The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The new Intel Mac ??
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

The new Intel Mac ??

I am thinking of getting a new computer. I am using PT 7 LE with my Powerbook G4, 1g of RAM I was looking at the new I Mac but they only come with the Intel processor . any one using one ? Any thoughts on this making Mac more vulnerable to virsus ?

Thanks Kev
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Intel-based Macs will not be more vulnerable to viruses. The thing that makes PCs so vulnerable to viruses is not its processor but its operating system, Windows. Also PCs dominate the world and therefore hackers and miscreants prefer to unleash new viruses on PCs; they wish to affect as much mayhem as is possible and the way to do that is to create viruses that attack PCs which hold 85-90% of the world computer market.

It would be a great move to get an Intel Mac. The processors being used are state-of-the-art Intel Core Duo chipsets, which are processors that have a dual core and act like as if there were actually two separate CPUs in one. The Intel Macs are much faster than your PowerBook G4, perhaps as much as 4x faster. They also can be equipped with 2GB super-fast DDR SDRAM, which makes multitasking a breeze.

Apple moved to the Intel processor because the company that made the processors for the G4 and G5 (IBM) was not really interested in accelerating R&D and development for Apple. Apple was a very small part of their sales every year and they had no motive to innovate and create the very fast & cool-running processors that are so badly needed to improve computing. Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, had promised a G5 PowerBook would be ready about 1.5 years ago, and IBM just didn't deliver the goods. IBM was making their big bucks by selling their PowerPC chipsets to Microsoft for the Xbox and Xbox 360; the money coming from Apple was fractional compared to the income derived from building processors for game consoles.

Cheers,

J.D.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

what's the worry?heh

What so hard about enabling anti-virus software when you log onto the internet. Dont open bull**** emails. Dont download strange files.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
Dont open bull**** emails. Dont download strange files.

Don't use Windows
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

I use an intel imac 2ghz as my primary recording platform with Logic. It's really, really fast. I'd say take the leap, with no reservation.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
Don't use Windows

dont listen to assholes either They might tell you not to use EQ too. And if you do choose to use EQ, its because you have a low IQ .
Old 16th June 2006
Here for the gear

I just got an Intel iMac and stuck 2 GB of RAM in there, and it is like lightning. The universal binary of ProTools is extremely snappy-- instantaneous redraws even with Reason open and tons of plugins going. Mine was a refurb-- it was $1099. Money well spent. ProTools has also been extremely stable-- no crashes or weirdness even with iTunes and Firefox open and Dashboard and Spotlight on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search