The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daws. Again.
Old 16th June 2006

Daws. Again.

Ok i'm done with my current projects...

What happened this time. i battled with poor midi timing, poor midi recording, and finally got it sorta usable, just to find that its still not so great with cubase sx 2.2.. Working on todd's project on his dual cpu machine we edited every bass note, and ever drum track slicing up like 20 to 40 thousand notes make that many events. the system slows to a crawl, the detect silence is a joke, the delete over laps option is buggy and kills events over 600 or something, if you try to bounce down multple tracks at once, it takes a million years, the interface becomes sluggish and un responsive, there is no iterative quantising for audio so you have to manually make a midi track and insert a midi note at every slice to create a custom groove track, then you can quantise that midi track iteratively before you make the groove, then you can quantise the audio to that custom groove track. but it made what should of taken about two weeks of editing is taking almost 4 months thanks to good ol steinberg, their bugs, slow interface and lack of features...

So what i want to know. is what other programs have tight midi, iterative quantising for audio, and a good fast interface ?

The only ones i can think to try is Pro tools, Samplitude(lacking many features), Digital Performer.

Logic has the crappiest interface of all so i'm avoiding it like the plague... Cubase has the best, but read above... I want to know about pro tools, and digital performer. I hated the interface on cakewalk as well. stupid...

The biggest problem of all is that i am in love with the algorithmix which is direct x and vst only..... :(
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

If your using a crack of Cubase, some of those 2.2 versions were buggy. Most registered users will be on SX3, which is much better.

There is something wrong if you are getting tight midi timing with SX - it's the premium midi sequencer out there. You need to understand their Micky Mouse way of handling

I suspect from your comments that you would struggle with any DAW, and Protools isn't for people who aren't committed to spending vast amount of money.

Do yourself a favour and checkout Reaper. It's fast, efficient 64 bit DAW that is currently free in beta development.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Samplitude is my suggestion. I love it. I came from Cubase/Wavelab, and Samp KILLED them both in my opinion.

you can buy a used copy on ebay and then upgrade to V8.

cracked versions are often buggy..one of the myriad reasons to use legit software.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Maniac

id go with DP over PT when it comes to midi. its been some time since i used DP. i remember it being real easy to use. pro tools is even easier to use but its midi isnt as great when it comes to editing.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Samplitude. Definitley Samplitude. Came from SONAR 5p and the differences are truley incredible. People who bitch and moan about Computers and Software and all this simply have not tried Samp. They may be talking about Sonar or Cubase but not Samp. Just a different league. I'll quit recording before I give up Samp.

Just my experience.
Old 16th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog
Samplitude. Definitley Samplitude. Came from SONAR 5p and the differences are truley incredible. People who bitch and moan about Computers and Software and all this simply have not tried Samp. They may be talking about Sonar or Cubase but not Samp. Just a different league. I'll quit recording before I give up Samp.

Just my experience.

does samplitude handle midi well? how is it for editing thousand of drum hits? how is its quantising?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Well, now there's the rub.

I'm pretty sure Samplitude is not considered to be the front-runner as it pertains to midi functionality. I don't really use midi so as an audio only guy, Samp is custom-made for me. That being said, the general consensus is that Samp has come a long way in improving the midi stuff and I'm sure V 9 (due out in the fall) will address those issues that may still be outstanding. I'm sure someone else who does use Midi in Samp will be able to assuage your midi concerns better.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

as a Nuendo 2.2/Cubase SX3 user I can honestly say that the midi timing is rock solid. there might be some other stuff goin on
Old 16th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25
as a Nuendo 2.2/Cubase SX3 user I can honestly say that the midi timing is rock solid. there might be some other stuff goin on

tell me what computer you have....
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Win XP SP1
Intel P4 3.2E
Abit AI7 mobo
2gb DDR400 RAM
Nuendo 2.2/Cubase SX3
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, now there's the rub.

I'm pretty sure Samplitude is not considered to be the front-runner as it pertains to midi functionality. I don't really use midi so as an audio only guy, Samp is custom-made for me. That being said, the general consensus is that Samp has come a long way in improving the midi stuff and I'm sure V 9 (due out in the fall) will address those issues that may still be outstanding. I'm sure someone else who does use Midi in Samp will be able to assuage your midi concerns better.

Dont mean to be rude, but im an aussie.

When is "The Fall"

Thanks
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

oh...sorry. September, October, November. Somewhere around then.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

What kind of computer do you have?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh...sorry. September, October, November. Somewhere around then.

Cant wait for that ****.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

IMHO once PT is configured and running correctly it is by far the most stable and reliable software available for PC. YMMV.
Old 16th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
What kind of computer do you have?

i have a p4 2.4ghz... intel mb, high end ram, the whole 9... spec'd for cubase by recomended sources...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search