The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Windows 8.1 thread - post your experience here
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
I had a Lumia 1020 for most of last year, and I'll give you my thoughts on the Windows phone:

The good: Great OS as far as how it is organized and its ease of use. It made me see the brilliance of the hub.

The bad: The animations take way too long for a modern smartphone. You have to just get used to waiting a beat for an animation to start, run and then finish before doing anything on a program. In comparison, iOS 7/8 and Android 4.4 and 5.0 both implement animations that are snappy and instantaneous.

More good: The Microsoft/Nokia apps are really top notch.

The worst: No other apps (if you can find any you want) are worth spending any amount of time with. In the end, that was what drove me to Lollipop.

AD
Thanks for the review. I was just hoping it would have better integration with the desktop. Outlook, Excel, Word, and such. Haven't looked into it too deeply. I'll have to look into if there's any music sketchpad apps for it.

I just use my work S3 Droid (soon to be updated) at the moment. Got cumbersome carrying 2 phones.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear
Forgot to ask. Does Defender integrate with email and internet browsing? In other words, real time? Guess I could Google it.
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
I had a Lumia 1020 for most of last year, and I'll give you my thoughts on the Windows phone:

The good: Great OS as far as how it is organized and its ease of use. It made me see the brilliance of the hub.

The bad: The animations take way too long for a modern smartphone. You have to just get used to waiting a beat for an animation to start, run and then finish before doing anything on a program. In comparison, iOS 7/8 and Android 4.4 and 5.0 both implement animations that are snappy and instantaneous.

More good: The Microsoft/Nokia apps are really top notch.

The worst: No other apps (if you can find any you want) are worth spending any amount of time with. In the end, that was what drove me to Lollipop.

AD
I've been using my 1020 since it was first released. I haven't had any problems finding good apps that I need to use.
Old 10th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Thanks for the review. I was just hoping it would have better integration with the desktop. Outlook, Excel, Word, and such. Haven't looked into it too deeply. I'll have to look into if there's any music sketchpad apps for it.

I just use my work S3 Droid (soon to be updated) at the moment. Got cumbersome carrying 2 phones.
Outlook, Word, and Excel are all built in. You can sync files via OneDrive.

You can also share game state for many games the same way. Some games also share licenses (this is indicated in the store) where if you buy on Phone or PC, you get the other license automatically.

There are some fun ones, but there aren't a ton of music apps at the moment because latency is higher than optimal. We're working hard on that, but it will be some time on phone before that is changed across the board.

Pete
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
Outlook, Word, and Excel are all built in. You can sync files via OneDrive.

You can also share game state for many games the same way. Some games also share licenses (this is indicated in the store) where if you buy on Phone or PC, you get the other license automatically.

There are some fun ones, but there aren't a ton of music apps at the moment because latency is higher than optimal. We're working hard on that, but it will be some time on phone before that is changed across the board.

Pete
Built in? I'm Sold!

I'm not a gamer at all. Well...a little Solitaire.

The music app I had in mind was just something to get an idea down quickly so you didn't forget it. Like a singer might just use the voice record feature, but a keyboard. Latency wouldn't be an issue. Maybe a chord track.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

had an iPhone, Samsung, HTC android but I love my windows phones, got a Nokia 920 and a 1530 for me the perfect smart phone experience when tied in with one drive and all my other windows machines and surface.

MC
Old 12th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
I use my Nexus 6 daily, but still carry my Lumia 1020 for the photos LOL.

AD
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

8.1 is the best OS Microsoft has ever made. It's a little weird to get used to, but it is faster and simpler once you do.
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
8.1 is the best OS Microsoft has ever made. It's a little weird to get used to, but it is faster and simpler once you do.
I like it a lot too, but I also see its imperfections. I would categorize it as a worthy effort that produced a wonderful OS with some misguided attempts at re-vamping the UI. I'm hoping the next MS outing will learn the correct lessons from the past and bring us something a bit more universal and a little less boutique.

AD
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Head

Ive just ordered a new daw with windows 8.1.
is anyone running cubase 5.5 on this? Maybe I needto upgradecubase alsobut would prefer not to right now.
cheers.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

I've been on 8.1 since my new DAW build in mid-December. I think it's the best MS OS to date and I'm thrilled with it. I was expecting, due to all the internet chatter, a struggle and huge learning curve. Fortunately, nothing could be further from the truth.

Considering it took me about 30 hours to install and update all of my software (even with a Samsung SSD), I see no reason to update to Win 10 when it's released.
Old 30th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
I've been on 8.1 since my new DAW build in mid-December. I think it's the best MS OS to date and I'm thrilled with it. I was expecting, due to all the internet chatter, a struggle and huge learning curve. Fortunately, nothing could be further from the truth.

Considering it took me about 30 hours to install and update all of my software (even with a Samsung SSD), I see no reason to update to Win 10 when it's released.
FWIW, if you update to Windows 10 within the first year of its release, it'll be free (to anyone updating from Windows 7 or Windows 8.x).

We have some audio features in there which you may want to take advantage of. We're also working heavily with pro audio companies to bring them up to speed here. We have much more to do, but Windows 10 is really the start of our reinvestment in pro audio.

Of course, that's entirely up to you. I wanted to make sure you have the info, though.

Pete
Old 30th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemuso View Post
Ive just ordered a new daw with windows 8.1.
is anyone running cubase 5.5 on this? Maybe I needto upgradecubase alsobut would prefer not to right now.
cheers.
I'm running 7.5 currently on my main 8.1 PC. Works quite well. I haven't used 5.5 in quite some time.

Pete
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
FWIW, if you update to Windows 10 within the first year of its release, it'll be free (to anyone updating from Windows 7 or Windows 8.x).

We have some audio features in there which you may want to take advantage of. We're also working heavily with pro audio companies to bring them up to speed here. We have much more to do, but Windows 10 is really the start of our reinvestment in pro audio.

Of course, that's entirely up to you. I wanted to make sure you have the info, though.

Pete
Thanks for the info, Pete!

What's the procedure to upgrade? If there are several new improvements and features, I'll set aside a few days to reinstall everything later this year.
Old 30th January 2015
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Pete!

What's the procedure to upgrade? If there are several new improvements and features, I'll set aside a few days to reinstall everything later this year.
Windows 10 won't be out until later this year. We'll announce the upgrade procedure either at Build or at RTM.

I doubt you'll have to rebuild your system, though. We're really trying to make the upgrades painless. But, judge us on what actually happens, not on my enthusiasm

Pete
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Windows 10 won't be out until later this year. We'll announce the upgrade procedure either at Build or at RTM.

I doubt you'll have to rebuild your system, though. We're really trying to make the upgrades painless. But, judge us on what actually happens, not on my enthusiasm

Pete
Thanks again, Pete!

I've never had any luck upgrading over an existing OS, so I'll likely wipe and reload. It's not Windows that's time consuming but Komplete 10, Toontrack and all the downloads and updates. But the latest Win 8.1 and pro audio software loaded much more quickly than in the past because im using an SSD as the system drive, like 24 hours versus 40 or more in the past.
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks again, Pete!

I've never had any luck upgrading over an existing OS, so I'll likely wipe and reload. It's not Windows that's time consuming but Komplete 10, Toontrack and all the downloads and updates. But the latest Win 8.1 and pro audio software loaded much more quickly than in the past because im using an SSD as the system drive, like 24 hours versus 40 or more in the past.
Always wipe and reload. Save the old hard drive and archive it. It's not worth it to do anything else.

GL
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbotkiller View Post
Always wipe and reload. Save the old hard drive and archive it. It's not worth it to do anything else.

GL
Yeah, that's always been my experience, although I'm not too thrilled about going through that process again so soon.
Old 4th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbotkiller View Post

GL
Depends. 8->8.1 is best done in-place. TBD on 8.1->10.

You'll find that some of the upgrades really do a wipe and reload behind the scenes anyway. It just restores data and apps, but not applications in those cases.

In any case, from 10 forward, this becomes moot because there won't be giant OS releases. Instead, there will be periodic updates.

For me, if I'm going to go through a wipe and reload, I'll use the opportunity to upgrade the SSD and/or the whole machine at the time. That's what I intend to do with Windows 10. This PC is great, but a bit long in the tooth. I built it in 2010 and have, since then, doubled the memory, added a second video card, and replaced the SSD, but I want to hop on a more current Intel architecture.

Pete
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear
I suppose it's possible that the free upgrade may be a downloadable update only, like from 8 to 8.1. I've got two canned OEM 8>8.1 computers and two 8.1 Pro builds. Is there a "pro" difference in 10, and can both be updated free? I guess it's wait and see.
Old 7th February 2015
Quote:
I suppose it's possible that the free upgrade may be a downloadable update only, like from 8 to 8.1. I've got two canned OEM 8>8.1 computers and two 8.1 Pro builds. Is there a "pro" difference in 10, and can both be updated free? I guess it's wait and see.
We haven't yet released any information on the SKUs that will be offered, or how the update will happen.

It's reasonable to assume the update will be via the Internet, though. Not sure if "downloadable" so you can apply to multiple machines.

Pete
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

I have to say after a 8->8.1 install that my experience was far worse than previous reinstall... I think I tried to download and instal 3 or 4 different "ISO" files but with all of the different version mismatches and confusion regarding differences between them... Lets just say I really would have liked to be able to download 1 ISO and be done - regardless of the pro/home versions. With the free upgrade option (for the first year) from any windows 7 or 8 will be a winner (hopefully) if we can actually use those SKU's we have laying around. Too much work otherwise...
Old 7th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
I have to say after a 8->8.1 install that my experience was far worse than previous reinstall... I think I tried to download and instal 3 or 4 different "ISO" files but with all of the different version mismatches and confusion regarding differences between them... Lets just say I really would have liked to be able to download 1 ISO and be done - regardless of the pro/home versions. With the free upgrade option (for the first year) from any windows 7 or 8 will be a winner (hopefully) if we can actually use those SKU's we have laying around. Too much work otherwise...
Sorry you had difficulties with that 8.1 upgrade.

But the 8->8.1 upgrade wasn't something to do with an ISO. It was to be done right through the store.

You could get 8.1 as an ISO, but it wasn't really intended as an upgrade as I recall.

As to being able to get an ISO of the latest bits in the future, I understand that.

Pete
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Yes 8.1 did not accept 8 keys
And my retail upgrade key from 8 did not work on the OEm usb stick for my Dell XPS
once i did download the retail online intaller it said my underlaying OS (a crashed 8.1) wasn't valid
ONLY after removing all partitions, installing via a self created USB stick (created with the online installer of V8)
Activate that version and THEN instal 8.1 i was able to activate.
The previous attempt i was stuck after upgrading to 8.1 BEFORE I activated 8 :( 8.1 did not accept the 8 key
And as a kicker i needed to call the activation hotline as windows decided the key was in use elsewhere (yes indeed my previous install duh......)
Though I'm fully supporting piracy protection, this was not a good user experience.
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear
I don't recall needing keys. It downloaded and installed. If I remember correctly.
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't recall needing keys. It downloaded and installed. If I remember correctly.
yes for installing the upgrade you don't need keys
but doing a virgin install 8.1 does not accept 8.0 keys
so you need to re-install 8.0 first, activate it and then install 8.1
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
yes for installing the upgrade you don't need keys
but doing a virgin install 8.1 does not accept 8.0 keys
so you need to re-install 8.0 first, activate it and then install 8.1
Got it. I misunderstood.
Old 7th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
Yes 8.1 did not accept 8 keys
And my retail upgrade key from 8 did not work on the OEm usb stick for my Dell XPS
once i did download the retail online intaller it said my underlaying OS (a crashed 8.1) wasn't valid
ONLY after removing all partitions, installing via a self created USB stick (created with the online installer of V8)
Activate that version and THEN instal 8.1 i was able to activate.
The previous attempt i was stuck after upgrading to 8.1 BEFORE I activated 8 :( 8.1 did not accept the 8 key
And as a kicker i needed to call the activation hotline as windows decided the key was in use elsewhere (yes indeed my previous install duh......)
Though I'm fully supporting piracy protection, this was not a good user experience.
Yeah. I've heard about that scenario. Sorry you ran into it.

Hopefully we don't do that again.

Pete
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends. 8->8.1 is best done in-place. TBD on 8.1->10.

You'll find that some of the upgrades really do a wipe and reload behind the scenes anyway. It just restores data and apps, but not applications in those cases.

In any case, from 10 forward, this becomes moot because there won't be giant OS releases. Instead, there will be periodic updates.

For me, if I'm going to go through a wipe and reload, I'll use the opportunity to upgrade the SSD and/or the whole machine at the time. That's what I intend to do with Windows 10. This PC is great, but a bit long in the tooth. I built it in 2010 and have, since then, doubled the memory, added a second video card, and replaced the SSD, but I want to hop on a more current Intel architecture.

Pete
Well, as things change, sure.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search