The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compilation of Toontrack Superior Drummer/EZ Drummer expansions being used in tracks
Old 6th August 2012
Here for the gear

Compilation of Toontrack Superior Drummer/EZ Drummer expansions being used in tracks

I thought I'd start a new thread with links to tracks I've recorded using several of the Toontrack Superior Drummer/EZ Drummer expansion libraries (SDX). I hope these will help to give an idea of what these samples are capable of sounding like in the context of different styles of music.

Music City SDX

David Garibaldi tune, "Escape from Oakland". Default kit except for snare (Evil Drums) and FX cymbal stack (Hit Factory)

Dave Weckl tune, "Access Denied". Default kit except for snare (Evil Drums) and FX cymbal stack (Hit Factory)

Using the default kit except for the snare. The snare is from the Evil Drums SDX and it is the Stewart Copeland drum.

Same setup, but the snare is the 6.5x14" Black Beauty from Evil Drums SDX

Default Music City kit with the Black Beauty snare from that library

Custom & Vintage SDX

Evil Drums SDX

Nashville EZX (at the request of the client)

I'll update this post with any new additions. If you have questions on my setup, mixing, etc. feel free to ask them here. I've been working with Toontrack products now for over 3 years and they are at the top of the class for drum samples, IMO. I absolutely love the sounds they've captured and the software/interface.
Old 6th August 2012
Gear Maniac

I really the Nashville EZX. In your opinion, is the Music City SDX worth buying, or am I doubling up.

As well, is the Metal SDX just the DFH EXZ with deeper sampling?

Thanks, and good stuff Chris
Old 6th August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I really the Nashville EZX. In your opinion, is the Music City SDX worth buying, or am I doubling up.

Thanks, and good stuff Chris
I actually don't own the Nashville EZX. I sent the artist the MIDI data and he chose to use the Nashville library for that track. I think he just owns EZ Drummer. But from a player's perspective, the hi-hats/cymbals alone on Music City are worth purchasing it. You get multi-zone crashes/rides and the responsiveness of the hi-hat just seems more natural and expressive than some of the other SDX libraries. I think other libraries have better snares, but that's the beauty of the X-drum capability

I don't own the Metal SDX, however, so I can't comment on that.
Old 6th September 2012
Here for the gear

Another Music City SDX tune. This is a cover of Jason Mraz's song "Butterfly". Check it out...

Old 6th September 2012
Surrounded By Music

Cool stuff! Very good playing, too
Old 6th October 2012
Gear interested

Hi, I have a question for you. I just bought Superior Drummer and pretty much have the same set up as you(TD-12, Pd120, Pd100, Cy-14's, CY-15 etc..) or at least it looks like that's what you are using. For some reason when I am using any snare in the Superior library I'm getting very inconsistent hits,very loud in the center and if I hit just shy of the center very quiet. The thing is when I load EZ drummer into Superior the hits are normal. Is that just the way those drums are or is there some setting I'm overlooking? I am using positional sensing if that makes a difference. Your playing and sounds are fantastic and are what I am looking to emulate. Any help is appreciated...
Old 6th October 2012
Here for the gear

Make sure you have the "e-Drum" MIDI note mapping preset selected in Superior. It's a drop-down selection on the Mapping page of the plugin. I'm not in front of my setup now so I can't tell you exactly what the menu is to access that, but you'll see it.

If that IS selected already, then you may just have to tweak your sensitivity settings for the pads in the Roland module. I definitely had to do some tweaking there when getting things setup. It played/responded great when just listening to the module sounds, but Superior wasn't sounding good. So I had to decrease/increase sensitivity on some pads.

Hope that helps ya!
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

Those evil drum snares just pop. I've thought for awhile now that the standard snares in the EZ/Superior libraries although authentic were either too mushy sounding, or too lacking in the bottom and lower mids. The evil drums seem to sit in the mix and sound very right. Thanks for doing this. Going to get the evil drum library now.
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Great work Chris! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post

As a Nashville EZX owner I wondered the same thing, but I ended up getting the Music City SDX in a bundle and I'm glad I did. I think they sound better (The Nashville kit pieces for the most part sounded a bit thin to me.) And you get more variety with MC. The grooves included in this library are good too. I was expecting more of the Harry Stinson grooves, which I like in the Nashvile EZX, but these were done by Richard Nettermalm and were a great addition.
Old 25th October 2012
Here for the gear

Updated original post w/ another Music City SDX track. This time a Dave Weckl band cover
Old 27th October 2012
Here for the gear

Added another just now: David Garibaldi track
Old 13th August 2013
Here for the gear

New Avatar track

Using the Slingerland snare, 14x24" kick, 16" hats & coated head toms. I'm using Waves CLA Drums on the snare and Toontrack EZ Mix on the kick & toms. And a Logic channel EQ on the stereo master.
Old 13th August 2013
Lives for gear

Exclamation

Awesome thread!

Would you mind sharing the mapping preset you used for the Roland Kit?

I just got a Roland TD15 KV and I just can't get the hihat to sound right when closed. Everything else sounds good.

I'm also using superior drummer 2.0

VH-11 (Hi-hat)
Old 13th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchamorro View Post
Awesome thread!

Would you mind sharing the mapping preset you used for the Roland Kit?

I just got a Roland TD15 KV and I just can't get the hihat to sound right when closed. Everything else sounds good.

I'm also using superior drummer 2.0

VH-11 (Hi-hat)
I'm just using the "e-Drums" MIDI note preset that comes built into Superior Drummer. Also, I switched to a CY-12/FD-7 combo for the hi-hat instead of the VH-11 that came with my kit because I wasn't ever satisfied with the open/close/variability response using that. Someone on vdrums.com forum suggested that years ago and I tried it. Haven't looked back.
Old 17th August 2013
Gear interested

Wow, first can I just say you're an awesome drummer! Great grooves and very tasteful playing. I really enjoyed the Rhett Frazier track, kinda like Sly and Family Stone meets modern rock.

I have superior drummer (no expansion packs yet...) and my band are looking to do an album using an Electronic Drumkit triggering Superior Drummer. It's nice to know that it can be done to a great standard and sound professional, given me a lot of inspiration for recording.

What expansion pack would you recommend for hard rock? (my band sounds somewhere between Audioslave and Aerosmith)
Old 18th August 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollmafia View Post
Wow, first can I just say you're an awesome drummer! Great grooves and very tasteful playing. I really enjoyed the Rhett Frazier track, kinda like Sly and Family Stone meets modern rock.

I have superior drummer (no expansion packs yet...) and my band are looking to do an album using an Electronic Drumkit triggering Superior Drummer. It's nice to know that it can be done to a great standard and sound professional, given me a lot of inspiration for recording.

What expansion pack would you recommend for hard rock? (my band sounds somewhere between Audioslave and Aerosmith)
Thanks for the kind words.

As far as SDX packs, I really like the Joe Barresi Evil Drums SDX. A big library of drums geared towards rock. You'll likely still want to multi-out the channels from S2.0 to your DAW & use more compression/EQ/gating/etc. Superior has some pretty good built-in effects but I prefer Waves plug-ins and even the Toontrack EZ Mix for certain things.

Best of luck w/ your project. PM me if I can help at all.
Old 18th August 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the reply, I will be checking out Evil Drums very soon! I have always wondered how much (if any) compression and EQ is added to the stock drum kit in Superior Drummer already, anyone know about this?
Old 18th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerdrums View Post
I'm just using the "e-Drums" MIDI note preset that comes built into Superior Drummer. Also, I switched to a CY-12/FD-7 combo for the hi-hat instead of the VH-11 that came with my kit because I wasn't ever satisfied with the open/close/variability response using that. Someone on vdrums.com forum suggested that years ago and I tried it. Haven't looked back.
Would that work with my TD-12 module? I have a full td12 kit but was so frustrated with the hats I almost ended up using real hats and a mic. Usually I have to go in and edit all the hi hats. Five minute song is like an hour of hi hat editing. Toon track forums are of little help.
Old 18th August 2013
Here for the gear

Yeah, you could just get a FD-7 pedal and use that with your VH-11. You'd of course unhook the "HHC" cable from your VH-11 & connect it to the FD-7. Then just leave the hi-hat clutch locked down on the stand so your VH-11 is stationary. I could've done that but wanted to sell my VH-11 as a whole piece for some decent $$.
Old 19th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, you could just get a FD-7 pedal and use that with your VH-11. You'd of course unhook the "HHC" cable from your VH-11 & connect it to the FD-7. Then just leave the hi-hat clutch locked down on the stand so your VH-11 is stationary. I could've done that but wanted to sell my VH-11 as a whole piece for some decent $$.
Cool thanks for the tip
Old 19th August 2013
Great videos and great tones/playing.
Old 27th September 2013
Gear interested

Quote:

I'll update this post with any new additions. If you have questions on my setup, mixing, etc. feel free to ask them here. I've been working with Toontrack products now for over 3 years and they are at the top of the class for drum samples, IMO. I absolutely love the sounds they've captured and the software/interface.
Can someone please say if Superior Drummer expansions can be used with Toontrack EZ drummer? I haven't checked them both out properly yet, but would like to use some of the expansions.

Thanks
Old 27th September 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky29 View Post
Can someone please say if Superior Drummer expansions can be used with Toontrack EZ drummer? I haven't checked them both out properly yet, but would like to use some of the expansions.

Thanks
You can't use Superior expansions within EZ Drummer, no. But you CAN use EZ Drummer packs within Superior.

Hope that helps
Old 17th March 2015
Here for the gear

EZDrummer 2 !

I haven't posted here in a while, but recently I picked up a copy of EZDrummer 2 and I'm really impressed. The sounds are sooooo much better than the original EZDrummer. The sounds and playability rival Superior Drummer 2, albeit with less flexibility in mixing.

For this video, I'm using the Modern library with the Original Kit preset. Then I changed a few kit pieces:

Kick: 16x22" Yamaha 9000
Snare: 6.5x14" Tama Artist Carbon Fiber, Semi-dampened
Rack tom 1: 9x12" Gretsch USA Custom
Rack tom 2: 9x13" Yamaha 9000
Floor tom: 16x16" Gretsch USA Custom

I ran the drum stereo mix through a drum bus preset from EZMix. That's all I did to the drum sound.

I know it's been out a while, but I'm just really impressed with EZDrummer 2.
Old 25th March 2015
Here for the gear

Joe Satriani cover with EZDrummer 2

I grew up listening to Joe Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" album thanks to my dad's wide musical taste. I found a drumless copy of this and had to do a drum cover to it. It was a bit tricky because there is no click...no count-in... just the drums removed.

I'm using EZDrummer 2 again on this one. Same Modern library, Original kit preset. The snare is the 5x14" Ludwig LM400 (undampened).

I'm also using a drum bus preset from EZMix on the stereo drum bus and then a mastering preset from EZMix on the final track mix.
Old 25th May 2015
Gear interested
Quote:
Make sure you have the "e-Drum" MIDI note mapping preset selected in Superior. It's a drop-down selection on the Mapping page of the plugin. I'm not in front of my setup now so I can't tell you exactly what the menu is to access that, but you'll see it.

If that IS selected already, then you may just have to tweak your sensitivity settings for the pads in the Roland module. I definitely had to do some tweaking there when getting things setup. It played/responded great when just listening to the module sounds, but Superior wasn't sounding good. So I had to decrease/increase sensitivity on some pads.

Hope that helps ya!
Hi bakerdrums, awesome playing! Can you share with us what's the exact sensitivity you set on each pads? Thks
Old 17th June 2015
Here for the gear

Dave Weckl playalong w/ EZDrummer 2

Using the Modern Library Yamaha 9000 series kit here with the Gretsch 14" Chrome over Brass snare.

The drum mix was run through a drum bus preset in EZMix.

The stereo output was run through a mild preset from iZotope Ozone 4.

Filmed w/ a GoPro Hero 3.
Old 17th June 2015
Didn't realize at 1st this thread began in 2012 I can't listen to the video's at the moment but appreciate the effort of this thread. I'll listen when I get the chance.

I used to play Joe Satriani's "Surfing With The Alien" song (I was the main guitar player) with my old band. I was amazed people would run up and actually dance to it! lol.

Anyway, if you're still around bakerdrums... can you tell me the differences in using Superior Drummers "e-Drums" MIDI note preset (mapping) vs the standard midi note mapping, in regards to using an electronic drum kit? Is it simply the midi note mapping that's only different, or does it offer something other...?
I use a 4 drum module setup and about 40 trigger zones worth of pads on an extended ekit. Basically about 4 Yamaha DTXpress type kits joined together. I find that by using multiple modules, the expected midi note mapping on the extra modules are used in an alternate way. I also use the trigger inputs & pads in an unexpected way...like plugging a cymbal pad into a Tom trigger input, or visa-versa, etc, etc. Only my 1st module is as you'd expect...snare pad in snare input etc, etc. I map all 4 modules to match drum VSTi's and save them in my modules as 'kits'. My kit is able to access all kit pieces, the drums, cymbals, along with all their variations in the largest of drum VSTi kits. I also split off my hi-hat controller pedal to two of my modules, and have two Hi-hat pads, one connected on two of those modules to access more sound variations.

All is extremely swell with my ekit, but I'm just not familiar with this so called "e-Drums" MIDI note preset in Superior, and how this benefits over using the regular mapping/preset..???
Old 17th June 2015
Here for the gear

Steve,

I'm pretty sure the e-drum preset for MIDI mapping only affects the MIDI note mapping. I couldn't tell you in what specific way it differs from the default MIDI note mapping. I just know they added it to help people using common e-drums setups (Roland, Yamaha) get setup and going a little easier. I don't know enough about MIDI to tell you any more I'm afraid.

I can tell you that my solution to get my TD-12 kit playing as naturally as possible w/ SD2/EZD2 is to change my sample size to 64 samples (admittedly very low, but I'm only capturing MIDI notes so it doesn't matter), use the e-drums MIDI mapping preset, and use a FD-7 foot controller as my hi-hat pedal instead of the full VH-11 hi-hat. I never could get the open/close variation & playability to my liking using the VH-11. The FD-7 in combo w/ a CY-12 cymbal pad is much, much better I've found.

Thanks for responding
Old 28th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Steve,

I'm pretty sure the e-drum preset for MIDI mapping only affects the MIDI note mapping. I couldn't tell you in what specific way it differs from the default MIDI note mapping. I just know they added it to help people using common e-drums setups (Roland, Yamaha) get setup and going a little easier. I don't know enough about MIDI to tell you any more I'm afraid.

I can tell you that my solution to get my TD-12 kit playing as naturally as possible w/ SD2/EZD2 is to change my sample size to 64 samples (admittedly very low, but I'm only capturing MIDI notes so it doesn't matter), use the e-drums MIDI mapping preset, and use a FD-7 foot controller as my hi-hat pedal instead of the full VH-11 hi-hat. I never could get the open/close variation & playability to my liking using the VH-11. The FD-7 in combo w/ a CY-12 cymbal pad is much, much better I've found.

Thanks for responding
I used to have a TD20 kit with the top of the line hi-hat and I couldn't get it to work right either in Superior Drummer. I sold the kit and brain, but now I am rethinking that with technology advancing, just maybe I can get the Roland 25kv kit to work. I am an advanced user, but always struggled to get the feel right on edrums. I am hoping that the new roland kits will work better than the older techology. It sure looks like you have the settings just right. Thanks for sharing your experience.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search