The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Duet Still Function with Mountain Lion? Audio Interfaces
Old 25th July 2012
Here for the gear

Does Duet Still Function with Mountain Lion?

Anyone tried the old Duet with Mountain Lion yet? Apogee has dropped support for the original (nice) so not sure if Maestro or the Duet is going to work.
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gene View Post
Anyone tried the old Duet with Mountain Lion yet? Apogee has dropped support for the original (nice) so not sure if Maestro or the Duet is going to work.
For real? Man, I'm done with Apogee. The Duet is still good, its a rock solid good piece of hardware, why would Apogee stop supporting it? All we need is working drivers (which barely work in Lion). Is it so hard to get working drivers? I'm definitely not buying a duet 2, with Apogee's ****ty support. I bought the Duet in 2009. Is it too much to ask that a product still get support 4 years later? I mean if it were a cheap piece of crap (like a Fastrack Pro, or a Firebox, which is still supported by the way because its class compliant) then whatever. The interface is a solid piece of hardware that is built like like a tank. I'm supposed to just chuck it to get the new shiny. **** no. I'll stick with a company who gives a ****. Metric Halo, or RME, anyone but Apogee.
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gene View Post
I have no experience with trying it out on the OS yet, but (you scared me there):

Software:

Duet FireWire Software Installer - July 2012
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion compatible
Intended for first time Duet FireWire installations on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion
If Duet FireWire, August 2011 software was pre-installed before updating to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, it is not necessary to install this release

Apogee Electronics > Downloads
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Maniac

We did not drop support for Duet.
Also keep in mind, you only need the new version of the Duet installer if you have a fresh install of Mountain Lion. As it states in our release notes, the same one that Dr. Jezz posted from our website... Thank you Dr. Jezz

"Intended for first time Duet FireWire installations on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion
If Duet FireWire, August 2011 software was pre-installed before updating to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, it is not necessary to install this release".

So if you already have Duet installed on your computer (august 2011 release) and you update to 10.8, you don't have to do anything at all.

Duet by the way is class compliant. In fact was one of the first interfaces to be class compliant. If you plug it in, it will pass audio with out installing a thing.
The Duet installer is simply for Maestro, low latency mixer, and being able to switch inputs digitally etc... things that are not in the core audio spec.
Which is not even an issue, since 10.8 is available today, and so is the Duet installer.

So no Apocalypse... no need to "chuck" your Duet.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson View Post
Also keep in mind, you only need the new version of the Duet installer if you have a fresh install of Mountain Lion. As it states in our release notes, the same one that Dr. Jezz posted from our website... Thank you Dr. Jezz

"Intended for first time Duet FireWire installations on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion
If Duet FireWire, August 2011 software was pre-installed before updating to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, it is not necessary to install this release".

So if you already have Duet installed on your computer (august 2011 release) and you update to 10.8, you don't have to do anything at all.

Duet by the way is class compliant. In fact was one of the first interfaces to be class compliant. If you plug it in, it will pass audio with out installing a thing.
The Duet installer is simply for Maestro, low latency mixer, and being able to switch inputs digitally etc... things that are not in the core audio spec.
Which is not even an issue, since 10.8 is available today, and so is the Duet installer.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Hey man, you could have been more smiley about it - have you done anything about how the duet has ultra high f hiss at certain sampling frequencies depending on the impedance ? Apogee Duet-Quiet or noisy unit? Same problems?

(Edit) ... and a load more posts ... I use it, but it annoys me after how much I spent on this one to have the hiss in my monitors ... when other cheaper stuff I use doesn't do the same - which is why I've continually recommended anyone attending Liverpool's LIPA to use it for the input, but be warned that the output may suck BHBs?
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Edit: There are still nagging problems....r
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Yeah, well when the Duet stops dropping audio when I use a 256 latency buffer in any audio application, then I'll THINK about not chucking it. As it stands your support and drivers still suck.
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
Yeah, well when the Duet stops dropping audio when I use a 256 latency buffer in any audio application, then I'll THINK about not chucking it. As it stands your support and drivers still suck.
I use my Duet at 256/128/64 all the time in Live. For playback it is fine.
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear

I love my Duet 1!
Old 27th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I guess you got different drivers to me then. My FW Duet has always worked fine (Including in an admittedly brief test in 10.8).
No noise, no drop outs. And thats generally at a 128 buffer on a 5 year old iMac.
Old 27th July 2012
Gear Head

My Duet 1 is working OK so far in Mountain Lion!
Old 5th August 2012
Gear Nut

my Duet 1 works on 10.8 - a bit... It plays sound. It worked perfectly on 10.7 but now I can't control the duet's volume with my MBP keyboard and maestro can't recognize it at all so no settings for recording can be done. I've already re-installed it all one time, I guess I just have to keep trying and do it again...?
Old 5th August 2012
Here for the gear

Duet works fine upon Mountain Lion upgrade EXCEPT I don't see the feature that allows to save settings anymore.
Old 1st September 2012
Here for the gear

I can't save input/output settings anymore using DFW on new Mac pro with fresh 10.7 installed using the new updated drivers for Maestro.
I can't believe Appogee could even THINK about offering this set up to professional musicians n producers without the facility to save different settings. Do they think we just record one musician playing the same instrument all the time?
Great sound card with totally unprofessional useless software.
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

The Duet 1 is a class compliant device so it will playback without any problems. However, try recording with it. I need to call Apogee.
Old 2nd September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
The Duet 1 is a class compliant device so it will playback without any problems. However, try recording with it. I need to call Apogee.
+1
Old 7th October 2012
Here for the gear

Great to know that Duet Firewire and Mountain Lion are compatible, however my update has not worked. I am getting clipping during playback in Logic and any other audio when Logic is open.

And I keep getting this error message:

Error whilst trying to sync Audio and Midi
Sample Rate 41390 recognized.
Check conflict between Logic Pro and external device.

(The number changes every time.)

Logic V 9.1.7, 4GB Ram on 3.06Ghz IMac

I have tried changing the buffer size and has made no difference. I have re-installed the updated Maestro several times. Does anyone have any other suggestions I really don't want to have to re-install Snow Leopard (although is very tempting now my computer is resembling an iPad).
Old 24th October 2012
Here for the gear
Duet?

Hi Peeps,..

After having contact with the Apogee Live Chat, I still haven't found a way to get my Duet work perfectly under Mountain Lion.. (Snow Leopard works fine)..

I get playback audio drop-outs en recording isn't possible without a crackling sound.. Damn, paid 450€ for a bad supported interface.. Makes me wanna go check RME out..

Looks like the Apogee people are forcing clients to buy a duet2.. No way..

Hm, should I stay with Snow Leopard?? Ok, but for how long??
If I buy a new mac, I'm getting Mountain Lion.. Now THAT's a fact..
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEETR View Post
I get playback audio drop-outs en recording isn't possible without a crackling sound.. Damn, paid 450€ for a bad supported interface.. Makes me wanna go check RME out..
+1
(if Apogee just could figure out how much this hurts their business)
Old 27th November 2012
Here for the gear

My Duet I Mountain Lion story:

after I got a new MacBook Pro, I installed:
Duet FireWire Software Installer - July 2012

The Duet worked as a sound card, but Maestro 2 did not recognize it.
I tried to un-install and re-install, but Maestro 2 said there is no Apogee device.

I tried to contact Apogee, still waiting for an answer...

What did help?

I installed the Duet 2 Drivers.... an now Maestro 2 could find it.
Everything works perfect!

I don´t know why, but sometimes the odd way is the right way...

I hope this will help someone!

Chri$
Old 30th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IglerMD View Post
I hope this will help someone!
Well, it worked for me too! Now Maestro discovers my Duet 1 and I can use it for recording as well as listening.

Thanks a lot Chris!
Old 1st December 2012
Here for the gear

Great, you´re welcome!
Have fun with your Duet I!
Old 1st December 2012
Gear Nut

I picked up a Duet 1 a few years back, it was always rock solid. Based on that I bought an Ensemble. It was horrible, never worked right, at time all the lights would come on and horrible noises would emit from my monitors. I swapped out laptops, no luck. Apogee sent me a new Ensemble. Same problem. At which point they insisted that I must being something wrong, even though I was using a clean install of OS X on my laptop and am a software developer with device driver experience--I know a bad device driver when I fight one for a few weeks.

I sold the Ensemble, kept the Duet. Duet never had a hiccup through all of this. And did not until the move to Maestro 2, which IIRC was around Lion. I could spend an hour listing the problems, but the highlights are extreme unreliability if my laptop goes to sleep or if the Duet is disconnected and reconnected--it *always* requires a reboot of my laptop. Every once in a while it will seem like it is going to work without the reboot but I start tracking something and start getting dropouts or phantom power stops working (phantom power has not been right since Maestro 2).

Last time I tried it hooked up to an old, pre-Lion laptop it seemed to work perfectly, but even so I would not feel right selling the unit to someone else, so as far as I am concerned this Duet is just garbage now. And I would definitely not buy another Apogee product that requires device drivers. Maybe something standalone--the MiniMe seems to have stood the test of time--but nothing that requires device drivers.

I have purchased an RME Babyface to replace my Duet 1 and the drivers are astonishingly good, as is RME's reputation for driver stability and continuing to support products over time. To me it seems like Apogee's lower-end gear is marketed at consumers and intended to be disposable, while all of RME's gear is intended for lasting professional use.
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I have the original duet and when it works, t works well. But, 60 percent of the time it has a wierd high metalic noise. Then I have to disconnect and it screws everything up. I end up having to reboot. If it does start right, if I sleep the computer, it will reboot with the same error. I dont think I will buy another apogee product. It's just not worth the hassle. After all these years this bug is still not fixed.
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear Nut

I've never had any problems w/ my Duet, its a beaut! ...but then again, I stayed w/ Snow Leopard for a good reason. Everything just works.

Ya, eventually I'll have to upgrade everything but I've learned my lesson going back to the ol' OS8 and OS9 days. Upgrading is not always a good thing, if it ain't broken...don't fix it.
Old 9th December 2012
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowingDevil View Post
..Upgrading is not always a good thing, if it ain't broken...don't fix it.
If they don't fix this soon, I'll break it..

Hmm.. installing the Duet2 drivers?

Ok, I'll give it a shot ..

Thnx!
Old 9th December 2012
Here for the gear
Great!

Quote:

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Great! Thnx for your interesting knowledge, but why is my Duet Firewire not working properly on my system?

My setup: Mac Pro 2.8Ghz, 8core, 6gbram, Ableton 8.3.4, OSX 10.8.2, Firewire Duet 1 with latest driver..

Note: Logic has the same problem with the Duet. ITB works fine, . . . recording is a pain in the *ss Why isn't there more support for FW Duet users?

I'm NOT buying this crap again (excuse my language use).

Note2: My mbp 2010 has the same (even worse) problem with the Duet1

Now what's next? Thnx Chris
Old 9th December 2012
Edit: I should have read the whole thread first before posting
Old 9th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzworks View Post
I picked up a Duet 1 a few years back, it was always rock solid. Based on that I bought an Ensemble. It was horrible, never worked right, at time all the lights would come on and horrible noises would emit from my monitors. I swapped out laptops, no luck. Apogee sent me a new Ensemble. Same problem. At which point they insisted that I must being something wrong, even though I was using a clean install of OS X on my laptop and am a software developer with device driver experience--I know a bad device driver when I fight one for a few weeks.

I sold the Ensemble, kept the Duet. Duet never had a hiccup through all of this. And did not until the move to Maestro 2, which IIRC was around Lion. I could spend an hour listing the problems, but the highlights are extreme unreliability if my laptop goes to sleep or if the Duet is disconnected and reconnected--it *always* requires a reboot of my laptop. Every once in a while it will seem like it is going to work without the reboot but I start tracking something and start getting dropouts or phantom power stops working (phantom power has not been right since Maestro 2).

Last time I tried it hooked up to an old, pre-Lion laptop it seemed to work perfectly, but even so I would not feel right selling the unit to someone else, so as far as I am concerned this Duet is just garbage now. And I would definitely not buy another Apogee product that requires device drivers. Maybe something standalone--the MiniMe seems to have stood the test of time--but nothing that requires device drivers.

I have purchased an RME Babyface to replace my Duet 1 and the drivers are astonishingly good, as is RME's reputation for driver stability and continuing to support products over time. To me it seems like Apogee's lower-end gear is marketed at consumers and intended to be disposable, while all of RME's gear is intended for lasting professional use.
This was my exact situation and experience (minus getting the Ensemble). Once I went to Lion everything stopped working properly, still worked great on my wife's comp with Snow Leopard. Was on the phone countless times with Apogee and I got a different answer to the same problem every time. It's a shame they won't even acknowledge how spotty the drivers became with Lion, and how Maestro 2 basically became unusable. Brand new Apogee Duet 1's were still on music store shelves just over a year ago, it's a shame it's already become a "Legacy" product.

I too switched to the RME Babyface and haven't looked back. Rock solid performance with Mountain Lion, and I like the preamps even better than the Duet's. No more Apogee products for me.
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear

Ever since I updated to Mountain Lion my Duet sucks. I get clips and silences. I always need to change the card from 44 to 96. Apogee sucks and I won't buy from them again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search