The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how hot is too hot?
Old 20th July 2006
Gear Maniac

how hot is too hot?

my computer case has an lcd temperature reading, and in order to properly monitor it i was wondering what the optimal temperature should be inside the computer? in the winter months it usually reads in the 80 degree F range, but now in the summer months it is up over 100 degrees F. is this safe?

any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 20th July 2006
Lives for gear

100 degrees is a bit high. It's good to keep them below 80 if you can, but that's not always possible 85-90 is a safe range I guess....75 is prime
Old 20th July 2006
Lives for gear

During the recent heatwave here in the UK my PC has regularly been hitting 95deg. C - which is auto shut off temperature.

I've taken the case apart and cleaned all the crap off the fans. Air dusters are great for blasting away all the crud. Machine can just about habdle a mix now without resetting.. but its still happening.

Mind you it is REALLY hot here at the moment.

The moral is that your mobo should have an auto reset temp like mine, it protects everything against over heating so I think you're safe.
Old 20th July 2006
Lives for gear

If you're hitting 100 I'd shut er down. The 386 thats running our FF and Neve events starts freakin out once the temp hits about 100 F. I try to keep the computer room at around 65, but if there's a problem, I let the room get to about 85 before I know the internal temps are getting close to my problem 100 deg area. Can you increase the fan rating to get more circulation in order to drop your internal temp below 100 for your summer months?
Old 20th July 2006
Gear Maniac

thanks for the replies. i've got a zalman fan in there that has a control to increase/decrease fan speed, but its set at the highest setting right now. i'm not sure why it's getting so hot in there. i don't have an air conditioning unit to keep the room cool, given that i'm in the seattle area and we usually don't have much need for one. the room temp is probably about 85 degrees F right now. it looks like i may need to add an additional fan to keep things cool inside the case.
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Guru

My G5 is just purring along running

138.1 F CPU A
142.4 F CPU B

Drive bay
76.1 F

Main logic board backside
121.1 F

Memory Controller Heatsink 165.2 F

Processor Card A Ambient 75.7 F
Processor Card B Ambient 74.8 F

Smart Disk 95.0 F

Temperature Monitor is such a handy application.
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi,

it depends on the processor architecture. As an example, Intel recommends an ambient case temp for most of the new processors of no more than 38 C. That is the air temp going into the CPU cooler.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search