The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying Computer DVI Monitors
Old 11th June 2006
Buying Computer DVI Monitors

I want to buy two new 19" flat panel DVI-D monitors, and the best prices and service seems to be at Newegg.com. But, like all other monitor dealers via Internet sales, they say that 1-3 or so dead pixles can happen, and is normal. It is not considered cause for return.

So, is it worth the risk to buy with possible dead pixles, or eat the extra $20+ and buy it retail down at Fry's where I can test it and see it?

Anyone have good or bad experiences buying monitors vid online?

Thanks for all input!

KT
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

for 20 bucks why risk it
if the difference is bigger then it is worth it.
IMO with LCD always see it before you buy it
Old 12th June 2006
T9c
Gear Maniac

I wonder if you could even see 1-3 dead pixels, assuming they're not contiguos.

One good reason to go Internet is the lack of sales tax, in many cases. Some Internet dealers are charging for tax to Texas these days, tho (CDW, for one). If you're a business and reporting correctly, you'd pay sales tax quartely or annually anyway.

You may be able to find the same exact monitors at Fry's that are your pick on Egghead, but not always. If so, you can experience what they look like. At least jot down the specs and compare to the lcd's at the store.

One of the LCD features you'll want to pay attention to for clarity is the contrast ratio. 600:1 is ok, but 800:1 isn't uncommon and better of course.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9c
One good reason to go Internet is the lack of sales tax, in many cases. Some Internet dealers are charging for tax to Texas these days, tho (CDW, for one). If you're a business and reporting correctly, you'd pay sales tax quartely or annually anyway.
If the Internet company is based in your state, or has a store in your state, then they have to charge you sales tax of the state they're shipping to.

I bought a laptop gateway with one bad pixel just off center and Gateway said that was within their spec. I said it wasn't within mine, so I sent it back to them and bought a Dell.
Go to Fry's, you'll pay the 20 you'd pay for shipping and only really be paying the sales tax as extra, but you'll have the unit that day and can head to the store if you have problems. If prices are that close, I always try to support the brick n mortar business'
Old 13th June 2006
Here for the gear

Talking use newegg with no worries

I'm a PC Tech and I've bought well over $10,000 of computer components, peripherals, and monitors from Newegg and only had 1 RMA on an Intel mobo that was fixed within the week from them.

There is nobody like them anywhere on earth when it comes to customer service. I had someone on the line (1-800 no less and not on my dime) within 10 minutes and they handled it immediately and even let me move to an ASUS board as the Intel was out of stock.

Don't hesitate to do business with newegg.com, you'll wish everybody handled your business that well. All my shipments have shown up a day early, never had a late shipment from them. I don't buy computer parts and accessories from anyone else over the last 3 years, their prices are always the lowest.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I bought two Fujitsu 19" monitors from Newegg.com and both were perfect. I was i little dismayed at first because the monitors were both sent in their original factory boxes and weren't double boxed. But both since both were perfect, all was well.

Another thing to consider is the shipping method. Most people say that UPS is harder on your packages than Fedex, so try to get everything shipped Fedex if at all possible. (Only bummer is you might have to get someone to sign for you.)

I love Newegg, even though I have to pay sales tax here in California, their shipping time is unparallalled. Also they have Fedex as a shipping option.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I just ordered a harddrive on saturday from Newegg and it was delivered via UPS ground to Florida on Monday. Certainly not typical, but damn thats quick. Completely blew me away.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Addict

I bought 2 Planar 19" VGA LCDs from tiger direct...They are complete pieces of garbage and my eyes burn looking at them. God don't ever buy planar monitors. 1 dead pixel is very annoying too..

Newegg rocks, I order parts for my pcs from there all the time. Their customer service is great..
Old 16th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRaX
I bought 2 Planar 19" VGA LCDs from tiger direct...They are complete pieces of garbage and my eyes burn looking at them. God don't ever buy planar monitors. 1 dead pixel is very annoying too..

Newegg rocks, I order parts for my pcs from there all the time. Their customer service is great..

Yeah, I KNOW Tigerdirect, sigh...sorry that happened....I have bought computer parts from Newegg for years, and know them to rock, but they DO specify that LCD monitors may have 1-8 dead pix which they do not consider cause for return...even though, I kinda figure they would do it anyway, knowing them.

Being a control freek, I ended up going to Fry's a couple nights back, and Lo and Behold, I found two Dell-based 19" monitors, on sale for $169 each, AND, with each purchase that week only, of a 19" monitor, I got a free printer (a mid level $60 printer, not bad).

So, I pulled each one out, tested it, compared it to 10 high$ ones, bought them, and walked with $120 in free printers.

Hmm....anyone wanna buy a printer?? Only $80!!! LOL.

K

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search