Old 18th June 2006
Gear Addict

how can you run windows on mac ?
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHINE
how can you run windows on mac ?
Dual boot with "Boot Camp", or there is a new emulation software (I forget the name) Apple is bringing out to allow users to run both OS simultaneously.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW

http://xvsxp.com/

Interesting site (OSX vs XP is the topic). Don't have to time read it right now.

Psyko.
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Guru

Bootcamp. You need a new Intel Mac for this.

Alistair
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Head
I recently made the switch to Mac from PC. I have one of the new 15" MBP's from Apple, and more than the faster hardware, which I could get in a new PC, I love the operating system. I have a copy of Logic Pro Academic that I recently purchased, an M-Audio Audiophile firewire, Reason 3, and soon, a copy of pro-tools m-powered, and I love the way everything works great on OSX. This system is mainly for me to learn how to use these various types of software, for composition, for location recording for the various jazz and other bands I play bass with, and to track some personal compositions on electric and double bass. So far, I've done a few of those things, and it's worked flawlessly. The thing the mac really does for me, is it takes most of the hardware configuration pieces out of the puzzle. On a pc platform, you have to makesure that you have all the right components, that they are stable, and you have good driver support. On the Mac platform, it seems like some of the work is taken care of for you, you just have to make sure that your audio interface meets your requirements, and is compatible with the core audio in whatever way, class compliance, or has stable, solid drivers. My experience on PC's was somewhat nightmarish over the years, with several poor purchases based on advertising hype, and less on research for compatibility. I purchased less than perfect hardware for the price, and my audio recordings, and system stability paid for it in kind. My whole point is, either platform, if you do your homework, and get the right parts, you'll be happy. I prefer OSX to WinXP any day, but that's me, I'm a convert. Good luck.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHunter
Although very rare, spyware and viruses for Mac are out there. Using safe computing practices whether PC or Mac is always best. Always backup your work regardless of the platform you use.

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/ne...acosxleap.html
Of course, that is just good work ethic. Not backing things up is just plain stupid no matter what platform you use.
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAblablah
Hi everyone, long time lurker here...so I won't even touch the Mac/PC argument (I use both). But in reading this thread, I kept waiting for someone to notice one thing that P-Pants said earlier...he already owns a M-Audio 1814. So regardless of the platform he chooses, all he will need to run PTLE is a copy of the M-Powered version for about $300.00. He really won't need the 002R as the 1814 has the same I/O (actually more), plus it has Word Clock (wish my 002R had that!).
Bear

Actually, I'm enjoying the Computer Wars. Gives me things to think about. Thank you for noticing that I'm asking about an upgrade; it seems some people did miss that. I have the Mbased PT7 and the 1814, but the 1814 is a -10 system (so it's NOT the same I/O as the 02) and I don't get to take advantage of my mic pres...I have to use pads on every line...this can't be helping my sounds. What I'm really trying to do is get to a +4 system. Now that I know that the 02 is firewire only, I see that I don't need to upgrade or change my computer. What's so important about Word Clock? (I'm sure that's a "dumb" question...)
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNy C
Of course, that is just good work ethic. Not backing things up is just plain stupid no matter what platform you use.
I was mostly stating that Mac's can get viruses and spyware just like PC's and I thought I would throw in the whole "Have you backed up recently" into the equation. I'm an IT professional and maybe YOU are diligent about backing up but my experience tells me a many people do not do a good job of backups. I have seen many restorations from backup fail simply because the backups were corrupt for one reason or another or because a strategic backup plan wasn't in place.

Good work ethic or not, sometimes everyone needs a reminder even if it is stating the obvious.
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Addict

Dear Poopypants,

QUADZILLA. http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=5&o=7&fpart=1

Sincerely,
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012
Dear Poopypants,

QUADZILLA. http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...=5&o=7&fpart=1

Sincerely,

Thanks...I sent that one to the wife...makes my head hurt
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Addict

If i were building/buying a new DAW right there is no way i would settle for anything less than a Quad. It will give you the power that you need, and the power that you didn't think you needed, but end up needing.

Good Luck!
Old 29th June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_delizza
Save yourself a lot of headaches. Buy a mac.
Hmmmm....I don't see that. There's been a lot on both sides of the fence, as a non-hardware advocate...(i.e. buy what works, not what the ads say)...building your own is a huge win.

There's a great thread on the DUC for the Quadzilla (outperforms all known PC's and Mac's) and it's about $2000 depending on hardware choices.

Performance is near 5x an average CPU since it uses 4 cores and the latency is near insane (negligible) since there's plenty of CPU to go around.

I'd encourage a multicore, multiCPU solution.

As to latency...here's a great way to go...you can get around dedicated hardware, latency issues, etal with an inexpensive NATIVE computer. I'm neither Mac nor PC advocate, just best of breed for least amount of money.

Performance tests can be read in the Quad thread, needless to say, I'm getting performance equivalent to 5 of the Waves APA44m systems or another way to say it is my performance rivals an HD3 system

Hardware acceleration can't touch what we have natively on this new configuration. We've yet to see anything come close (when an accel card only does 36 Dverbs or the posted performance from Waves on the APA is sadly much slower than our box, I've yet to dig into my wallet for anymore hardware.

I can (and do) currently track close to 80 tracks (have been well into 120) with plugs galore and have no latency issues to speak of so if you're looking for a solution, the hardware is all on the approved list, build away

Here's the sum of what we've implemented (and will actually be in several magazine articles late this summer/fall):

The Quadzilla Native Rig

-Tyan Tiger K8WE (S2877ANRF) Motherboard - Detailed specs here.

(Purchased from Antares Digital)

-Two Opteron 270 Dual-Core CPUs

-4G of Corsair CM72SD1024RLP-3200 (1024MB Registered DDR400, 2 Ranks)

-One ASUS EN6600/TD/256 Video card

-Seagate SATA 160G 7200rpm hard drive

-Seagate SATA 500G 7200rpm hard drive

-Lite-On DVDRW SHW-1635S

-OCZ Powerstream 520W Power supply

-A very well ventilated generic case(The Tsunami VA3000SWA is now my current case).

Cost for the above ($2523US)

-Digi 002 Rack with PT LE 7.1cs6. Very stable with no issues other than the odd plug-in when PT LE 7 was first released.

Dverb test gives me 141 Dverbs with the ability to play/stop and record on all 32 tracks in a 24bit/48K session and a hardware buffer of 1024.

I've since added a Digi SCSI|128 with 3 outboard LVD's at 36Gig each

The Quadzilla Hybrid Rig

Moved to HD and added an HD Core card (as you'll note, this is only for access to TDM plugs like the Access Virus and such)

With a Digi 192io as my primary input.

This also makes mixing a joy and latency is nill.

I've dual imaged my system so I can utilize either the Digi002r or the HD system depending on my needs (currently I spend most of my time on the HD side).
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

my dual 2.7 g5, 6 gigs of RAM will run over 190 tracks of audio at 24/44.1 and over a hundred @ 24/96 off the 15000 rpm raptor drive, ON TOP OF any Insrtuments, Rewire channels (4 reason redrums/40 tracks) and Abblenton taking audio from track sends and spinning loops of the recorded audio, all automated so if I change a part in the DAW/reason any loop abbleton is taking/making is recut LIVE in real time and sent back to the daw, of course if this is what I want.
my maximum limit is somewhere around 120 tracks of audio, and 60 tracks of aux rewire returns. ridiculas

Ive had people work with me on some huge sessions here and at the end people are just stupified at the capabilties AND the stabilty.
I personaly have yet to see anyother machine, Including the HD3 accell Rig here(BTW, a quicksilver G4), match the flexibilty and performance of my DP G5, never ever had a single tiny little bity issue, or downtime, ever.

I personaly do not trust my or my clients art in a windows OS, and I do not trust the materials most box or custom PC's are built with, like a late 80's ford motor car, engineered to a limit, and designed to break.(maybee not some of the "audio PC's, but i dont know)
IF you need to pirate software, music, movies and plugins, a PC is your beast , but i have no respect for people who do this, but if thats whatyou need to do, do it, pc it, and put sone cash aside for when you need to replace the pc quickly, or lose the gig/

Put it this way, say you were sticken with a illness that compromised your bodys ability to pump blood consistantly, control glands and what they produce and even breath properly, and the doctors said they can get a computer to handle automatic control of all these functions.....It has to be implanted in your Hip, and you can pay 1100 for a windows based system to perform this or 2300 for a mac to perform this, what machine do you TRUST more. I know my answer. and money is not a factor.

but as always YMMV,

I personaly WAS a hardcore anti mac guy (up until like oh, 99'), but things change.
Old 10th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDrugLord
Hold up, ive been reading all this pro mac stuff here and thats fine, but one guy goes for the PC and its trolling????

C'mon with that!

Well ill tell you here and now i have a Athlon X2 3800 system with 4 GB of ram and my system can bury any 2 PPC mac systems (put together) when running audio software.

If you go out today and buy any new computer over $1000 it will run PT... this is not the 90's.

BTW, Macs are now PC's anyway. so whats the point?

In my opinion the point is that with a mac you get to run OSX but with a PC you have to run windows. I don't dislike PCs. I love linux. But I hate windows for recording.

To me and, perhaps only to me, a PC is like a hotrod and a mac is like a Bentley. Some people like to haul ass and some people like a quiet comfortable ride.

Peace.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

I always thought Digi were still quite a Mac-focussed company? Oh well... I use Logic, so Mac it is. My day job is graphic and web design, so naturally I only use a PC for testing and a couple of PC-only apps (which will disappear when the Intel replacement for the G5 arrives).

The price argument has been proven time over to be weak. Macs aren't cheap but neither are comparably-spec'd and built PCs designed for audio/DAW. You're asking for trouble if you're buying a cheapo Dell as the basis of your ProTools system.

Macs run OS X . PCs run Windows . Er... nuff said. ;-)

Unless you have some particular reason to want/need Windows (comfort, working knowledge, existing software)... get a Mac.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoiseflower
my dual 2.7 g5, 6 gigs of RAM will run over 190 tracks of audio at 24/44.1 and over a hundred @ 24/96 off the 15000 rpm raptor drive, ON TOP OF any Insrtuments, Rewire channels (4 reason redrums/40 tracks) and Abblenton taking audio from track sends and spinning loops of the recorded audio, all automated so if I change a part in the DAW/reason any loop abbleton is taking/making is recut LIVE in real time and sent back to the daw, of course if this is what I want.
my maximum limit is somewhere around 120 tracks of audio, and 60 tracks of aux rewire returns.
Dual Opterons can run 490 reverbs at the same time. Try that on your Mac and watch it choke long before you get to 100.

EDIT: the Opteron 270's used in this screenie are not even state of the art anymore. 275 and 280s are out now.
Old 11th July 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel
Dual Opterons can run 490 reverbs at the same time.
Although I'd like to applaud the screen shot, it only has 32 record enabled tracks, at best that's 160 instances of active DVerb.

the tests we were conducting in Quadzilla used a minimum of the M-audio (48 tracks) or the new production pack (48 active tracks). which has been proven to only produce in the realm of 140 to 154 active dverbs. The session that shows 400 plus was a clocking issue that has since been debunked and no longer is a valid benchmark.

Sorry

Bodie
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Even if 490 verbs is not valid, those Dual Opteron 270s that get 150 verbs are out dated now, and no Mac can even get close to those kind of numbers.
Old 16th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants
All of this has been really helpful.

I think that I'm going to start with just the Digi 02 and forget about the extra computer stuff for now. I'll just get my system up to +4db and work like that for a while before thinking about upgrading my converters (which should be the next step) and maybe upgrading my computer after that. I have decent mics and four channels of decent mic pres already. One step at a time, I shall pour my life and my families' resources into this black hole...
Good idea. I have an 002 factory that has been recently pimped. Rosetta 800, Great rivers, Germanium, Avalon, Focusrites, Distressors, Duende etc...For me the big change in sound was the mic(Soundelux)and after that maybe some of the mic pres. But I honestly did not noticed a huge (not as huge as i was told it would be) difference in the rosetta converters compared to those inside the 002. As a matter of fact if you like an uncolored sound IMO the 002 converters do a great job.
However I am now well aware that my next big purchase will have to be a mac daddy G5 quad. I am now still running a dual 1 g G4 and never have enough cpu to track and mix large track counts without getting a little creative, and even still...
In retrospect I probably would have gone with a used TDM/HD system.
Still may.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search