The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The quality of Nebula 3 against quality VST's
Old 5th October 2012
  #61
Deleted 1846071
Guest
Aiyn, the sknote Verbtone is a very good algo (physically modeled) plate.
Old 5th October 2012
  #62
Lives for gear
 

After three or four years of being around, why hasn't anyone pressured the Nebula guys to get the cpu useage way down? Seems unacceptable.

Is there any way to install Nebula on say, a slave computer as a standalone, and route signals to the main daw? That may take some of the cpu load off a main daw.
Old 5th October 2012
  #63
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
I have some IK stuff, it's great. I love the 670 especially. I already have some pretty neat compressors. ArtsAcoustic, Elysia, Klanghelm and so on.

My real want is good high quality reverbs, I feel I just can't get enough of them, but I wan't my processing offloaded to be honest.

The reverbs I've been most impressed with are the TC Poco and the UAD 224 and EMT250.

In both cases I'd have many instances available with no detriment to my VSTI programs.

I don't know if I am really convinced with Valhalla room.

I just posted this thread to find out, what if anything comes close to this VXNT Plate reverb that is not on Nebula, so I could use it while composing.

Just another note, when I was younger, before POCO, people were amazed at the TC 6000 reverb, it was the flagship and costs thousands. Now I can get the whole thing, reverbs and mastering suite for $750 or so a JRR shop and no CPU worries either.

So there are some compelling reasons to me right now. UAD is also very attractive for this reason, not so much for the compressors which I probably will not end up buying, well maybe the 1176 collection one day, but the reverbs.

The pull of UAD is high quality reverbs, no cpu burden, and it's still in active development. I could think of the compressors and pultec as free with all that.
Ah, I gotcha... in that case, the UAD is probably the way to go. The 224 is really nice, haven't used the 250... As far as the Plate 140 goes, I think you'd like the VNXT better. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 5th October 2012
  #64
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Is there any way to install Nebula on say, a slave computer as a standalone, and route signals to the main daw? That may take some of the cpu load off a main daw.
Sure, why not? There are things like VST System Link, FX-Teleport, AU Net Send, etc...

In fact, I remember reading about a server version of Nebula on their site a while back, but I think it's still in beta testing... Maybe someone who knows more than I can chime in?
Old 22nd October 2012
  #65
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Sure, why not? There are things like VST System Link, FX-Teleport, AU Net Send, etc...

In fact, I remember reading about a server version of Nebula on their site a while back, but I think it's still in beta testing... Maybe someone who knows more than I can chime in?
Right now the server edition is still only supported as a local server. The audio "engine" is still better in this version, it can share RAM when using multiple instances of the same preset.
Old 22nd October 2012
  #66
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
After three or four years of being around, why hasn't anyone pressured the Nebula guys to get the cpu useage way down? Seems unacceptable.I
LOL. Nobody has pressured Acustica audio to get the CPU usage down because if you use Nebula more than a little bit, you not only can't NOT use it anymore because it sounds so good, and because you understand that they HAVE gotten the CPU usage down as much as they can given what is actually going on "under the hood". This is not simple math or traditional convolution or impulses. Read deeper into what Nebula technology is, it's very interesting and quite amazing. Using nebula requires a radical rethinking of work-flow for the trade-off of some very revolutionary audio tools. Especially for some of us who have years of analog gear experience and were not happy with the standard ITB sounds and possibilities but for a number of reasons are not willing or able to work in all analog audio. Nebula is not for everyone, but for the people that love to use it and are not going to quit, CPU usage is just one of the "charms" (LOL).
Old 22nd October 2012
  #67
Lives for gear
 

I can get 70+ instances of nebula and my CPU is only at 65% pretty efficient to me. But the buffer is upto max.
Old 22nd October 2012
  #68
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

I think that one of Nebulas strengths is the non-linearities that the analog gear provides. Like they say, most VSTs are just a "mask" on the sound. Nebula sounds more "3-D" and live.. but in the end, analog gear are real physical units and Nebula is still a simulation.

I guess it all comes down to 1 and 0's vs. real life gear.

Also, you can get hold of stuff that a lot of us can't afford or can't get to ever use. It wouldn't bother me one bit if it never hit the mainstream more.

Like, let's say, I get different peak readings every time I use Nebula on the master when I run trough a song (~0.5dB). I like also like the term "the Area 51", because you really get a hold of some really exotic and good sounding stuff.
Old 22nd October 2012
  #69
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by complex View Post
I can get 70+ instances of nebula and my CPU is only at 65% pretty efficient to me. But the buffer is upto max.
That's awesome. The other Nebula related topics that make me laugh are when people are all bent out of shape because they can only load a few instances while tracking at a buffer of 32 samples..... LOL. I would expect my DAW to go up in flames if I even thought about tracking in real-time at low latency with Nebula. Definitely a mix-down tool!! While I am thinking about it, the only other time that can be a bit awkward using Nebula, even when mixing, is when you have an uptight and unknowing client breathing down your back. I have seen people get so confused and almost explode. That is why I have decided to charge by the project, not by the hour. If I love the clients work and/or feel it is crucial to use nebula in a mix, then I do so by choice and figure that they are paying for a finished product that I believe in, and it is worth it to me to spend those extra few minutes. But for my own music..... I won't even start to describe my personal work-flow......
Old 23rd October 2012
  #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 1846071 View Post
Aiyn, the sknote Verbtone is a very good algo (physically modeled) plate.
I have it! I like it a lot!
Old 29th October 2012
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Cupwise's Avatar
 

i don't think it's been mentioned yet in this thread, for the people who are using multiple renders/mix downs to get to use multiple instances, if you haven't already you should look into zabukowski's nebulaman. if there are certain programs you find yourself using lots of, or on most/everything in a mix, such as console inputs, you could slap those on everything first with nebulaman before loading them up and actually getting down to the mix work. it's quick and easy.
and it's still progressing. 1.5 just came out.

his nebula setups program is a good thing to check out too (and it's free), when you get more 3rd party libraries. you can use it to cut down on the load time of nebula by creating separate copies of nebula, with each one only loading whatever part of your collection you need. so you can organize it in groups however you want.
once you do it, you see that it's kind of a must. sweet stuff.
Old 29th October 2012
  #72
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise View Post
i don't think it's been mentioned yet in this thread, for the people who are using multiple renders/mix downs to get to use multiple instances, if you haven't already you should look into zabukowski's nebulaman. if there are certain programs you find yourself using lots of, or on most/everything in a mix, such as console inputs, you could slap those on everything first with nebulaman before loading them up and actually getting down to the mix work. it's quick and easy.
and it's still progressing. 1.5 just came out.

his nebula setups program is a good thing to check out too (and it's free), when you get more 3rd party libraries. you can use it to cut down on the load time of nebula by creating separate copies of nebula, with each one only loading whatever part of your collection you need. so you can organize it in groups however you want.
once you do it, you see that it's kind of a must. sweet stuff.
+ a zillion for the Nebula Set-Ups program. I have over 30 different nebula instances customized for different uses, libraries, and sometimes for just 1 library. Load times are lightening fast, I can hardly remember what working with nebula the "old" way was like.
Old 29th October 2012
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Nebula Set Ups looks sweet but NO MAC VERSION???
Old 30th October 2012
  #74
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Nebula Set Ups looks sweet but NO MAC VERSION???
Yep, bummer.
Old 30th October 2012
  #75
Gear Maniac
 
zabukowski's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Yep, bummer.
Nebula Set-Ups as it is right now, will NOT be ported to osx.

But ... I've heard some rumours, that it will become NebulaMan (win, osx) extension some day

Zabukowski
Old 30th October 2012
  #76
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
Ok, Nebula has always been in the back of my mind and having Powercore and UAD sets, I have not let it bothered me too much, but from time to time, I think I would love to try it.

Going on the website, I can see Nebula itself, but it is not clear where to get all of the Library collections everyone recommends. Is there a central hub for these collections or is it on a developer by developer basis? Any recommendations?
Old 30th October 2012
  #77
Lives for gear
 

Just check the "3rd party libraries" subsection in the AcusticaAudio forum.
There is a list of library developers on their site aswell.

The most popular ones are from Analog in the Box, AlexB and CDSoundmaster.
There are lots of others available aswell!
Old 30th October 2012
  #78
Gear Maniac
 
Henry Olonga's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
LOL. Nobody has pressured Acustica audio to get the CPU usage down because if you use Nebula more than a little bit, you not only can't NOT use it anymore because it sounds so good, and because you understand that they HAVE gotten the CPU usage down as much as they can given what is actually going on "under the hood". This is not simple math or traditional convolution or impulses. Read deeper into what Nebula technology is, it's very interesting and quite amazing. Using nebula requires a radical rethinking of work-flow for the trade-off of some very revolutionary audio tools. Especially for some of us who have years of analog gear experience and were not happy with the standard ITB sounds and possibilities but for a number of reasons are not willing or able to work in all analog audio. Nebula is not for everyone, but for the people that love to use it and are not going to quit, CPU usage is just one of the "charms" (LOL).
Great answer Rich,

Nebula is definitely a mix down tool that asks you to change the way one approaches mixing but once you have understood what can be achieved it can be mind blowing. My method is quite unique I am sure. In fact I treat Nebula chains as hardware instances that I bounce down in realtime track by track. Sounds subjectively better to my ears bouncing down that way. I stack up my chains as if they are real hardware racks which are usually nebula presets with a combination of native, UAD and powercore high quality vsts - say for example a preamp into a console into a vst comp into an eq into a bus into an output and then bounce down through a spdif loop while I listen carefully. Not the workflow that many use I am sure but I find that what I hear is exactly what I get. I found bouncing faster than realtime gives slightly different results. I then move on to the next track and so on and so forth. The results absolutely easily pulverise anything I have achieved ITB without nebula to date with tools ten times the price. Nebulas workflow is a pain in the butt but the results when heard are effortless and pleasing in an ironic way. In other words you don't work so hard to get a desirable result, you just need time and Nebula makes it easy for you. Actually sounds just like my hardware and has made me understand why after years of using other plugins, my results were still not remotely close to what I would like. Nebula just makes sense for those who desire the utmost in quality at the sacrifice of time. There are definitely quicker high quality tools that get you almost there nowadays but Nebula is still king when authenticity is the goal IMHO.


Sent from my GT-P1000 2
Old 30th October 2012
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabukowski View Post
Nebula Set-Ups as it is right now, will NOT be ported to osx.

But ... I've heard some rumours, that it will become NebulaMan (win, osx) extension some day

Zabukowski
lol I'm sure you have a very good idea of when it will become that extension?

Old 30th October 2012
  #80
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
LOL. Nobody has pressured Acustica audio to get the CPU usage down because if you use Nebula more than a little bit, you not only can't NOT use it anymore because it sounds so good, and because you understand that they HAVE gotten the CPU usage down as much as they can given what is actually going on "under the hood". This is not simple math or traditional convolution or impulses.

It's not complicated maths (and is simpler in definition than convolution techniques BUT convolution doesn't involve mass iteration ) in calculus terms BUT it is highly iterative. There isn't much difficult about it but it is very processor intensive and a handful to code efficiently. they've done well to get it running as well as they have!!
Old 1st November 2012
  #81
I'm trying out softube grand channel right now, I have a hard time thinking nebula could be better but I need.to try it out more.. Do you all think it's much better than brainworx and spl or softube?
Old 1st November 2012
  #82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav View Post
I'm trying out softube grand channel right now, I have a hard time thinking nebula could be better but I need.to try it out more.. Do you all think it's much better than brainworx and spl or softube?
I do personally. Softube stuff is good no doubt. If you are using small amounts of it on well recorded material (thru nice front end) then I should think its not a huge deal. But for me - esp when working on sounds ITB - when boosting and cutting - Nebula EQ progs sounds more preferable...in fact I could not tell the difference on a scientific test Nebula vs the hardware (API 5500 Alex B programs). I find tho in reality I use a mix of algo and Nebula.
Old 2nd November 2012
  #83
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I do personally. Softube stuff is good no doubt. If you are using small amounts of it on well recorded material (thru nice front end) then I should think its not a huge deal. But for me - esp when working on sounds ITB - when boosting and cutting - Nebula EQ progs sounds more preferable...in fact I could not tell the difference on a scientific test Nebula vs the hardware (API 5500 Alex B programs). I find tho in reality I use a mix of algo and Nebula.
++^^. I am just recently finding the right balance between some of my favorite algo plugins and Nebula. When I first started with Nebula, I pretty much swore off all of my algo arsenal to relearn what Neb library would replace it. Great learning experience, but tough on the work-flow for me! But the real revelation for my work came when I started using Henry Olonga's growing selection, especially his "mojo" series. These are the tonal colorsof different hardware pieces without the "function" (no compression on a compressor preset, etc). These can be used by themselves, but even better, along with your favorite algo plug emu of similar hardware. Combine this with multitudes of specialized Nebula dll's made from Zabukowski's free "Nebula Setups" program, now my work-flow is just a tiny bit slower than my pre-Nebula days. And the audio quality is stunning. I still love some of the bigger nebula libraries (eq's, comps, pre's, tapes, tubes.....), these are staples in "my sound". So my shorter response to the OP is that in my experience and based on my 40+ year old ears (that spent most of my 25+ years in audio in the 100% analog world) is that if you can deal with the inherent and unavoidable characteristics of working with Nebula, they will stomp even the best "quality" vst's 9 out of 10 times, but you can always find that happy middle ground and retain MOST of your work-flow.
Old 1st March 2013
  #84
Here for the gear
 
trakslasha's Avatar
 

I recently bought Nebula and it has definitely improved my sound. yes it did hamper my usual workflow quite a bit and now I use Nebulaman to render the stems with the Nebula sound on it so when I start my mixes, the stems are already "nebulized".
Old 13th July 2013
  #85
Gear Maniac
 
zabukowski's Avatar
Nebula Setups 2 development version 1 (win, osx) is available

Please, visit Zabukowski Software | Software tools for Acustica's Nebula audio processor

Zabukowski
Old 13th July 2013
  #86
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabukowski View Post
Nebula Setups 2 development version 1 (win, osx) is available

Please, visit Zabukowski Software | Software tools for Acustica's Nebula audio processor
Nice! I notice the OSX download link is for NebulaMan. Is this the version that rolls the Nebula Setups features into NebulaMan? If so, very cool!
Old 13th July 2013
  #87
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

OSX 32 bit only?
Old 13th July 2013
  #88
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
OSX 32 bit only?
You're rolling with 64bit Nebula on a Mac?
Old 13th July 2013
  #89
Gear Maniac
 
zabukowski's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Nice! I notice the OSX download link is for NebulaMan. Is this the version that rolls the Nebula Setups features into NebulaMan? If so, very cool!
It's a typo :( Download link is correct, though. Will be fixed asap. OSX version is standalone as well.

Thx!

Zabukowski
Old 13th July 2013
  #90
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
You're rolling with 64bit Nebula on a Mac?
No. But it would be nice.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump