The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Extra SATA Drive in your G5
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

Extra SATA Drive in your G5

I was just wondering how many of you guys have added an additional SATA drive to the inside of your g5?Which brand/model and how much extra noise it makes / ho much extra heat it lets out?
I'm about to purchase some more softsamplers and such which will require more space and I think a SATA instead of a more expensive external firewire drive might be the better move for me.

Any thoughts on this guys?
Thanks
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have 3 extra SATA drives in my G5 (4 total). You have to get an adapter to fit more than 2 drives. I have 2 Maxtors, one Seagate plus the stock drive.

They all work well and haven't had any problems. The Seagates seem a bit quieter but it was a little bit smaller (width wise) to fit in my brackets.

This is what I use: http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...?Category=2490
Old 15th June 2006
I have an extra SATA, Seagate Barracuda 7200/8. Totally quiet, very fast, and absolutely reliable. A breeze to install in the G5.

I get 138 tracks of audio in Logic Pro on the Seagate, with Journaling disabled.

I have all programs and samples on the system disk, and then all audio running of the extra SATA. This gives me the best performance.
Old 15th June 2006
Seagate Barracuda here as well, no extra noise from my system.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

BTW, I had my system drive fail the other night, so I borrowed a 10,000 rpm from a friend. I was really floored by how much faster PTLE runs. It was already doing really well, but now it's crankin'

I'm definitely gonna go for the SATA adapter. I've got a couple of FW drives streaming sounds, and I know if they were SATA the machine would be humming.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

i have 2 SATA 7200 drives in my Mac, Maxtor frmo what I remember. its not too noisy.

slightly OT but if i were to upgrade one of my 2 drives to a 10000rpm, should i do the system/applications drive or the soundfiles drive?
Old 15th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222
slightly OT but if i were to upgrade one of my 2 drives to a 10000rpm, should i do the system/applications drive or the soundfiles drive?
Your sound files drive
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

thanks thats what i presumed
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slogun
Seagate Barracuda here as well, no extra noise from my system.
+1
Old 15th June 2006
10k rpm is seldomly necessary in most cases. There's usually (a lot of) extra noise and faster tear, and some unstability issues (not on high quality devices though).

The cache is more important, and how your system is optimized, for instance turning off journaling and setting up your DAW correctly. However, using ProTools you will have to enable journaling. Too bad.
Old 16th June 2006
I have a seagate drive, its really quiet, but I think I need the swift data doo hickey
an stick a raid in there
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt
I have an extra SATA, Seagate Barracuda 7200/8. Totally quiet, very fast, and absolutely reliable. A breeze to install in the G5.

I get 138 tracks of audio in Logic Pro on the Seagate, with Journaling disabled.

I have all programs and samples on the system disk, and then all audio running of the extra SATA. This gives me the best performance.
I second this.
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

I got a western digital 10,000rpm.
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
I got a western digital 10,000rpm.
How is it in terms of heat and noise?

I've been wanting to replace my drives with 10,000 RPM Raptors, but heat and noise are major concerns for me.
Old 12th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post

Just curious. 138 traks of audio and what's the bit/freq? How many disks? RAID? Thanks.
Old 12th September 2006
Lives for gear

Alright, so looking at buying this thing now; from the pic I see that it's a PCIx card, is that right?
Attached Thumbnails
Extra SATA Drive in your G5-sdpicga3a.jpg  
Old 12th September 2006
Gear Guru

The G5's System Profiler should tell you what you've got. PCI-X or PCI-e
4 DIMM or 8DIMM slots
Is it a Dual Processor model or a Dual Core? I can't tell from the photo.

I still use my stock Maxtor 160 as an emergency back-up maintenance drive, but
everything important is on my Seagate 250GB Cuda.

I can't wait to get another matching Seagate 250.

Important service note.

There are 4 extra small black rubber feet in the chassis for mounting your 2nd drive
in the bay.

It DOES matter which drive you remove and install first.
You can't pull the top drive with the bottom drive in place.
The top drive slides down.
I've read several reports of people breaking the internal housing trying to force
the top drive out over the lower one.

It is So great having a second internal drive for maintenance or emergencies.
I have my repair drive pre-loaded with Data Rescue II and Disk Warrior
just in case.
Otherwise the Maxtor 160 is completely stock, loaded with the default 10.4.7

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search