The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DKFHS C&V ? Ram or Disk Stream
Old 11th June 2006
Here for the gear

DKFHS C&V ? Ram or Disk Stream

I've purchased DKFHS C&V and I'm not sure when I install...should I place all of the folders (samples) on the OS drive or my Sample drive. I'm aware that the basic program will go into my Steinberg/Cubase/VST Plugin folder.

I'm just not sure about those 35GB of samples.

Thanks for any assistance.

Paul
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Go with the OS drive.

You can choose to use either RAM or cache load.

ruudman
Old 11th June 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks so much, Ruudman. I was reading in the manual regarding the use of the cache load, but it then left me with the question regarding install of samples. You cleared it up and I thank you.

Paul
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Just to clarify Ruudman's answer a bit...

The samples in DFHS are always loaded into RAM. The placement of the samples on your hard drive is completely up to you, and it shouldn't impact performance.

The option you do have is whether you want to load the entire kit into ram at once (no cache) or to load them as they are triggered for your sequence/performance (cache).
Old 11th June 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks Dave,

I've begun the install process & yes I've decided to put the samples (Folder called Superior - on each of the DVD's) onto my Sample drive which has space for about 246 GB.

I'm assuming that when I'm done copying all of the samples to my E: samples drive...I then go back to the install disk (DVD #1) and then put the basic program into my Steinberb/Cubase/VST plugin folder.

(trying to do the install at the same time as checking these posts so I don't screw this up.)

I'm up to disc 2 and it seems strange to just place each DVD's Superior file overtop of each previous disc install, but I guess that that's correct. It keeps saying that "there is already a file of the same name and if there is a file with the same name it will be overwritten". But, I'm assuming that each DVD's Superior file does not have the same files within it, sooooo. I guess I'm okay.

Let me know if I've got the above correct.

And if I can ask 1 more question...regarding the ram load or cache load. I've got 2 GB of RAM and I'll be using a few VST's (Piano/Bass) and some Waves plugs. Mostly it's singer/songwriter styles. Any suggestions as to whether I'd be better with the Ram Load or Cache Load.

Thanks again, for your assistance.

Paul
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for clearing things up, Dave.
I just realized what cryptic answer I had given....I am too lazy

ruudman
Old 11th June 2006
Here for the gear

It's okay, Ruudman. Brevity is a virtue also. Actually, I used the manual and then your answer to help fill in the blanks.

Any other ideas regarding that RAM load or Cache load. I'm doing mostly vocal,guitar demo's for festival work, but for pleasure it's fun to take some original material and fill it in with some keyboard/bass/drums. Any ideas as to how I'll fare with 2 GB of ram?

Maybe, it's a case of try it and if the computer's choking a bit with too many vst instruments and effects...I'll need to do the cache load for the drums. Do I have the right idea, here?

Paul
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

From the Toontrack site:

Quote:
The update, 1.5, features Toontrack Percussive Compression, a
revolutionary on-the-fly compression/decompression technology that
helps to keep the sampler memory footprint low at no cost to playback
quality.

Also available in the new update is 16 Bit playback, a feature that will
minimize demand on resources even further, up to a factor 5 in
combination with TPC. This will be of particular interest to performers
who do not need pristine quality while tracking their parts but demand
the best for their final output.

Great, huh? heh

BTW, I use 1.5 Gb...

ruudman
Old 11th June 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for the update 1.5 info, Ruudman. I did download (not installed yet, as I'm only on disc 6 for samples install) the 1.4 & 1.5 zip files. Can I go directly to 1.5 or should I do 1.4 then 1.5 updates?

I believe that should take care of all questions, but who knows...I still have to install the actual program. Just so you know, I did email Toontrack yesterday, but being Saturday they emailed that they would get back to me. Not knowing when they'd get back, I thought that I'd go ahead and try this on Sunday while I had some time.

I thank you again for your assistance.

Let me know as to whether the 1.5 update is cumulative and then I won't bother with the 1.4 update.

Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search