The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
USB audio card + USB external connected device = problem: clicks, distorted sound. Audio Interfaces
Old 16th October 2012
Gear interested

USB audio card + USB external connected device = problem: clicks, distorted sound.

Got Presonus 44 VSL external USB sound card, everything is perfect until i try to connect an external USB device (e.x. USB Flash, USB HDD), once external USB device is connected to my desktop computer and i'm trying to copy some data from it (for e.x. from USB HDD), the sound card is starting to click, to give a distorted sound, disconnects/connects.

This issue was on other USB external soundcard - Scarlett 8i6. So i guess, this is not a certain USB sound card problem. It seems that the problem is lack of overall throughput of USB controller on the mainboard. Tried to connect the USB sound card to different USB slots/updated driver and etc.

The mainboard of desktop computer is Asrock 890GX Extreme3

The question is - is this normal effect ? Have you got the same problems ? Can it be the problem with AC/DC power adapter of the computer/mainboard ?
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

Are you connecting directly to the PC or through an external USB Hub? If you are using a USB hub, ditch that and connect directly to the PC. There are several internal (on the motherboard) USB hubs on most motherboards, including (usually) a separate hub for the front panel USB ports. Connect the audio interface unit (I don't call it a sound card as its not really that) to a rear USB 2.0 port (if you have USB 3.0 ports on the card do not use them as some will not work properly with 3.0 even though its supposed to be backward compatible). Then connect the flash drive or whatever to the front USB port and see if that makes a difference.

I have a new PC I recently built using an ASRock Z77 Professional motherboard and it has several USB2.0 and one USB 3.0 "hubs" on the motherboard. I also have a recently built system for my DAW computer using a Gigabyte Z77X UD5H motherboard and it too has multiple on board USB hubs.
Old 16th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrem3000 View Post
The question is - is this normal effect ? Have you got the same problems ? Can it be the problem with AC/DC power adapter of the computer/mainboard ?
I believe this is the problem about how the ASIO driver is written, and probably USB chip on the motherboard side. I use RME UFX via USB connection, and use USB3.0 external drive (bus powered, as audio drive), still able to record 20+ channels without pops/clicks. This is the same when UFX is connected to the desktop (Gigabyte X58 board).

So, if you are using desktop, choose or add internal SATA drive as audio drive, and reduce data flow from/to the USB connected devices as much as possible while using the audio interface.
Old 16th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
Are you connecting directly to the PC or through an external USB Hub? If you are using a USB hub, ditch that and connect directly to the PC. There are several internal (on the motherboard) USB hubs on most motherboards, including (usually) a separate hub for the front panel USB ports. Connect the audio interface unit (I don't call it a sound card as its not really that) to a rear USB 2.0 port (if you have USB 3.0 ports on the card do not use them as some will not work properly with 3.0 even though its supposed to be backward compatible). Then connect the flash drive or whatever to the front USB port and see if that makes a difference.
No, i'm not connecting USB audio device to the external USB hub, it s connected directly, tried to use different internal motherboard hubs - the same issue.
Old 16th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
So, if you are using desktop, choose or add internal SATA drive as audio drive, and reduce data flow from/to the USB connected devices as much as possible while using the audio interface.
All is clear, but this is not really the solution, i want to be able to listen to music and to backup the data to my external HDD.
Old 16th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrem3000 View Post
All is clear, but this is not really the solution, i want to be able to listen to music and to backup the data to my external HDD.
If it's for streaming audio, have you tried increasing ASIO buffer?
Old 16th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
If it's for streaming audio, have you tried increasing ASIO buffer?
It is used for music composing too, but while i'm copying the data from external drive i usually do not compose, just listening .
Standart WDM drivers are used while in Windows environment (for e.x. Winamp). The ASIO is used only in DAW, so there is no way to increase ASIO buffer.
Old 16th October 2012
Gear interested

I think i've found the solution: setting the REALTIME priority to audiodg.exe - "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" process, which is responsible for isolating the audio driver in Windows 7.
No issues found yet.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search