Best iPad DAW
Old 20th July 2012
Gear interested

Best iPad DAW

I recently purchased the GarageBand app for iPad and was pretty underwhelmed with it. It seemed quite limited in editing options and didn't really have many useful sound manipulation tools; delay, compression, etc

There are a lot of other options out there as far as daw apps go. What have you used that has impressed you?
Old 20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Old 20th July 2012
Gear maniac

GarageBand is 1/10th the price by the way LOL.. Over here it's GarageBand for soft synths, beatmaker 2 for samples (and feeding midi to hardware synths ) and auria at mixdown. The trio of power!
Old 20th July 2012
Gear nut

Auria looks pretty amazing in the demo videos. How much do the extra plugins cost?

If it works with some great interfaces (Duet 2 doesn't work), this could be a great way to record.
Old 20th July 2012
Gear maniac

The most expensive one is the fancy EQ at 29.00, but most are 9.99.
They also sell a bunch of IR for the convolution reverb at 5.99 each.
Very very cool
Old 20th July 2012
Gear interested

Ok, that looks very cool. It's funny how $50 seems expensive all of a sudden
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

I have project studio in my house and I can tell you that $50 for Auria is absolutely nothing when you consider the cost of other studio equipment and software. For instance Nuendo 5.5 runs well over $2,000. It's amazing what Auria can do for the money, I'm afraid that it now makes Garageband seem like a toy and Apple needs to revamp it completely. GB is great for putting down song ideas quickly though.
Old 24th July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey222 View Post
I have project studio in my house and I can tell you that $50 for Auria is absolutely nothing when you consider the cost of other studio equipment and software. For instance Nuendo 5.5 runs well over $2,000. It's amazing what Auria can do for the money, I'm afraid that it now makes Garageband seem like a toy and Apple needs to revamp it completely. GB is great for putting down song ideas quickly though.
Same here... I don't get how folks think its expensive! Granted the $49.99 is an introductory price, but like you say it's absolutely amazing at double the price even!
Old 25th February 2014
Gear addict

How about interfaces?
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

Has anyone priced out Auria and all in app AUDIO plug in purchases?

I know Fab Filter has most of their stuff available...how do they compare with the VST versions? I ask because Saturn was one of the largest CPU hogs I've used....on my C2Q--far more dsp than an iPad...do they disable the overampling? Or allow you to eat the whole iPad CpU with it and just freeze it? Or be super nifty and use "non Hq" for live and switch to upsampling for any freeze action? That not a bad idea. Glad I had it.

Anyway--they don't have a demo...right? They should make like a free 8trk version or something--something where you can get in and play with the interface...see what's available as in app purchases...demo the plug quality, etc. I've been meaning to get a Camera Kit to start to play with it...but, be nicer to simply import some tracks into whatever limited version to play...see what the real cost would be.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear maniac
I've been trying to work out how it might be possible to bounce out audio from Maschine into Auria seeing as there's no USB port... Feel like I'm missing something really obvious but can't quite work it out... (?)
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

A small warning for those looking to buy Auria - it is presently unusable on Ipad 3. It is incredibly laggy and crashes often. This is when simply recording or playing back one or two audio tracks with no effects engaged.

I wasted $50 on that DAW due to the rave reviews, don't make the same mistake if you're on Ipad 3.

I would also note that the workflow is horrible ( something which is not really mentioned in the reviews for some reason). There is a lot of unnecessary finger tapping required when tracking compared to Cubasis.

Cubasis is a better DAW on all fronts, except with regards to built-in effects ( which are unusable on Auria in any event, making that a moot point).

Hopefully this will get fixed with an update at some point.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManProducer View Post
I've been trying to work out how it might be possible to bounce out audio from Maschine into Auria seeing as there's no USB port... Feel like I'm missing something really obvious but can't quite work it out... (?)
You need to bounce your audio to wav's in Maschine and then place them in drop box ( install the drop box app on your Ipad). You can then import the tracks in Auria.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

What's the deal with the iPad3? Is it specific to the 3? It was introduced for the 2....which is still for sale new from Apple in several forms--the 3 WAS just a very brief thing in tech....they moved to selling the 2&4...and now the Air&2.

The import/export issues with ithings means I won't use it as a full time DAW...they'll need to fix that else Surface will own them. I'm not uploading 96khz WAVs to Dropbox to get them in/out...but, that'll be fixed by someone.

It's not mature tech...but, if Auria has a head start on multitouch--they can port to Surface/Win8 very easily...and potentially own that. Sonar's multitouch it ********. They won't EVER move fast enough. That's the issue with the mature mouse/key apps--they will need to alienate a lot of people to move fast enough to keep up with something built for multitouch from the ground up. How many Sonar users would be pissed if the next version was redesigned for multitouch ONLY? That's what has to happen. Cubase and them are incrementing it...Cubase's new inappropriately huge colorful carton looking mixer? Is their first steps....and why I'm not moving from v6 until they're done and this is mature.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
What's the deal with the iPad3? Is it specific to the 3? It was introduced for the 2....which is still for sale new from Apple in several forms--the 3 WAS just a very brief thing in tech....they moved to selling the 2&4...and now the Air&2.
I noted that I was on was Ipad 3, since the subsequent models are more powerful and Auria may not have the same performance issues there.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post

The import/export issues with ithings means I won't use it as a full time DAW...they'll need to fix that else Surface will own them.

It's not mature tech...but, if Auria has a head start on multitouch--they can port to Surface/Win8 very easily...and potentially own that. Sonar's multitouch it ********. T
1) file management is an irritating part of the Ipad.

2) Auria has major problems, they aren't ahead of the curve on anything. It is riddled with bugs, it has terrible UI choices and it doesn't run well. The included effects and third party effects are great, but the actual DAW is not. They have major issues to sort out on ios before they take on any other platform.
Old 15th February 2015
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike e.t. View Post
Ok, that looks very cool. It's funny how $50 seems expensive all of a sudden
I know! It's strange what iPad and Apple do to the human brain. I was at a store just yesterday sweating between a $599 or $799 synthesizer and here I am today on the internet and appstore sweating between a $5 and $10 app. It makes no sense at all!!
Old 17th February 2015
Gear maniac

Auria has a new "Pro" version with some impressive new features including Fabfilter Twin 2 and a sampler built in. The graphics are now vector so redraw time is no longer a problem.

Auria for iPad Blog ยป Auria for iPad Blog
Old 18th February 2015
Gear nut

I've got to recommend Cubasis. It's a full blown DAW. Haven't tried Auria. After watching the video at their site I'm not sure how deep Auria goes into midi piano roll programming. Cubasis does a really good job at this and comes with some "ok" synths for song creation.

Last edited by bandso; 18th February 2015 at 04:04 AM..
Old 18th February 2015
Gear maniac
I use a tape machine at home because I like the direct simplicity, so on my last overseas trip, I needed an easy portable recording solution. I ended up buying a JAM 96k interface (intended for guitar, but works fine with the Volca Bass synth i bought at the same time). I tried a few different iPad DAWs, and got angry, specifically at the n-track. It says it does 24/96, but it DOES NOT, and their support does not respond. I settled on the MultitrackDAW. Worked PERFECTLY. Ten dollars, simple interface (minimal, actually), great sound quality, and no major issues.

It's not loaded up with effects and features, but if you want something that let's you just hit record and play your music without menu diving, with good quality and no hiccups, it's great. And it isn't $50 for a damn phone app.
Old 18th February 2015
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandso View Post
I've got to recommend Cubasis. It's a full blown DAW. Haven't tried Auria. After watching the video at their site I'm not sure how deep Auria goes into midi piano roll programming. Cubasis does a really good job at this and comes with some "ok" synths for song creation.
Thats the impression I am also getting. The contenders seem to be Cubasis, Nanostudio, beatmaker2, and auria. My issue is, I just really don't like Cubase. Never have. Thats whats stopping me from getting it. Does anyone think Apple might release an iPad version of Logic X?
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
Thats the impression I am also getting. The contenders seem to be Cubasis, Nanostudio, beatmaker2, and auria. My issue is, I just really don't like Cubase. Never have. Thats whats stopping me from getting it. Does anyone think Apple might release an iPad version of Logic X?
Cubasis is the best ipad daw - I also own nanostudio ( which is great, but not really a daw) and Auria.

Auria was a huge let down and a waste of 50$ - it can barely run on Ipad 3 and the workflow is terrible.
Old 18th February 2015
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Cubasis is the best ipad daw - I also own nanostudio ( which is great, but not really a daw) and Auria.

Auria was a huge let down and a waste of 50$ - it can barely run on Ipad 3 and the workflow is terrible.
Just curious, are you able to do full multi-track on the iPad or using the iPad for sketching ideas?

I haven't used either Cubasis or Auria. I can see they dropped the price of Auria (i guess in anticipation for the new version coming out).. they claim...

Code:
"REQUIREMENTS:
iPad 2 or later recommended
Compatible with all iPad models (iPad 1 has only 24 tracks, 44.1KHz and 48 KHz)
iOS 5.0 or later
USB audio interfaces require Camera Connection Kit"
Old 18th February 2015
Gear interested
I use Cubasis for multitrack recording. Recording some drums through presonus adat interface which is connected to ipad through this cheap box ... No hiccups or anything like that, i can also open the same project directly in cubase after recording. Cubasis has this simple homenetwork thing, so you can access all the data easily from any machine on your network. Also i think its surprisingly smooth experience to make some beats or edit stuff in the piano roll with it too.

Just beware you might need powered usb-hub to get enough power for the interface and the camera kit of course.
Old 18th February 2015
Gear maniac

Quote:
Just curious, are you able to do full multi-track on the iPad or using the iPad for sketching ideas?
I'm doing full multi-track on my iPadAir- http://youtu.be/f7dqJdm2g5Q & http://youtu.be/iTFoqFWPis4 being my most recent.
One thing- I work out arrangements in Beatmaker2, then mix in Auria. When I initially drop the tracks in Auria, they immediately sound better. Does this have to to with the mix buss in Auria being so much better?
Old 18th February 2015
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom@s View Post
I'm doing full multi-track on my iPadAir- http://youtu.be/f7dqJdm2g5Q & http://youtu.be/iTFoqFWPis4 being my most recent.
One thing- I work out arrangements in Beatmaker2, then mix in Auria. When I initially drop the tracks in Auria, they immediately sound better. Does this have to to with the mix buss in Auria being so much better?
thanks not shabby!! are you mastering this on iPad?
Old 18th February 2015
Gear maniac

Quote:
thanks not shaddy!! are you mastering this on iPad?
Thanks. Nothing has been properly mastered; just some comp & a touch of EQ on the master.
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

I haven't used either Cubasis or Auria. I can see they dropped the price of Auria (i guess in anticipation for the new version coming out).. they claim...

Code:
"REQUIREMENTS:
iPad 2 or later recommended
Compatible with all iPad models (iPad 1 has only 24 tracks, 44.1KHz and 48 KHz)
iOS 5.0 or later
USB audio interfaces require Camera Connection Kit"
On Ipad 3, you can't really track a full project of 24 bit audio on either program. Those minimum requirements are not realistic with 24 bit audio, maybe 16 bit audio. I could barely record one 24 bit audio track on Auria without getting clicks and pops using the Apogee One or when simply using the Ipad. On Cubasis I got better results, but don't expect to be working out a full song of 24 bit audio if you're on Ipad 3 or lower.

I found working on the Ipad to be a huge hassle - I've given up on it and sold my Apogee One. Working on a PC in Reaper is 1000 times better.
Old 18th February 2015
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
On Ipad 3, you can't really track a full project of 24 bit audio on either program. Those minimum requirements are not realistic with 24 bit audio, maybe 16 bit audio. I could barely record one 24 bit audio track on Auria without getting clicks and pops using the Apogee One or when simply using the Ipad. On Cubasis I got better results, but don't expect to be working out a full song of 24 bit audio if you're on Ipad 3 or lower.

I found working on the Ipad to be a huge hassle - I've given up on it and sold my Apogee One. Working on a PC in Reaper is 1000 times better.
Thanks for this.. I still have to decide what to commit to. I am siding with Auria mainly because I like the idea of helping the smaller company stay in business and I don't think Steinberg need any more money -- competition is good for the marketplace.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search