The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mac Mini/Mac Book Pro/Mac Pro and Logic/Pro Tools
Old 30th September 2012
Mac Mini/Mac Book Pro/Mac Pro and Logic/Pro Tools

Hey,

I hope I put this in the right place, I'm new here.

I'm sort of new to all this, I'm doing sound engineering in college and looking to make my own home studio.
Was just wondering which Mac you guys thought would be best for recording and what specs I should try to get, but keep in mind I'm a student and don't have an awful lot of money.

Also wondering which you guys prefer: Logic or Pro Tools and what the pros and cons of both are (just general pros and cons)

Thanks

bradforderz
Old 30th September 2012
Hey

I have both pro tools and logic running on mac. On a tight budget, a mac mini is probably the best unit to look at. You will also get Garageband with the mac which is a very useful songwriting tool.

Very broadly I would say if you're more engineering focussed, pro tools is a better bet and if you're more composition focussed logic is a better bet. If I was pushed to choose and allowed only one, I would choose logic but thats because i'm more into composing than recording. That said, I have recorded band's using logic and sequenced midi using pro tools (although required additional soft instruments). Being that you're on a budget, logic's built in effects and virtual instruments are better than the stock stuff you get with pro tools.

Cheers
Gregor
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear
Get the DAW that will help you through college. No point in getting logic when you need to hand in pro tools files!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search