The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Giving up on OSX Aggregate Device
Old 22nd November 2012
Giving up on OSX Aggregate Device

I have tried and tried to get this to work, but it's just not happening. I have tried to create an aggregate device using two interfaces - a MOTU 828 and a Tascam IF-FWDMmkII that plugs into my DM-3200.

Everything seems to work OK for a while, but then the slave device (828) will crap out and stop working. I tried everything I could think of, from making OSX try to clock the 828 from the IF-FW, vice-versa, syncing the clock of the 828 from a digital signal from the mixer, etc etc. It just doesn't work.

Which is a shame, because if it did work the aggregate device would be a great feature.
Old 22nd November 2012
Tui
Gear Guru

Some interfaces don't play nice together.
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

Never had any luck recording with aggregate devices in OS X. Sync drift, static bursts, conk outs,... you name it. Gave up a long time ago. A real pity as you say, would be great if it worked reliably.
Old 23rd November 2012
Interesting. I gave up on it for a long time and relied on the internal aggregation of Digital Performer. Now on Mountain Lion, the DP aggregation is flakey and the Apple aggregation seems to work a lot better than I had ever experienced. Even with Lion, I've been able to record 32 tracks with 3 Metric Halo interfaces in Logic with no issues, including making something like 12 monitor mixes.

I do think mixing manufacturers like this is dicey.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear