The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HD vs HD Accel
Old 10th June 2006
HD vs HD Accel

How can you tell whether an HD system is HD or HD Accel?

Is that jsut the difference between PCI and PCIe?
Old 10th June 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

The difference between HD Accel and HD isn't determined by PCI vs PCIe, because there are HD and HD Accel cards that are PCI. There are also HD and HD accel cards that are PCIe. The PCIe format was only developed to fit into newer Macs that use PCIe only slots.

I'm not sure if you're looking for visual or functional differences between the cards, but Accel cards have more dsp horsepower than regular HD cards. This can be seen by opening the DSP usage window in PT and comparing the amount of chip slots available between the two types of cards.
Old 11th June 2006
That's what I needed to know - thanks!
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hi!
HD Accel Process cards are available as both PCI/PCI-X and PCIe.
HD Core Accel is PCIe only.
HD Process (original, non-Accel) are PCI/PCI-X only.

Currently, PCIe versions will only work with OS-X. Digidesign claims it is due to the lack of HD3 Accel PCIe capable systems/motherboards for XP (total BS, but what can ya do?)

Personally, I would really like to see them get PCIe XP capable, and then allow PCIe and PCI cards to be mixed. For XP users, there are motherboards that would support this, and it would be cool to only upgrade the Core to Accel Core, and keep using the PCI/PCI-X Accel cards. Oh well...
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

Pro Tools|HD 1 = Software with 1 Core Card (pci)
or
Software with 1 Accel Core Card (pcie)

Protools HD 2 Accel = Software with HD Core card and 1HD Accel card (PCI)
or
Software with Accel Core card and 1 HD Accel card (PCIe)

Protools HD 3 Accel = Software with HD Core card and 2 HD Accel cards (PCI)
or
Software with Accel Core card and 2 HD Accel cards (PCIe)

And, so on. The tagline "HD ACCEl" when speaking of a system is a way of pointing out that the system has been expanded by Accel cards as opposed to the older, but similar, Proccess Cards.

You will see people saying they have an "HD 7 Accel" system. They are saying that they have an HD Core Card (or, as of PCIe, an "Accel Core Card") + six Accel Cards.

All cards carry 9 DSP chips.

As for the difference between the new "Accel Core" and original Core (either than PCIe versus PCI) cards, I cannot answer.

As for the other cards, I'd be happy to devulge information on number of voices and discrete I/O's (via additional hardware) and etc. if you request.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k
Hi!
HD Accel Process cards are available as both PCI/PCI-X and PCIe.
HD Core Accel is PCIe only.
HD Process (original, non-Accel) are PCI/PCI-X only.

Currently, PCIe versions will only work with OS-X. Digidesign claims it is due to the lack of HD3 Accel PCIe capable systems/motherboards for XP (total BS, but what can ya do?)

Personally, I would really like to see them get PCIe XP capable, and then allow PCIe and PCI cards to be mixed. For XP users, there are motherboards that would support this, and it would be cool to only upgrade the Core to Accel Core, and keep using the PCI/PCI-X Accel cards. Oh well...
i have to agree with all of that.
in digis defence i will point out that there have been a number of issues with early PCIe devolopment but it would be nice if they would give an aproximate timeline. and a mix of PCI/X and PCIe cards could be a real money saver in building a large HD rig.

as far as i know the only difference is the accel cards use faster chips, the exact speeds have been mentioned around here before. some plug-ins require an Accell card especially at high sampler rates.
Old 11th June 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Wow, there was more to it than I knew. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Addict

I got a book that details the differences in full...sitting in my car.
Alas, I'm going to bed.

There is a substantial difference between the process and accel cards.
Pertains to Voice count, I believe.

Too tired, must go to bed.

Something about making sure you have accel cards installed before the process
cards in order to ensure a...I'm..falling..aslpfeonmlk.
Old 13th June 2006
Here for the gear

Each HD Accel Card includes 9 DSP chips:

Seven chips on the Accel card are 220mhz Motorola DSP chips, they are more than twice as fast as the chips on the HD Process cards. These chips are provided in the following configurations listed below.

Types of DSP chips on an HD Accel card:

(2) - 100MHz DSPs with 256k SRAM (i.e. off chip memory) - These chips are the same as those on an HD Core or Process.
(4) - 220MHz DSPs with 192k on chip memory and 512k SRAM (these chips are used to accomodate long delays and even reverbs at 88.2 kHz and higher sample rates.)
(3) - 220MHz DSPs with 192k on chip memory (these chips are capable of supporting a wide variety of plug-ins with more instances than previously available.)

I hope this helps,
Ron
Old 13th June 2006
Here for the gear

Here is a link that explains the difference between HD Accel Core PCI-E vs. HD Core PCI.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...ower_26690.pdf

Enjoy.

Ron
Old 23rd June 2010
Zoz
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR View Post
Pro Tools|HD 1 = Software with 1 Core Card (pci)
or
Software with 1 Accel Core Card (pcie)

Protools HD 2 Accel = Software with HD Core card and 1HD Accel card (PCI)
or
Software with Accel Core card and 1 HD Accel card (PCIe)

Protools HD 3 Accel = Software with HD Core card and 2 HD Accel cards (PCI)
or
Software with Accel Core card and 2 HD Accel cards (PCIe)

And, so on. The tagline "HD ACCEl" when speaking of a system is a way of pointing out that the system has been expanded by Accel cards as opposed to the older, but similar, Proccess Cards.

You will see people saying they have an "HD 7 Accel" system. They are saying that they have an HD Core Card (or, as of PCIe, an "Accel Core Card") + six Accel Cards.

All cards carry 9 DSP chips.

As for the difference between the new "Accel Core" and original Core (either than PCIe versus PCI) cards, I cannot answer.

As for the other cards, I'd be happy to devulge information on number of voices and discrete I/O's (via additional hardware) and etc. if you request.
Thanks so much Rob, this info has helped me heaps

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search