The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dell Inspiron e1705 laptop opinions?
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Nut

Question Dell Inspiron e1705 laptop opinions?

What do you all think of those dual core Dell Inspiron e1705 notebooks? It looks like a good bang/buck laptop that should work well with a dual firewire 800 Express Card..<was thinking of using 1 port for a RME I/O box and other port for external harddrive.
Old 11th June 2006
Here for the gear

check your IRQs in device manager and see of many devices are set to the same IRQ

too many devices on the same IRQ means the firewire wont work right

the firewire MUST be on its own IRQ with MOST firewire devices to monitor 2 channels with no crackle/pop

I learned this from the $1000 Mackie ONYX firewire 1220 sitting useless in my studio until I build another desktop PC to support it.

My $1900 laptop evidently wasnt good enough ... even though it came with firewire, and I even tried workarounds with PCMCIA cards, etc

firerwire can be a ripoff BEWARE
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Nut

Unhappy

oh **** :(. thanks for telling me, i guess this means the e1705 won't work properly with something like a RME FireFace 400 recording 8 tracks of 24bit/88.2khz simultaneously? I thought i'd be okay with using that express card slot with a firewire 800 card :(.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search