The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite Sample Libraries for Kontakt
Old 31st October 2012
Here for the gear

Favorite Sample Libraries for Kontakt

I just wanted to get other people's input on their favorite libraries in Kontakt. Any instrument, any genre, it doesn't matter.
My favorite percussion library is definitely Heavyocity's Damage. GREAT quality sounds.
and the best piano library in my opinion is the Giant, very projective.
any other useful libraries people are thankful for?
Old 31st October 2012
Gear Addict

i quite like Alicias keys as a 'better than kontakt comes with' piano..pretty stock, gets used a lot.
I also got the evolve stuff...sounds a bit csi **** if thats all you use, but theres some nice bits in there that can get you up and running in TV/Film/Trailer..even pop stuff here and there.
I was going to get Damage, but the demos all sound a bit Judge Dredd soundtrack. Is there much use outside of the US action soundtrack/trailer stuff? I was genuinely putting in my card details when I gave evolve a quick listen and jumped ship.
Old 31st October 2012
Here for the gear

Before I got Damage I felt the same way, but now I think Damage is much much more applicable than just the dark soundtrack/trailer kind of sound. I use it in my post rock/ambient project all the time, I definitely recommend it. However, I'm uncertain about how similar it is to Evolve..
I've wanted Evolve but I fear that it'll feel redundant
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Kontakt factory library is very good. Aside from that I like:

Galaxy Vintage D - Best sounding and most flexible piano. You can pretty much make it sound however you want. I wanted to like Alicia's Keys since it was sampled from a Yamaha, but honestly, Vintage D is much better for Pop stuff and I think it can actually sound more Yamaha-like than Alicia's Keys since AK is rather dull sounding. Sorry, it's just not good for pop stuff... dull R&B, sure. Also, Alicia's Keys has some phase problems at certain times.

Session Strings Pro - Great strings for pop and dance music if you want that intimate and not-so-big sound. It's also the best option if you want those disco scoops.

LA Scoring Strings - The best all-around strings library.

West Africa - Great ethnic add-on to Kontakt's factory library.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

1. Dream Audio Tools (just discovered these guys. wow is all I can say! and thank you is all i can say about the price!! Dr. Bill if you read this check out their piano!!)

2. 8DIO (I have the 1928 Steinway, Requeim Pro, Libero, Adagio, Songwriting Guitar and one more I can't think of).

3. Heaviocity (Love these guys as well - I have Evolve Mutations I & II)

4. Cinematic Strings

5. Tone Hammer Emotional Piano

6. NI Session Strings, Session Strings Pro

7. NI Session Funk Guitarist (this is really, really, REALLY good!!)

8. Evolution - Strawberry Guitar (or whatever it's called)

9. Imperfect Samples (more amazing pianos)

And a bunch more I'm forgetting.....

I just wish Kontakt (I'm on 5) wasn't so 'clunky' and crash prone w/in PT. I always run it in VE Pro 64 Server and hope the 64 bit version of pt can handle Kontakt well. So many instruments use that engine!!

Cheers,

Scott
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amemorystream View Post
Before I got Damage I felt the same way, but now I think Damage is much much more applicable than just the dark soundtrack/trailer kind of sound. I use it in my post rock/ambient project all the time, I definitely recommend it. However, I'm uncertain about how similar it is to Evolve..
Evolve is more percussion sequences that are already recorded and you also get melodic stuff. Damage is mainly one shots and kits with some percussion sequences.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Symphobia 1+2
Albion 1+2
8Dio Adagio
The Samplemodeling instruments (trumpet, trombone, saxes etc.)
Ethno World 5
Vir 2 Q
Morphestra
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Well -

* Studio Drummer (being a drummer)
* Vir 2's Global Percussion (Vir2 is insane)
* Mojo Horns (Tower of Power in a box)
* LA Scoring Strings
* NI's Mark One rhodes
* And Funk Guitarist of course

...also Prominy's V-Metal (guitar) - extremely heavy
Old 31st October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amemorystream View Post
For the percussion elements, Damage will win hands down...and if its all I wanted, i would have got it...but Evolve is bits of percussion (trailer tom loops, filtered beats, hits etc) and the rest melodic, basses, atmos etc. So for the project I was doing, it felt a bit more usefull to me at the time...and I used it on the project, so money well spent. (its also half the price of Damage..but a very different product, not comparable really)

Back on topic...I am searching for a new string package. Heard good things about Cinematic Strings..and need to get an imperfect piano too at some stage.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

- Bela D Media Celtic Wind

- Heavyocity Evolve Mutations

- Sample Logic Cinematic Guitars

- Chocolate Audio Mock Bass

- Dream Audio Tools Dream Keys

- Soundiron Drinking Piano
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritace View Post

Back on topic...I am searching for a new string package.
The strings in the new Albion II Loegria are to die for. And the ambiance, wow...lovely...

Old 1st November 2012
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=Paul in SoCal;8407446]The strings in the new Albion II Loegria are to die for. And the ambiance, wow...lovely...

thanks, i was looking at the Spitfire stuff...amazing sound. Even there free felt piano is so usable and handy..great to have.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Addict

Wow Loegria Sounds Amazing
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

PIANO
-- Alicia's Keys
-- Tonehammer Emotional Piano
-- Piano in Blue (despite weird velocity curve)

DRUMS
-- NI Abbey Road Sixties
-- NI Studio Drummer

KEYS
-- NI Vintage Organs
-- NeoSoul Suitcase
-- HollowSun CP70

HORNS
-- Chris Hein

STRINGS
-- Session Strings for pop, orchestral I dunno.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Maniac

Tari's "Anthology Vol 1 Celtic Wind"
Orange Tree Samples "Passion Flute"
Sampleism "Bandoneon"
8dio "Solo Frame Drums"
Soundprovocation "Ethnic Bagpipe"
Precisionsound "Shrutibox"
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

+1 on Samplemodeling, those guys are doing some special work there.

I have recently fallen in love with Neocymatics Hybrid Strings, so much so I'm doing a GB for it. Probably one of the most expressive string libraries out there.
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
- Bela D Media Celtic Wind

- Heavyocity Evolve Mutations

- Sample Logic Cinematic Guitars

- Chocolate Audio Mock Bass

- Dream Audio Tools Dream Keys

- Soundiron Drinking Piano
Hi Pschelfh,

Nice list. I am actually interesting in Chocolate Audio Mock Bass. I e-mailed the developer and still haven't gotten a response yet. Didn't get a response when I e-mailed him a few months back. Does this require the full version of Kontakt or can I use the free version of Kontakt? Do you know if it can be used with later versions? I know its written for 2.2 and wonder if it works with 3,4,5 free versions.

Also, I don't see this older library getting many plugs. Everyone talks about Scarbee, Hein, Prominy, or Cherry Electric Bass but no Chocolate Audio. What made you choose this one? I have Prominy and judging from the demos I like the Mock Bass the best but can't find much info on it. Thanks in advance.

AC
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC222 View Post
Hi Pschelfh,

Nice list. I am actually interesting in Chocolate Audio Mock Bass. I e-mailed the developer and still haven't gotten a response yet. Didn't get a response when I e-mailed him a few months back. Does this require the full version of Kontakt or can I use the free version of Kontakt? Do you know if it can be used with later versions? I know its written for 2.2 and wonder if it works with 3,4,5 free versions.

Also, I don't see this older library getting many plugs. Everyone talks about Scarbee, Hein, Prominy, or Cherry Electric Bass but no Chocolate Audio. What made you choose this one? I have Prominy and judging from the demos I like the Mock Bass the best but can't find much info on it. Thanks in advance.

AC
I don't know if it works with the free versions of Kontakt, I use it with the full version of Kontakt 5, and before that, 4.2.

I also don't know why it isn't more popular, I really like the sound of the Rock version, no further processing necessary.
I think I've tried most of the other libs, but with this one I can mimic my own playing style the most (mostly legato). I make all the demos for my band with it.

Peter.
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
I don't know if it works with the free versions of Kontakt, I use it with the full version of Kontakt 5, and before that, 4.2.

I also don't know why it isn't more popular, I really like the sound of the Rock version, no further processing necessary.
I think I've tried most of the other libs, but with this one I can mimic my own playing style the most (mostly legato). I make all the demos for my band with it.

Peter.
Thank you Peter! Really appreciate your post. I too noticed that it can do the legato well also. The Prominy SR5 also excels in this area but the library is huge and is taxing on a slower computer. Same with Trillian and the legato imo is not good on that and didn't seem too good on the hein or cherry tree. As from Scarbee and its various demos, that seems decent but not my cup of tea. Also didn't like the Pettinhouse DirectBass. I thought it was the least realistic of the above. Maybe the Chocolate Audio is a hidden gem but sounds like you have great ears and great taste; I'll try to see if this works with the free Kontakt player and if it does, will pick up for sure. If anybody else knows, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks again Peter!

AC
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Maniac

I'd recommend Soniccouture, lots of unusual stuff :

Products | Professional Samples & Instruments for Kontakt, Ableton Live, EXS24 | Soniccouture
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

great thread !! not much here yet...curious though, keep it coming...

NI AbbeyRoad 60s/70s

Bitley Fairlight for Kontakt

Cinematique Instruments (awesome)

Sonic Couture - Broken Wurli (and cool other stuff too, Skiddaw Stones, Novachord, The Conservatoire Collection, etc.)

Imperfect Samples - Braunschweig Upright (my favorite piano for rock/indie/songwriter)
Old 23rd October 2013
Here for the gear

TG elements - Studio G Core Kit

If you are looking for the most realistic and playable drum library for Kontakt, check out The Studio G Core Kit from TG elements. The web site will be up in 2 weeks or so and in the meanwhile you can get a sneak peak at the library on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQeeY...pbseLS1nhk1MEQ
Old 25th October 2013
Here for the gear

I love the Hollow Sun stuff (although, it's getting so "out there" at the moment! lol) and I love seeing what they have up next.

Another vote for sonic couture, although my samples folder is begging for some respite! The glitchy textures of Konkrete 3 are my (current) favourite, but the extended piano is a great workhorse for me and their freebies I would consider paying for!

The Tonehammer libraries never leave my HD are are often great for initial drones concepts.

Last but not least, Bolder Sounds do some great things, especially love their Harmoniums.
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

Damage is excellent, although I am starting to hear it being used in practically everything. I also love the Friedlander Violin by Embertone. Easily the best I've heard, although it's a serious RAM hog. Drums of War is nice, but I don't like the fact it doesn't create a Library on install.

...but but but... Spitfire Audio's Hans Zimmer percussion is coming soon, which I think is going to be seriously great - although probably a wallet hog too! Spitfire's Albion stuff is very very nice.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC222 View Post
Thank you Peter! Really appreciate your post. I too noticed that it can do the legato well also. The Prominy SR5 also excels in this area but the library is huge and is taxing on a slower computer. Same with Trillian and the legato imo is not good on that and didn't seem too good on the hein or cherry tree. As from Scarbee and its various demos, that seems decent but not my cup of tea. Also didn't like the Pettinhouse DirectBass. I thought it was the least realistic of the above. Maybe the Chocolate Audio is a hidden gem but sounds like you have great ears and great taste; I'll try to see if this works with the free Kontakt player and if it does, will pick up for sure. If anybody else knows, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks again Peter!

AC
Another bass lib I just bought is NI Scarbee Rickenbacker bass, sounds great when playing legato, I even bought me a real 4003 after hearing it (something I always wanted)!

Peter.
Old 6th November 2013
Lives for gear
I'm loving Cinesamples stuff: Piano in Blue, Hollywoodwinds, and Voxos.

Also.. LA Scoring Strings and Mojo Horns. And lastly... the old garritan Stradivari library. Best virtual solo violin on the planet. They don't sell it anymore.
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

All the Adagio series from 8Dio.
Olympus choir from Soundiron
Scarbee basses
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
...but but but... Spitfire Audio's Hans Zimmer percussion is coming soon, which I think is going to be seriously great - although probably a wallet hog too! Spitfire's Albion stuff is very very nice.

Spitfire Audio's Hans Zimmer percussion is nothing to do with Hans Zimmer. They just using his name to sell their newly recorded drums.

Hans never used those drums/percussions in his work, so the name "Hans Zimmer percussion" is a very misleading.
Old 14th November 2013
Gear Addict
I've recently discovered Rhythmic Robot - fantastic sounds and elegant, inspiring GUIs. Crazy cheap too!
Old 14th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycactus View Post
Spitfire Audio's Hans Zimmer percussion is nothing to do with Hans Zimmer. They just using his name to sell their newly recorded drums.

Hans never used those drums/percussions in his work, so the name "Hans Zimmer percussion" is a very misleading.
Not true at all, they used the same players, instruments, mics, signal chains, supposedly even some instruments from his personal collection. He was involved to a degree with the production and mixing as well. Obviously it's not going to have every percussion sound he's ever used but it will have many of them.

Have you even checked out any of the info about the library, or did you just jump to that conclusion without knowing anything about it? Info is up now, releases in a couple weeks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search