as they're still on the old scale],Thanks!

Cheers
RK
2600k @ 4.6 is the same as the 3770k @ 4.5
there was absolutely no performance gains from sandy to Ivy
Old 28th November 2012
Quote:
2600k @ 4.6 is the same as the 3770k @ 4.5
there was absolutely no performance gains from sandy to Ivy
Very interesting,I was thinking[totally guessing] it could be something like that,so a 2011 set up,for a decent step up....I was going to wait,but couldn't,anyway so it's good to know,from those who know!

Thank You
RK
Old 28th November 2012
Thanks, Scott!

I'm happy with my Gigabyte GA 880GM microATX AM3+ board, which has native PCI slots (x2), Texas Instruments Firewire controller on the board, accept Vishera, and still $90 ($75 after MIR). I'm using it now with Phenom II x4, but I want to try Vishera. This board could be a 'hidden gem' for audio folks!

p.s. and I know DPC latency shows 40-50us, absolutely flat for hours with this motherboard (Win 7 64bit).
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
Thanks, Scott!

I'm happy with my Gigabyte GA 880GM microATX AM3+ board, which has native PCI slots (x2), Texas Instruments Firewire controller on the board, accept Vishera, and still $90 ($75 after MIR). I'm using it now with Phenom II x4, but I want to try Vishera. This board could be a 'hidden gem' for audio folks!

p.s. and I know DPC latency shows 40-50us, absolutely flat for hours with this motherboard (Win 7 64bit).
Sounds like a good upgrade path for you. If you decide to do it please let us know how it works out for you!
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Addict

You want some ketchup with that hat? heh

Nice. TVM for the report!

Ooo, native PCI. That could come in handy... if PCI weren't dead.

Meanwhile, in other news, how about 3930K $/perf value now?
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddard View Post
Sort of true. But some of us got cards like the LYNX-TWO which sounds and works great and is PCI. So in the larger scheme of things an upgrade for me for example would be possibly quite costly if I had to replace that card.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddard View Post

You want some ketchup with that hat? heh

Nice. TVM for the report!

Meanwhile, in other news, how about 3930K $/perf value now?
i prefer hot sauce thanks! makes choking it down easier

i would say 65% of what we sell is the 3930K @ 4.5GHz..
so it would seem thats where the populous says the value is
the majority of the rest would be 3770 or OCed to 4.5GHz.

you would be surprised at the number of peeps with PCI cards still. if it aint broke...

Scott
Old 28th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Nice. That's real good info to know man, thank you.

When I made that comment, I was also referring to the PassMark list:
PassMark - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs

The Vishera is high up there on their tests. (Of course I'm aware this list is not for DAW work, and takes into account a lot of other factors we probably aren't too concerned w/ as DAW users). Seems like the Vishera will beat a lower level Sandy Bridge like the 2700K (if you wanna call that "low level" hahahaha... i use that term loosely).
Yeah,I emailed those cats,at "PassMark"recently,as when it was current[or still only 4/5 months old],the i7 2600k,had a score of 9,690 and was 9th on their list,this was when the Xeon W3690,was No.1,at 11,047[and the still "mysterious"995x,was also first].

Anyway,the ole 2600k is now a lower 8,667[over a 1,000 down!]and the response was,that is what it rates"now"with their "new" benchmark protocol,and I was also surprised to find that they're a local outfit[Surry Hills-Sydney]too,but as with an OC'ed 3770k,not a pinch"past"my 4.6GHz 2600k-for AUDIO,I'm not getting "nerved out" about my 2nd gen. i7's being headed for the garbage pile just yet.
Old 28th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
it looks like this time i may have to eat a little humble pie as the gains from this newer model are pretty big compared to one gen back. i really didnt expect this at all given past performance of AMDs for the last 5 yrs.
Its good to see from a competition point, as it may push Intel a little ( not likely tho ).

Count Down for the AMDian chorus to kick in and claim a Game Change... 5..4..3..

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search