The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice please - 2nd Internal HD for my G5
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

Question Advice please - 2nd Internal HD for my G5

I'm looking to buy a second internal drive for my dual 1.8 G5 running Logic Pro. Any recommendations?
Thanks, joe.
Old 15th June 2006
I recommend Seagate Barracudas
Old 15th June 2006
I recommend Seagate Barracudas too. :-) 7200/8

Am I getting a slight deja vu? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/74357-extra-sata-drive-your-g5.html
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I got a WD 73GB 10K SATA drive that works quite lovely.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm considering one of those fast 10K rpm drives as well. Maybe even just a 36Gb one, big enough for me.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
I'm considering one of those fast 10K rpm drives as well. Maybe even just a 36Gb one, big enough for me.
That's exactly what I got. My neighbor gave it to me when my system drive went down in the middle of the night. I don't know much about drive specs, but he said it was a "business class" or something, and was rated for running 24 hours/day.

Is that what you guys are using? I'd never heard of it.
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanasan
I'm looking to buy a second internal drive for my dual 1.8 G5 running Logic Pro. Any recommendations?
Thanks, joe.
Yeah Seagate Barracuda, I put a 300gig 7200 Sata in my G5 Dual 2g and it works fine.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Stay away from Western Digital raptors, 150Gb / 10,000rpm for inside a Mac G5 ... Maxtor 300Gb/16Mb cache are working for me .... but I put the Western Digital raptors, 150Gb / 10,000rpm in a magma chassis ... they work GREAT ... high res. sessions NO PROBS ...
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
Stay away from Western Digital raptors, 150Gb / 10,000rpm for inside a Mac G5 ...
Why that? Heat problem?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why that? Heat problem?

No ... early G5's have Sata interface issue ... the WD 150gb, 10,000rpm HD causes the G5 to freeze/hang ...its REALLY annoying ...The WD 74Gb, 10,000rpm drive worked OK, but I found that 74Gb was too small for hi res. album projects .... i'd still go 16Mb cache HD if you stay @ 7,200 rpm ...
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
No ... early G5's have Sata interface issue ... the WD 150gb, 10,000rpm HD causes the G5 to freeze/hang ...its REALLY annoying ...The WD 74Gb, 10,000rpm drive worked OK, but I found that 74Gb was too small for hi res. album projects .... i'd still go 16Mb cache HD if you stay @ 7,200 rpm ...
Good to know, as I've a first generation dual G5, it's not the first revision tho. So what is this SATA interface issue exactly, as the smaller HD seems to work? Or doesn't it work too well either?
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good to know, as I've a first generation dual G5, it's not the first revision tho. So what is this SATA interface issue exactly, as the smaller HD seems to work? Or doesn't it work too well either?

if u check out thw Western Digital site ... they have info on G5 compatibility ...
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
if u check out thw Western Digital site ... they have info on G5 compatibility ...
Thanks, will check!
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Maniac

WD G5 compatibility - here's the link

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search