The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is my PC too new? and other noob questions!
Old 22nd July 2006
Here for the gear

Is my PC too new? and other noob questions!

Hi! I hope this is the right place to be asking these questions... My apologies if it is not!

I just got a second hand 002 desk with PT 6.4, which I am trying to run on a Win XP Pro SP2, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core, MSI K8N Neo4 FI motherboard, MSI GeForce 6200 graphic card, Apacer 1024MB DDR400 (x2), Coolermaster Aquagate Mini R120 cooling and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB/16mb S-ATA II hard drive.
I tried the last update of PT 6.4 that is available, but I keep getting problems!

- I get the increase hw buffer - fault, but when I increase it, it tells me to decrease it... Digidesign answerbase keeps talking about DMA but I use a SATA disc, so I shouldn't be worried, right?
- The sound keeps crackling, it is not the master that is overloading, and it seems to be a hardware thing. I can't get it fixed, I tried many options & preferences.

- I can't seem to get the 002 to act as a soundcard for the rest of the PC, I mean, when I want to watch a movie or videoclip on the PC, I can't get the 002 to put sound through as PT is not running at that moment. I tried to change it via the PCs control panel, but it will not allow me to select the 002 over the standard Realtek Audio card. Is there a way around this?

Thanks a lot!

B
Old 22nd July 2006
Here for the gear

Alrighty, accidentally stumbled upon the Wavedriver & MME Helper to fix the problem I had with PT not playing back 3rd party program audio. Just need some help with the real tech issues...
Old 22nd July 2006
Lives for gear

please be a tad specific about your remaining tech issues.
i dont use PT6.4. but are you on one hard drive running windows and recording to ?? its best to record to a second hard drive and have win on its own hard drive.
if your getting crackling in audio playback please list what you have in your pci slots.
Old 23rd July 2006
Here for the gear

Hi Manning, thanks for the reply.

I have a separate partition running all programs and one for recording/storing/playing back from.
I believe I only have the video card, MSI GeForce 6200, running from a PCI slot, though I am not sure. I can't seem to think of anything else... Audio card is obviously firewire.

The other problem I have is that I can't play any audio anymore, as PT prompts me to increase the buffer size, and when I do that it tells me I have to decrease it. I found a similar issue here (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=22380) but as this is an Intel problem, I hope I can fix it in another way than stated in the article.

Thanks for the help.
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

jungle....
so you ARE running ONE HARD DRIVE ?? partitioned ??
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Maniac

a partitoned hard drive is NOT A SUBSTITUE for TWO SEPERATE DRIVES.

MME helper will allow you to "add" 3rd party software to a list of software that will playback through PT hardware. You will still have to disable your other audio devices and set the 002 as the default voice and sound playback device.
Old 25th July 2006
Here for the gear

Oops... I thought a partition was as good as a separate drive? That's not very good news... I was told it would make hardly any difference... So what is the difference?

I figured out MME, that works fine. I obviously also disabled Windows sound etc. I can even run Cubase through it now, easy as I get a lot of Cubase files from people I know. Thanks for that.

Though the crackling and popping doesn't seem to happen as frequently, I have the feeling the system is still not very stable - not as I am used to on other people's setups. It feels as if it might crash all of the time, especially because the pops & cracks don't seem to be gone - though they have definitely lessened. Does the hard drive-partition have anything to do with that?

Thanks a lot, it feels like a welcome.
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

jungle....
read up on google the subject hard drive contention.

basically your running everything. win + recording off one hard drive.
NOT A GOOD IDEA.
ideally you want two hard drives.
i recommend 16 mb cache hard drives these days. they are dirt cheap.
you might also spend some time reading my back posts as ive
covered why pops and clicks occur many times.
NOW if you STILL get pops/clicks when a second hd is installed and your recording to it.
this might mean maybe your sound device has a driver problem OR
there might be another device in a pci slot that is kicking in and locking out your sound device.
there are many reasons actually.
if your willing to be open minded but its a drastic alternative. try what i use in my sig with a different sound device than the 002. for example try a firepod on loan for example. if you then find that your recording with no clicks/pops this will tell you that your pc is working fine and the problem probably lies with the 002/drivers maybe. maybe 6.4 is simply not getting along with your xp install.
another way to tell if the 002 is the problem is try the demo of what i use with
on board sound (not the best of course....but if you can record/playback with no clicks/pops then you have an option to get you by till you get another sound device.) i suspect the 002 possibly. only way to know is to try a proper non proprietary sound card compatible with win plus another multitrack software.
worst case youll know its not your pci slots that are the problem if your probs disappear. which i suspect they might.
other than that i'm out out ideas. the problem is PT is very proprietary and maybe it just might not get along with your system.
Old 25th July 2006
Here for the gear

Manning,

I will do all of that, thanks a million for the advice, extremely kind of you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search