The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
where can i find out about...
Old 20th July 2006
Lives for gear

Question where can i find out about...

alrighty,

im going to be putting together a new nuendo based system primarily for multitrack recording and am going to make the jump to full 96/24 operation.

i will need to be able to record 24 tracks simultaneously (using 2 x RME AES32 and Lynx converters) and am trying to find out what is the best storage solution for such a setup.

what i need to know is the bandwidth / capability of fw400, e-sata, 7200rpm hard drives, etc.

i just cant seem to find the relevant information for the context, ie as it applies to transferring 96/24 audio / track counts.

im not asking anyone here to spoonfeed me the information, just to point me towards a resource that contains what i need to know.

like is fw400 capable of this?
if so, do i need to split the recordinmg over 2 drives in a raid configuration due to their read/write speeds?
is e-sata a better option?

im currently looking at the Glyph system as i am willing to pay the extra bucks for a good, reliable system with support.

any advice most graciously received,

regards,

richie.
Old 20th July 2006
Lives for gear

HI,,
dont waste your money on external drives
a single internal Sata will do 30 tracks 96K no prob
if your using NUendo you can split your tracks to 2 seperate HDD.

we have done 80 tracks 96K live. (internal raid array) or spliting accross 4 drives none raided.

Scott
ADK
Old 20th July 2006
Lives for gear

hmmm.

that would indeed give me the track counts i need.

but i like the idea of the removable, hot-swap drive systems because it makes it so easy to swap between clients / projects / archives. the computer will be in a rack in the cr so changing drives will be a pita. this is what i like about the glyph system, and the support is very good from what i hear.

regards,

richie.
Old 20th July 2006
Lives for gear

HI,

you can install removable HDD rack in to the rackmount.

what we did for U2 (and many others) was had 2 internal drives and 2 removable Sata bays with Sata drives in them.
they would swap out drives nightly.

Scott
ADK
Old 21st July 2006
Lives for gear

interesting scott, thanks for the suggestion.

can you recommend a removable drive bay/rack and suitable drives that are very quiet as this will be in the control room?

thanks,

regards,

richie.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search