The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
laptop (mbp) or desktop?
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Nut

laptop (mbp) or desktop?

Opinions: Getting into a either a new Macbook Pro or a new desktop for dedicated LE. Obviously it would be great to have both but cannot do.
Can a laptop do it all?
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

A MacBook Pro running at 2.16GHz with 2GB of RAM is a very powerful choice, most people will probably be able to run LE quite well with no problems. But my suggestion would be to wait a little while until Apple releases the new Intel-powered "PowerMac" equivalent desktop computers later this year (perhaps sooner rather than later; the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference is in early August and the new desktops may be introduced then). You never want to run out of CPU power at anytime, and I (on a PowerMac G5 with 2GB RAM) run out occasionaly, which is very frustrating. This only really happens when I am running tons of CPU-intensive plug-ins, but I want to be able to run as many plug-ins as I feel I need, so I think the Desktops when they are released are the only totally-sure bet to make sure you can use ALL the functionality of PT LE with the 48 stereo tracks allowed by purchasing the Music Production Toolkit.

Wait for a few months if you can just so you can check out the new MacIntel Pro Desktops, they should be here soon! Then make the decision; who knows, they could introduce even faster MacBook Pros by the end of the year....

Oh, and you might want to check out THIS THREAD on how fast the MacBooks are supposed to be... many people said that they were more than sufficient....

Cheers,
J.D.
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Nut

Many thanks J.D.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Unless you're REALLY going to be pushing the limits of the CPU, I'd go with a MBP (or even Macbook) if I were you. So few people actually need all the horsepower of a desktop and it's so much nicer to have something portable. YMMV.
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Nut

THanks for the reply.

I have been using a PC desktop for quite some time at a school where I teach introductory recording and PT. We are upgrading our systems and must decide between desktop or laptop.

Dumb question: can these new laptops take external keyboards and monitors? I would think yes.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrann11
can these new laptops take external keyboards and monitors? I would think yes.
Definitely external keyboards; just plug one in to a USB port. Monitors? well, I am pretty sure the MacBook Pro supports external monitors, not so sure about the regular macbooks. Check Apple.com for details..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search