The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIGIDESIGN 192 pops cracks noise
Old 31st July 2012
Here for the gear

DIGIDESIGN 192 pops cracks noise

Hey guys!

I just bought 2 used Digidesign 192 interfaces with each 16 outputs modules for mixing on console.

Problem is, when I connect both of them (master->slave) the slave starts making cracks and pops. See video from link below.

If I switch master and slave, the same thing happens on the "new" slave. This is spikes only from the hardware, not from Pro Tools or any other software. It starts when PT engages the Interfaces. It keeps going with an interval of about 20sec in 44khz. In 48 it's less then 20 sec and in 96 much less.

Both of them running internal sync, and I can't find a software preference that makes it stop. This is REALLY annoying and ruins everything for me.

Someone who knows what is is or what I can do?

Thanks!

VIDEO LINK:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14098234/IMG_3232.MOV
Old 31st July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Hey guys!

I just bought 2 used Digidesign 192 interfaces with each 16 outputs modules for mixing on console.

Problem is, when I connect both of them (master->slave) the slave starts making cracks and pops. See video from link below.

If I switch master and slave, the same thing happens on the "new" slave. This is spikes only from the hardware, not from Pro Tools or any other software. It starts when PT engages the Interfaces. It keeps going with an interval of about 20sec in 44khz. In 48 it's less then 20 sec and in 96 much less.

Both of them running internal sync, and I can't find a software preference that makes it stop. This is REALLY annoying and ruins everything for me.

Someone who knows what is is or what I can do?

Thanks!

VIDEO LINK:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14098234/IMG_3232.MOV
Try changing the superclock cables - the bnc cables linking one to the other? Maybe one of them is faulty. If both interfaces are showing internal sync, there's a problem. One should be showing loop master and one should be showing loop sync.
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Sync issue.

If it's not the loop sync cable it may be a startup routine issue. Turn on the sync i/o first, wait for it to go green, and then turn on one 192. Wait until the sample rate and sync mode lights start flashing. Then turn on the other 192. After the lights stop flashing (14 times I think) turn on your computer.

I have 10 192 I/o's. So it's not uncommon for us to see this if we rush through startup.

But it also can occur with bad/incoherent clocking.
Old 31st July 2012
Gear Guru

I didn't see it mentioned, but the 192's operate in LOOP sync. In other words, to hook up 2 192's you need TWO clock cables. Out master interface, into Slave interface. THEN, out slave interface, and back into the master interface.

You did not mention that you did this. Only that you went out one into the other. It's critical that you complete the "loop". I'd be willing to be you either haven't done this, or that you have a bad cable. Also in the hardware setup window, make sure you have the #1 interface setup as the master and on "internal"

BTW, Greg has way more 192's than me so I'd defer to his experience here, but I've never had any problems powering up all my 192's at once. Good luck.

bp
Old 31st July 2012
Here for the gear

Thanks! Will try it.

Had a friend telling me the D/A:s could be bad, but then the exact same thing wouldn't happen on both of them. I start up the comp first then both of them at the same time, maybe it's the startup routine as you said... Sounds much possible.

Didn't know they were sensitive like that.

One more thing. I have an accel card. Should I run the slave from the accel or both of them from the main PCI?
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
BTW, Greg has way more 192's than me so I'd defer to his experience here, but I've never had any problems powering up all my 192's at once. Good luck.

bp
Oddly enough, if I don't wait for the flash and just power up all at once it will 9/10 times give me grief and then I get to do it all again. It may have something to do with the Magma PCIe expansion chassis...

GC
Old 31st July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
Oddly enough, if I don't wait for the flash and just power up all at once it will 9/10 times give me grief and then I get to do it all again. It may have something to do with the Magma PCIe expansion chassis...

GC
Greg, I think it may be something else. I'm running a magma chassis as well. The Magma with all cards, and all the interfaces including sync i/o are all on a large power conditioner, and I flip that on and boot the computer without another thought. Never have any of the issues you spoke about, but I don't have that many interfaces either. For what it's worth.....

Goldfinger - you can run both interfaces off one card, or go to your first accel card. SHOULDN'T matter. Of course, we've all learned that sometimes things that "don't matter" in fact really DO matter.

Again, you didn't mention if you had the loop around hooked up. Do you?
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Will try it.

Had a friend telling me the D/A:s could be bad, but then the exact same thing wouldn't happen on both of them. I start up the comp first then both of them at the same time, maybe it's the startup routine as you said... Sounds much possible.

Didn't know they were sensitive like that.

One more thing. I have an accel card. Should I run the slave from the accel or both of them from the main PCI?
FYI, I've had this (digital spitting in random output channels on one of my 192s) happen 1 once in the past 2.5 years, even after restarting a couple of times. It has never happened again after reseating the cables.

I'm probably making this thread worse with more useless and distracting information, but I think it should be known that it can happen very rarely with a good, solid setup.

But I think you have a basic connection issue. Swap connections, trouble shoot, and you may finally have the wonderful "AHA!" moment. If it continues you may indeed have a flakey or improperly installed DA card. But try every permutation of valid connections that you can before sending the unit back.

Also, try each unit by itself. Any issues?

GC
Old 31st July 2012
Here for the gear

Hey. Thanks for many great replies.

This is my setup:

PCI main card -> 192#1 primary port
192#1 expansion port -> 192#2 primary port.

The end.

All 32 outputs work, but glitches on almost all of the 16 slave ones.

Software setup:
192#1 - internal clock
192#2 - internal clock

On master interface the loop-button is green.
The slave-loop-button is black, as you see in my posted video I think.
Old 31st July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post
FYI, I've had this (digital spitting in random output channels on one of my 192s) happen 1 once in the past 2.5 years, even after restarting a couple of times. It has never happened again after reseating the cables.

I'm probably making this thread worse with more useless and distracting information, but I think it should be known that it can happen very rarely with a good, solid setup.

But I think you have a basic connection issue. Swap connections, trouble shoot, and you may finally have the wonderful "AHA!" moment. If it continues you may indeed have a flakey or improperly installed DA card. But try every permutation of valid connections that you can before sending the unit back.

Also, try each unit by itself. Any issues?

GC
Both of them run perfect by them selfs. Glitches occur with both hooked and the cable between them is brand new! :-(
Old 31st July 2012
It's cause the 192 is evil.
It will make you unhappy. There's circuitry inside that is DESIGNED to make you unhappy.

I'm just kidding, there's little gremlins who take hammers and pick axes to the signal.. weird shit, unexplainable..

but likely a wordclock issue. Get a big ben, totally worth it. I swear. Never heard one.
Old 31st July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

Again, you didn't mention if you had the loop around hooked up. Do you?
.... Is it really that simple? If so, stupid guy from store said I only needed one...
Old 31st July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Both of them run perfect by them selfs. Glitches occur with both hooked and the cable between them is brand new! :-(
Again - you intimate that there is ONE cable hooked up between them. What you describe is classic "missing a cable" syndrome. You need TWO word clock cables to hook the two together as I described earlier - hence the very reason the word LOOP is involved here. Are you using TWO word clock cables? If not, that is your problem.

You mention "buttons" - I presume you mean LED's. On the master unit, the LOOP MASTER LED should be lit up, and ONLY INT on the sync mode options LED array. On the slave, the LOOP MASTER LED should be dark. On the sync LED array "LOOP" should be lit up.

Get another word clock cable and hook it up.
Old 31st July 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
.... Is it really that simple? If so, stupid guy from store said I only needed one...
Yes it really is, and the guy is indeed stupid. Or at the very least, ignorant of the gear he is selling.
Old 31st July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
keep us posted.
Old 31st July 2012
Here for the gear

Lol.....

I'm brand new to these guys AND Pro Tools after setting up this mixing setup, so the troubleshooting was pretty hard....

I'm gonna call the f**ker and tell him to give me another cable for free

I'm sure this is all that will need to be done, and thanks again for many great replies. I'll let you know if it all worked out.

G
Old 1st August 2012
Quote:
Lol.....

I'm brand new to these guys AND Pro Tools after setting up this mixing setup, so the troubleshooting was pretty hard....

I'm gonna call the f**ker and tell him to give me another cable for free

I'm sure this is all that will need to be done, and thanks again for many great replies. I'll let you know if it all worked out.

G
Yup, it's that simple....

With any singular digital system, you can only have one master device on internal sync - everything else has to be a slave. The giveaway had to be that both devices were on internal sync.

The 192 manual would have told you this, and that it had to be a closed loop/2 BNC cables FWIW...this WILL fix your issue!
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

What DrBill has said. You shouldn't have them both sync'd internally. One needs to be a master, and the other a slave. Hook them up right, set them up as a master / slave, and I am sure you'll be good from there
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

wait, is this why they call him drBill?
Old 2nd August 2012
Here for the gear

This obviously turned out to be the solution. The BNC cables did it, and I'm glad it was such an easy problem, and that you guys helped me out!

Thread closed, let's mix something!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear