The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does Logic Pro beat Protools Mpowerd?
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Head

Does Logic Pro beat Protools Mpowerd?

I was suprised to see after doing the math that both these DAWs
cost about the same...

Logic Pro 7 - $1000. (but includes Space Designer and other quality AUs etc...)

Protools Mpowered - $250 + Production Pack (TL Space etc) - $500 + Some sort of M audio : ( (dongle) at least $300 and up...

I wouldnt want to use the Maudio for my main converters so either way i'd
be picking up RME/Apogee/M.H. for my convertors...

So it's really down to Quality of DAW...
Midi's not enormously important to me at the moment.
What I need is an elegant DAW with great editing, mixing
ease of use but no compromise...Oh and a great reverb..hmm
(I've limited it to these DAWs for Intel Compatability)

What say you Slutz???
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

If you don't need midi then go with Pro Tools. The audio in Logic is a joke.... except it's not funny... it's sad.

That being said, the midi in Pro Tools is a joke.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

There a thousands of pros using logic to make records and the audio side,while not as slick as protools, is still great.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

If the price is the same (or similar), then it comes down to pure preference. Is there any chance you can play around a little bit with both? I think I prefer the editing capabilities of ProTools.... but in all fairness, that was really the first software I was familiar with. Logic sounds just as good.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Head

Protools vs Logic

looking at the features of both...

Logic -
ADC
No track limit
up to 192K
space Designer
Good Standard Plugin EQ's etc

Protools M Powered
48 track limit - with production pack
96k limit
TL Space - Supposed to be great
have to use specific hardware - : (
better audio features???

Logic seems to have some advantages...
am I overlooking some key issues???
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Nut

What is it that Logic doesn't do, or doesn't do as well as pro tools.

I've used PT quite a bit about 2 years ago and now use Logic Pro exclusively I am accustom to Logic but there is only one thing I can think of that I wish Logic did better, which was a beat protector. It has strip silence, which is nice but not all it could be.
Old 14th June 2006

Logic is an amazing program.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

+ for pro-tools

Beat detective

playlists

take lists

massey plug-ins heh

compatibility

+ for logic

It comes with waveburner. That is a sweet program!!
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Addict

Logic Pro is great... There are tons of features (not to mention plug-ins and synths) in it that you won't find in crippled ProTools. Plus, the flexibility to choose your own I/O.

Thus, the price difference.

I wouldn't say the audio is a joke! I've seen some Logic users who make it look pretty good.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
If you don't need midi then go with Pro Tools. The audio in Logic is a joke.... except it's not funny... it's sad.

That being said, the midi in Pro Tools is a joke.

I Don't know about logic's audio being a "joke" as such. It's not great but it definitely is not a "joke".....

If you are primarily tracking bands or doing multiple track counts run protools....
If you are wriiting your material i would definitely go with logic.....

I had and still have PT and like it for tracking ......Then i found logic for composing
and found it much more beneficial....

I'm sure you'll work it out....
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Speaking of crippled programs......try comparing Logic Express to Pro Tools Mpowered.

You still get a lot of killer softsynths in xpress, only 12 inputs....but....its only around $300....use the extra cash for an apogee....and a lil more cash too I guess...

sdf
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift
I Don't know about logic's audio being a "joke" as such. It's not great but it definitely is not a "joke".....

If you are primarily tracking bands or doing multiple track counts run protools....
If you are wriiting your material i would definitely go with logic.....

I had and still have PT and like it for tracking ......Then i found logic for composing
and found it much more beneficial....

I'm sure you'll work it out....
I agree with you... except I really do feel Logic's audio editting is a joke. I use Logic exclusively. I love many things about it, but have you ever tried editting a BIG audio session? 16 tracks of drums etc etc.. It's a HUGE pain in the ass. You can't process audio on the arrange page... i.e. you can't audiosuite a section of audio. I could go on but my fingers would start to bleed.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
I agree with you... except I really do feel Logic's audio editting is a joke. I use Logic exclusively. I love many things about it, but have you ever tried editting a BIG audio session? 16 tracks of drums etc etc.. It's a HUGE pain in the ass. You can't process audio on the arrange page... i.e. you can't audiosuite a section of audio. I could go on but my fingers would start to bleed.
I'd really like to hear more about why it is a "joke". I'm not saying your wrong, I am just oblivious as to what it is missing

Don't forget if you are a student or know any students (actually they don't even check to see if you are in school) you can get Logic for 50% off.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebughunter
I'd really like to hear more about why it is a "joke". I'm not saying your wrong, I am just oblivious as to what it is missing

Don't forget if you are a student or know any students (actually they don't even check to see if you are in school) you can get Logic for 50% off.
make that 30%. same price as Logic Express.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/73989-student-discounts.html
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'd like to get into it, trust me I would... but I have too many deadlines pressing on me right now. There are a lot of threads on GS ranting about Logic.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

If you are going to be making music by relying on the proprietary plug-ins of each program I would go with Logic. Pro Tools does not include nearly as many quality plug-ins or instruments. On the other hand, Logic does not have beat detective or tab to transient (yet...), which gives it a hefty disadvantage for editing audio.

I would rather track a band in Pro Tools than in Logic though, so I guess it all depends on what you are going to be doing with it.

Logic = A MIDI sequencer that eventually added audio
Pro Tools = An audio sequencer that eventually added MIDI
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Head

as i said earlier midi is not important to me.
and Beat detective is not for me.

Why is Logic weak in the audio realm?
It has ADC and it seems like it gives you much more
options i/o

How does space designer compare to TL space?

if I got Protools M powered it would be with the additional
Music Production toolkit...I need a good reverb

and I have to say I would much rather use an apogee straight
in to the box rather then be stuck with a cheap M-audio (Door opener)
where ever i go.

However as much as I resist a part of me still leans towards Protools...
must be the temptations of the dark side!!!
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird
and I have to say I would much rather use an apogee straight
in to the box rather then be stuck with a cheap M-audio (Door opener)
where ever i go.
If that is the case then get Logic. I am fortunate enough to be able to run both, but if I had to choose one to go with it would Logic.

Or would I? heh

Seriously though, Logic...

Space designer is a great plug-in, and as mentioned earlier, is just one of the many great plug-ins that come with Logic.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is it that Logic doesn't do, or doesn't do as well as pro tools.

I've used PT quite a bit about 2 years ago and now use Logic Pro exclusively I am accustom to Logic but there is only one thing I can think of that I wish Logic did better, which was a beat protector. It has strip silence, which is nice but not all it could be.

I keep asking myself the same question , obviously programs have things that are specific to them, but what is outside a few specific things that Tools can do better over Logic ? Can you in P.tools just pitch up a word , in 2 sec flat , can you cut and drag a piece of audio quicker , god help you if you forget to activate grid heh

Bearing in mind i have had a P.tools mix system for the last 6 years , and given the choice would pick Logic everytime for speed and workflow, not to mention it's midi implementation for production is to die for , in fact P.tools only guys cann't believe the speed i can get things done in Logic over P.tools ! So is a few tricks like beat detective and maybe sample accurate editing the reason some think Tools is better than Logic for Audio ?

As far as this thread is concerned , it's a no brainer if we are talking about Mpowered P.tools over Logic Pro , it would be Logic , and if you are a producer and not just a mix engineer it would be absolutely no contest .....
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

I would pick Logic if I had to choose between those two options. I you can wait, it would be interesting to see what LogicPro8 will bring. Maybe there the whole interface and the audio editing will be so much better then it is now? Also, to me it seems that if you work on Apple, choosing for an Apple application is just good choice.

BTW, I think SX is better on midi as well audio as your options, tho' is totally lacking on the plug in side (hopefully this will change in SX4)...

Regards,

Roger
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz
So is a few tricks like beat detective and maybe sample accurate editing
Sample accurate editing is a trick? I would say REQUIRED! And please let me do it in the edit window instead of having to pull it into a another window.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Here's one from left field... If audio is your main focus, try bootcamp and Samplitude. Same price as Logic and it comes with OUTSTANDING verbs and comps. The plugs are extremely high quality. Audio quality is arguably the best in the DAW universe. Rock solid stability.

From what I understand, Samplitude running on macs w/ bootcamp have been a raging success. Absolutety solid.

Just a thought .
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

I encourage all of the Logic users out there to check out this site... http://logicprohelp.com/viewforum.php?f=12

They just added a forum that is suggestions for Logic that is actually going to be looked at by the developers! Hopefully we will get all of the features that we have been longing for!
Old 14th June 2006
I teach Logic Pro at UCLA.

For composing and midi it far surpasses PT and comes with better plug-ins and virtual instruments. It is much more cpu efficient. It is a much more complete package. The audio editing is not a joke but neither is it as flexible and intuitive as PT or DP. If I had the dough I would love to have a PT HD Accel rig for mixing and audio editing.

However, PT LE is a far cry from PT HD. It is extremely inefficient in its plug-in handling. You can only use a handful of cpu hungry ones compared to Logic and it is married to lousy or overpriced hardware choices.

I would choose Logic or DP or Cubase/Nuendo on the PC way ahead of PT LE.
Old 14th June 2006
Apart from a few niggles Logic Pro far surpasses ProTools in almost all aspects IMO.

I use both Logic Pro (in my own studio) and ProTools (Danish National Broadcast Corporation), but ProTools is a lot *less* flexible than Logic, and also a lot slower.

I wish people would get to know the powerful features, especially all the key commands, before claiming Logic is a joke when it comes to audio editing. Personally I find the joke is on ProTools (or rather people buying into the PT hype).
Old 14th June 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

There ya go KEY COMMANDS that is the Magic word for Logic users .. so true!

One just has to understand and program all the key commands and a whole new world opens up inside of Logic ...

It seems that Logic is a good program , but you have to set it up - It is designed like that - you set up the whole thing according to your likes ...
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Head

Alright guys..Thanks for all the wise words!!!

So to get nitpicky -

1. How does "Space Designer" Compare to "TL Space" ?

2. As for as a Control Surface - Digi 02 is out of my budget
So with P.T. My only real option is "M Audio Project i/O"
(This wouldnt be my convertors just inteface and Dongle)
then there would be an additional apogee for conversion)
This system feels a little clutered to me...maybe cool?
-
With Logic I would lean towards the Mackie MCU for Control
and get Dedicated Convertors Ala Apogee - These three
feel pretty elegant together, No?

any other ideas

oh yeah...Samplitude with Bootcamp...****! too many options

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search