The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL vs what else? SSL
Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

SSL vs what else? SSL

With all the SSL Plug-ins out these days Compare for yourself
the Contenders:

01.wav = Digidesign Impact TDM
02.wav = Waves SSL TDM
03.wav = Waves SSL RTAS
04.wav = SSL Duende
05.wav = Focusrite Liquid Mix with SSL compressor sample
06.wav = URS 1980 TDM
07.wav = URS 1980 RTAS
Attached Files

01.wav (5.58 MB, 24998 views)

02.wav (5.58 MB, 25786 views)

03.wav (5.58 MB, 24992 views)

04.wav (5.58 MB, 27117 views)

05.wav (5.58 MB, 21152 views)

Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

Last 3 Files
Attached Files

06.wav (5.58 MB, 19856 views)

07.wav (5.58 MB, 18160 views)

No Comp.wav (5.58 MB, 20079 views)

Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

The Settings if anyone cares to post a hardware SSL Comp
Attached Thumbnails
SSL vs what else? SSL-picture-2.jpg  
Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

The Duende one sounds the best.

Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface
The Duende one sounds the best.

My pick as well....

LOL

T_R_S, any chance of posting the original unprocessed files as well?
Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

I was tossed between the Duende and the Digidesign Impact...I think the Digidesign Impact sounds more favorable to this type of song..it sounds slightly warmer to my ears...this is a great sounding song by the way...I love that whole 70's dance vibe with the female vocals..did you produce this T_R_S?
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

I guess I should have said this is a blind test
The Comps listed are not in the correct order. The file NOCOMP.wav is no compression
1st hint Wrong guess 01.wav is NOT Duende
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
I guess I should have said this is a blind test
The Comps listed are not in the correct order. The file NOCOMP.wav is no compression

Sorry I missed that part.... carry on....

lol

Thanks man.
Old 17th July 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
1st hint Wrong guess 01.wav is NOT Duende
ha! here we go again
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Wow. I was expecting a much wider variation between the files. How much gain reduction are you hitting?

Honestly I like the nocomp version the best, followed by 1 and 7.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

In that case, I like #5....#1 sounds a little more up front but #5 compliments the style of music that I like. Did you produce that song T_R_S?
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Head

Wow! That is nerve racking. They all sound quite similar. There does seem to be some variation in the perceived level of some of the files, but if the settings are the same for each of the plugs it's a fair comparison. It could be how the comp squishes the highs differently which makes it appear softer. I did obviously have to match the "no comp" version and I have to agree with some of the other posts, it does sound really good as is.

Anyhoo, I like #6. Seems to be the most open while having that SSL "grab." I won't even begin to guess which one is which they are all so similar.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

I liked 5 and 6.....
Old 17th July 2006
Gear addict

I liked #6 the best and it does remind me a lot the G384 sound.
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Maniac

#6 fav, then #5 and #3...
not so: #1,#2,#7
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

First off.. wow what a great mix!!! Really nice work.

thumbsup

Is this your mix? It sounds like Natalie Merchant so maybe it is off one of her CD's, I don't know, I don't have anything from her (but she is cool).

Anyway...

Second I agree with others that there is not a huge difference to my ears with any of these but I am listening on phones so take this for what it is worth. 4 kind of stands out to me as having a little better middle, the snare is not a rounded on this as it is on 5 for instance (which would be my least favorite).

So all ITB? If it is then this is another good example of a great ITB mix that makes me less worried about hardware goodies... again hats off man, great mix.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Using my earphones/laptop, I believe example 1 to be URS 1980.

But it's hard to say, having not tested Duende and Liquid Mix.

ruudman
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

good song and mix overall the differenences in the plugs sound very subtle but i would like to hear how the real hardware compares, no matter how good a plug-in its never the same as hardware.
Old 17th July 2006
Gear maniac

I'm liking #2 the best so far...
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Are you sure the auto release on the Duende is totally working?
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Guru

I like #6 [has some bounce and depth]..and the no comp the best
7 was ok
The rest seem kinda flat compared to 6.
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
... i would like to hear how the real hardware compares, no matter how good a plug-in its never the same as hardware.
It might be good as a point of reference, but the point of the "test" is to compare the various plug ins to each other, not how much they sound like the original.

I liked #6. I don't really care how much it sounds like the real thing. It sounds the best to my ears. Would I buy the plug? I just might. Would I buy an SSL? No freakin' way.

Why is it every thread around here has someone chompin' at the bit to fire up the "hardware sounds better" argument. If you don't like plugs, don't buy them, and quit bending the ear of those of us who do. It's an old, stale, dead debate and it's REALLY tiresome.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

I’m not saying that hardware will always sound better, a plug-in can give you just what you need and if its something different not just an emulation there will be times where no hardware can do the same thing and having every piece of hardware that you can have an emulation of just isn’t feasible anyway. the point is they are two different things and no matter how good an emulation is its not the same as hardware. That doesn’t make it better or worse just that it is different.
I would be interested to hear the hardware unit as a references not because im going to run out and buy an SSL. If all these companies are going to use the 'have every piece of hardware in one box' to sell their products then its fair to make a comparison to the real thing. it doesn’t detract from how good a plug-in is in its own right but it often begs the question of why they call it the same thing as the hardware unit.
Old 17th July 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog
It might be good as a point of reference, but the point of the "test" is to compare the various plug ins to each other, not how much they sound like the original.
While in general that's true, I think this test is different, because it includes Duende. From the SSL site:
"Based on the digital technology behind SSL’s C-Series consoles, Duende delivers the complete SSL mix experience"
Also,
"...an authentic SSL channel strip with filters, E and G series EQ and dynamics processing, as well as the legendary SSL Stereo Bus Compressor. "

Since this product is being made by the very company being replicated, (and in print ads, SSL says "Not just an emulation - it's the real deal"), then I think it's very valid to ask what it sounds like comapred to other SSL products.

-Craig
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
If all these companies are going to use the 'have every piece of hardware in one box' to sell their products then its fair to make a comparison to the real thing. it doesn’t detract from how good a plug-in is in its own right but it often begs the question of why they call it the same thing as the hardware unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midigod
Since this product is being made by the very company being replicated, (and in print ads, SSL says "Not just an emulation - it's the real deal"), then I think it's very valid to ask what it sounds like comapred to other SSL products.
Good points, guys. They are all trying to sell these as emus of the real thing, so which one really does sound like the real thing. I don't think it would have much bearing on my purchase though. I would look at the plug that most pleased my ears. Back when the Waves SSL plugs came out there was a shootout with the real SSL buss comp, Waves and URS. I liked URS the best even though it didn't sound the most like the original. It will be interesting to see what #6 is. I'm afraid it's the Duende, cause I'd hate to have to shell out that kind of money for that sound.
Old 17th July 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog
It will be interesting to see what #6 is. I'm afraid it's the Duende, cause I'd hate to have to shell out that kind of money for that sound.
Well, you could always do worse (like buying a C200 for that sound)
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith
Are you sure the auto release on the Duende is totally working?
Well that question would be better off put to SSL .. but Duende has some bugs, and I found them in about 30 seconds from install stike
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Hi

That was me telling you, in a round about way, that it doesn't work yet! ...so your test isn't really fair.

It should come soon though... what it currently does is pretty pleasant! But not correct.

Cheers!
Old 18th July 2006
Gear maniac

i may in the minority but i like the no comp version the best.
Old 18th July 2006
Gear interested

Just curious T_R_S,
Looking at the pictures, the Duende threshold is just a notch below +20, while the Waves' threshold is just a notch below +15, though they're both at the same visual setting.

Does this mean that the threshold for the Duende was +18 while the threshold on the Waves was at +14, and that makes for a difference in how the 2 plugs behave?
Were all the plugs showing similar amounts of needle deflection (and is that even a measure you can't trust since that's modelled too?)

Thanks,
Greg
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search