The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why does windows loose drivers when disconnected?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Why does windows loose drivers when disconnected?

Hello to all,

I have recently switch my Nuendo rig from a mac to a new dedicated audio only HP DuoCore laptop. This thing completely rocks! I just recorded 130 tracks (5 passes of 26 tracks simultaniously while all tracks were playing back) as if overdubing, using my RME Digiface and external Firewire drive. All tracks were 24/44.1 and the thing was barely being pushed. I could have recorded far more. The CPU meter was reading at less than 15% and the disk was spiking occationally to 45% (the disk was pretty fragmented). Needless to say I am really psyched with the performance!

What I want to know is why everytime I boot up the computer without every single device connected and then reboot the computer it tells me that the computer has found a new device. Then I have to reinstall the drivers for each of the devices. Nuendo dongle, Wavelab dongle, and PCMCIA Card. This is rediculous and half assed as well. I cant possibly be expected to carry my software around to every gig so that I can reinstall drivers before every gig. Can I keep this from happening without always having to have everything connected? Man I hope so because if not, this will surely drive me insane. By the way, I am running XP Home addition.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Cameron
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

how about setting up a dual boot, one for the home game and one for the away.

g
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Head

I had this problem, to till I found out, I plugged the usb devices (dongels etc.) in a different port I had installed it to. When I use the identical ports everthing works out fine.

However, now I'm running a dualboot system.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Head

Hi Cameron.
You don't need to configure a dual-boot setup, per se.
In windows, you can define hardware profiles, which you can then choose between on startup. I used to use this feature in the past, and it worked just fine.

You can find it if you do the following:
1. Right-click my computer
2. Select hardware tab
3. Click hardware profiles button

I am pretty sure this is an option in XP Home as well, though not 100% certain.
Hope this helps.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

actually it happens on both my mac an pc if i turn them on with anything usb disconnected on boot. and what robi said is also true though more so with the pc than the mac.

g
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

G,

I don't know what mac you were using, but I have owned several (I think 5) over the years, used it with the exact same hardware and several others and have never ever had it happen. I have also never heard of it happening to any other mac buddies. I believe something else may have happened to your computer.

Cameron
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Addict

the mac and the pc share the usb hub to which the MixedLogic M24, M-Audio 4x4 midi and the Keyborards can be accessed by both rigs at the same time. so this may be the reason but it does happen if something gets moved or switched.

g

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search