The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Announces VIRTUAL BUSS COMPRESSORS
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
But I don't think, that Slate Digital is in need of such kind of funding strategy.
Everyone needs funding.
Even Hedge funds worth hundreds of millions.
Cash rules everything around me.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSon View Post
Everyone needs funding.
Nonsense, for a project/product you can either get either external investors/banks on board or you can cross finance with existing products/contracts. Or, in case of larger conpanies, you have a budget fed by your cash flow/reserve funds.

Quote:
Even Hedge funds worth hundreds of millions.
Cash rules everything around me.
???
Afaik Slate Digital isn't listed on stock exchange...
Old 28th May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Step 1 Announce wild claims about new superior audio plugin product on popular forum.

Step 2 Point investors to posts made by salivating gearslutz to secure funding.

Step 3 Develop incredible software using secured funds, making sure your ass cashes the check your mouth wrote (note: this may take longer than expected - so be prepared to write sef-righteous indignant copy admonishing impatient users in the name of outstanding audio).

I hope we at least get a really great tool out of it.
Anticipation sure turns 95% of Gearslutz into moronic thread trolls, complete with the swift decline in both basic reading skills and comprehension. Case in point.
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
Nonsense, for a project/product you can either get either external investors/banks on board or you can cross finance with existing products/contracts. Or, in case of larger conpanies, you have a budget fed by your cash flow/reserve funds.

???
Afaik Slate Digital isn't listed on stock exchange...
But either way, you have to justify the expense/satisfy yourself that your efforts will meet reward.

Of course Slate isn't that big... Businesses just follow the same principles. That is all.
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.griffith View Post
Anticipation sure turns 95% of Gearslutz into moronic thread trolls, complete with the swift decline in both basic reading skills and comprehension. Case in point.
I don't work for Slate digital.

Neither troll nor shill am I.

How 'bout you friend?
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Compressor? I don't even know her.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Old 28th May 2013
Gear Addict

Cmon Mr slate. I'm about to invest my VBC money into hardware
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Why is everyone acting like there are no other bus compressor plugins out there?
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex View Post
Why is everyone acting like there are no other bus compressor plugins out there?
Seriously, its like crack- gotta have it NOW or they go thru withdrawal .
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex View Post
It speaks to our (well, at least my own) confidence that Slate's offering will top the existing ones.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo22 View Post
Cmon Mr slate. I'm about to invest my VBC money into hardware
Damn! He'd better hurry up right now, eh?

But, on a serious note, I'm sure he's going to wake up, come straight to the gearslutz forum while he waits for coffee to brew, read this, freak out a bit at the idea of losing you as a potential customer and then rethink his whole 'release a product when it's ready for market' policy.

Come on, Mr Slate! You have one hour to release this software before this chap goes elsewhere with his loot!

Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekloos View Post
Seriously, its like crack- gotta have it NOW or they go thru withdrawal .
Crack? The drug? Or you mean to crack someone else plugin and sell it with another GUI?
Old 28th May 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post
Compressor? I don't even know her.
Finally, a post that really resonates with me!!

VBC going to beta today. I can't make it act naughty so I assume this will be quickkkkk.

I'm gonna post some demos today too.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Finally, a post that really resonates with me!!

VBC going to beta today. I can't make it act naughty so I assume this will be quickkkkk.

I'm gonna post some demos today too.

Cheers,
Steven
Steven if you end up creating a new thread for the new audio samples, please post here to let us know!
Old 28th May 2013

Ok here are some examples. Sorry, you'll have to level match as I used presets and had to increase the threshold to get less compression because the example I'm using is already compressed a bit.

So a nice 24bit 96khz punchy rock mix (this is the drums up mix) I did for George Lynch a few years ago:

www.slatedigital.com/vbc/Original.wav

here is the CLA preset on the Red. Notice the overall vibe enhancement, the mid clarity, the tightness of lows, and the extra punch:

www.slatedigital.com/vbc/RED2.wav

Here is ClassicMix preset on FG-GREY. Notice the punch and the roundness of the lows due to the fat transformer we put in it. Might be a tad heavy on this mix but if I were mixing into it, it would be awesome:

www.slatedigital.com/vbc/ClassicMix1.wav

And here is a faster attack and slightly less compression which is better suited for this already punchy mix:

www.slatedigital.com/vbc/ClassicMix2.wav

And here is the MU. Notice how everything opens up. More clarity, more tightness, and much more analog vibe. There is very little compression happening here.. it's mostly the circuit adding the tone:

www.slatedigital.com/vbc/MUGlue.wav

And now one with the attack and release very slow which actually makes the MU fairly tight and punchy (faster attack makes it very smooth):

www.slatedigital.com/vbc/MUSlow.wav

I'll post some other genre mixes soon.. as again, this mix is already punchy and the extra snap these comps give it isn't quite necessary.. but you can certainly hear the tone from the examples and the unique vibe of each comp.

I'd highly recommend lining up all the files in your DAW and listening on a great monitoring system or great phones.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

This is great, can't wait to really dig in deep. For now, if anybody wants to know the values to get within about +/- .3 dB for level matching:

Red: -.47
Grey1: unity
Grey2: -.62
MU Slow: +.91
MU Glue: +.95

So far though, the grey2 and the MU Glue setting sound f*cking great! I mean they all do, but the context of course gives way to certain settings. I can't believe the damn color of the MU!
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

The MUGlue file sounds amazing ! I really like how that one colors the sound. Nice mids.

As well as does the ClassicMix1. The lowend is fat.

Not sure about the RedCLA, seems to me that is has the less character to my ears out of these examples.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
This is great, can't wait to really dig in deep. For now, if anybody wants to know the values to get within about +/- .3 dB for level matching:

Red: -.47
Grey1: unity
Grey2: -.62
MU Slow: +.91
MU Glue: +.95

So far though, the grey2 and the MU Glue setting sound f*cking great! I mean they all do, but the context of course gives way to certain settings. I can't believe the damn color of the MU!
Thanks for the info, really helpful.

By the way, how did you calculate these differences ?
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
The MUGlue file sounds amazing ! I really like how that one colors the sound. Nice mids.

As well as does the ClassicMix1. The lowend is fat.

Not sure about the RedCLA, seems to me that is has the less character to my ears out of these examples.
I agree about the RedCLA here. Steven, in the original post, there seemed to be more going on with RED (I mentioned brutal then!), it seems much more tame here. Is it context? Or, may be very light settings? To me it still sounds good, I hear the push on the lows, especially in the kick, just wondering about the differences from the 1st shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash View Post
Thanks for the info, really helpful.

By the way, how did you calculate these differences ?
Not a problem at all..
I like to loop several regions with dynamic variances, then take the average from those 3 regions for that track of my target RMS. Normally that target is from the original/dry source. If I were giving absolute values, I would mention AES or Non-AES values. But since it is a matter of padding or adding dB, they are just amounts.

EDIT: and yes, classic1 is fat as hell. The transformer emulation is really interesting.
Old 29th May 2013

I went pretty light on the RED because it gets very punchy very fast. I'll run another for you guys to compare.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

I've been waiting for VBC for ages but don't bring it out in June because I'm buying Ableton Push. I can just see VBC messing up my next gear buying plan.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I went pretty light on the RED because it gets very punchy very fast. I'll run another for you guys to compare.

Cheers,
Steven
Great, keep it coming .
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

I like what the Red does to the lower frequency range, really rounds out the bass while keeping it tight. The MU sounds great on the mids, adding depth to the transients, I can hear the air around the snare and the vocal. Very nice!
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Addict

Love the MUslow mix, it reminds me of my lovely hardware Vari-mu on slow settings. It's gonna be a great plugin for sure
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
Damn! He'd better hurry up right now, eh?

But, on a serious note, I'm sure he's going to wake up, come straight to the gearslutz forum while he waits for coffee to brew, read this, freak out a bit at the idea of losing you as a potential customer and then rethink his whole 'release a product when it's ready for market' policy.

Come on, Mr Slate! You have one hour to release this software before this chap goes elsewhere with his loot!

take it easy buddy. Was juuust kidding.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Steven, a question that has been asked a number of times without an answer is if there is sidechaining. Can we have an answer please?
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Step 1 Announce wild claims about new superior audio plugin product on popular forum.

Step 2 Point investors to posts made by salivating gearslutz to secure funding.

Step 3 Develop incredible software using secured funds, making sure your ass cashes the check your mouth wrote (note: this may take longer than expected - so be prepared to write sef-righteous indignant copy admonishing impatient users in the name of outstanding audio).

I hope we at least get a really great tool out of it.
I'm telling you Steven Slate follows the Book Yourself Solid marketing system to a T!

Tease (to build anticipation), taste (lovely looking GUIs, sound demos), get OTHERS spreading word of mouth for you, building trust (The CEO is an engineer in L.A. who has worked with NAME musicians and has engineers who work with NAME artists endorsing his products), giveaways/sales, Web 2.0 (top level guys conversing directly with customers via Facebook, Twitter and message boards) and then most importantly DELIVERING ON THE PRODUCT OR SERVICE!

I wouldn't have taken Slate Digital seriously in the beginning if the drum samples didn't kick so much ass. You can't lie about sound quality...it's there or it isn't. You can't spell Slate without late but damn it if him and Fabrice don't deliver on their promises!
Old 29th May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Steven, a question that has been asked a number of times without an answer is if there is sidechaining. Can we have an answer please?
Hi, sorry it's hard to catch everything. The VBC comps are mostly meant for major stereo use like mixbuss, drums, overheads, subgroups so we didn't put a sidechain on them.

But we have something else in the works that is more suited for sidechaining. I'm not even gonna begin to tease any more lest I get stoned alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
You can't spell Slate without late
Damn it. He's right. I just tried for twenty minutes. No dice.

So you guys dig the bottom on the FG-GREY or what? Pretty cool what that transformer does to the bottom in my opinion. I always wished my SSL would have a hot and steamy night with my Neve, and now my dream has come true.

I'll post some more dramatic RED examples tomorrow. It's definitely gonna be a favorite for sure.

The MU scares me sometimes. It does so much to the tone of the mix but it does it in a way that enhances it rather than muck it up. The needle was just peaking at 2db on those examples. I'll also post another demo of just going through the MU.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi, sorry it's hard to catch everything. The VBC comps are mostly meant for major stereo use like mixbuss, drums, overheads, subgroups so we didn't put a sidechain on them.

But we have something else in the works that is more suited for sidechaining. I'm not even gonna begin to tease any more lest I get stoned alive.

Damn it. He's right. I just tried for twenty minutes. No dice.

So you guys dig the bottom on the FG-GREY or what? Pretty cool what that transformer does to the bottom in my opinion. I always wished my SSL would have a hot and steamy night with my Neve, and now my dream has come true.

I'll post some more dramatic RED examples tomorrow. It's definitely gonna be a favorite for sure.

The MU scares me sometimes. It does so much to the tone of the mix but it does it in a way that enhances it rather than muck it up. The needle was just peaking at 2db on those examples. I'll also post another demo of just going through the MU.

Cheers,
Steven
Thanks for the reply. I understand the decision to leave sidechaining out for use on busses, it's not a big deal for me, but I do like options.
Interesting tease on the other product, wise not to say too much I guess.

Listening to the Grey again, and I can hear a lovely warmth on the bass, and it all sounds so effortless. So looking forward to using these.

And remember: Better Slate than never!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search