The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Glyph Portagig vs. 16MB cache $270 cheaper alternative
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Glyph Portagig vs. 16MB cache $270 cheaper alternative

I am interested in adding an external Firewire 400 HD to my MBox / laptop setup.

I'm considering the Glyph Portagig: $400. The plus side it is powered off of the Firewire bus so no extra thing to plug in. Downside is price ($400) and the 8MB instead of 16MB cache of $270 cheaper.....

ARGOSY ALUMINUM 3.5" USB 2.0 / FIREWIRE IEEE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE W/ MAXTOR 200GB EIDE 7200RPM (16MB) CACHE $128

Am loving the specs and price but was wondering what any slutz might have to say about the potential negatives of this external HD.

Kind Regards, trans
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Bueller?.....Bueller?.....

Old 19th June 2006
Gear Maniac

3 strikes........

& I'm out dfegad

Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

i would be cautious of drives that run on bus power. as far as 8/16MB cache goes you are going to hit the LE track limit before the drive hits its limit.
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

i've never really cared to spend all the extra money on glyph drives.. the hot swap ones are cool but still i'm not gonna pay that much. i have 3 maxtor diamond max 16mbcache 400gig drives on my daw. 2 inside and 1 in a firewire case with an 80gig for my os...

save yourself the $270
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Check these out

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVE-mini.cfm

Also. With external drives its more important to make sure you put a high quality drive like a seagate inside. The case is important too, but not as important as the drive.
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

External Firewire HD

Thanks for the replies guyz. I'm thinking I'll just go with the initial $130 purchase for the 200GB drive and consider they Glyph later on down the road if this choice proves problematic.

Kind Regards, trans
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

just make sure the cheeper option has the oxford 911 chipset and ull be fine
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Glyph is overpriced.

There are only a few drive manufacturers, so Glyph merely buys a drive you could buy yourself and puts it in their case. There is no magic or superiority to Glyph drives. It boggles my mind that people spend the extra $$$.

And FWIW, I've had Glyph drives die within an hour of hooking them up, so there goes any theory of superior QA. The only caveat to buying drives that seem too cheap to be true is that they are not refurbs.
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Oxford 911 chipset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
just make sure the cheeper option has the oxford 911 chipset and ull be fine
How can one make absolutely sure of this?

This "Oxford 911 chipset"...what exactly is this specification speaking to....the interaction between the HD housing to HD to Firewire?

Thanks again, much appreciated!
Old 22nd June 2006
Lives for gear

its the IDE to FireWire chipset
good manufactures will say they use it any that dont say anything about it dont use it.
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Oxford 911 chipset

Excellent. Based upon new information regarding the Oxford 911 chipset I am now looking at the following:

COOLMAX 3.5" USB 2.0 / FIREWIRE (OXFORD 911) ALUMINUM COMBO EXTERNAL HDD ENCLOSURE W/ MAXTOR DIAMOND MAX 10 250GB 7200RPM (16MB) ATA/133: $146

thanks for the info and help guyz!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search