The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panther or Tiger on G3?
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Panther or Tiger on G3?

Hi all, I installed a new drive in my wife's g3/500 iBook, It had been running 10.3.9 which was pretty sluggish on it. Before I reinstall, does anyone know if Tiger would be better or worse in terms of processor efficiency?

Thanks,
Paul B
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Tiger is slightly more CPU intensive due to dashboard and spotlight, both can be disabled though, but you'll not gain performance over 10.3.9
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

bumpity
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a B&W G3 that's about the same speed (450mhz I believe). I had Panther on it for a while but took it back to Leopard 10.2.8 as it just seemed to be about the height of OSX performance from that computer. I was getting strange and sluggish performance in 10.3. I'm sure that Tiger would be worse. Usable, but clunkier on that old laptop.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have to be 10.3 or greater for our online banking stuff so it's Panther or Tiger. I'm leaning toward Tiger but turning off the extras as Geert mentioned.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search