The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
M-Powered: The Verdict?
Old 9th June 2006
  #1
Gear Nut
 

M-Powered: The Verdict?

Simple Question: Is Pro Tools - M worth it?

Now that it's (officially) compatible with the Mac-Intels, it's on my list (because I simply don't have the money for an HD system), but I was wondering if there was any significant difference between M-Powered and LE. I'd like to be able to use it (on a high end native system) for Music (which I'm sure it will handle fine), but also Post Production. Would I need to get something like DV-Toolkit to do any serious work to video? Thanks.

As a side note, I've personally found that I prefer the converters in the M-Audio hardware to those in the 002. That said, the eventual goal is to nab up something like an Apogee Ensemble, as well. (Also working with Logic.)

-Zen
Old 9th June 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
autodidactic's Avatar
 

M-Powered is not compatible with DV Toolkit, only LE has that option.
Old 10th June 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

Apogee Ensemble I don't believe works as a standalone converter.

I currently run an M-Audio Audiophile Firewire w/Pro Tools M-Powered using an Apogee Rosetta 200 as the front end. Works beautifully.
Old 10th June 2006
  #4
Gear Nut
 

So, say if I were going into the Project Mix I/O, and I needed the 8 channels in, probably better to go with the Rosetta 800 for A/D via lightpipe?

Also, I understand that multiple M-Audio devices are not supported by M-Audio or Digi, but has anyone had any success making it work with multiple M-Audio devices? More curiousity than necessity.

Bummer about DV Toolkit. I wonder if they will release an M compatible version of it at some point, or if that's one of their demarcating lines between M and LE.

Thanks again,

-Zen
Old 10th June 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami
Also, I understand that multiple M-Audio devices are not supported by M-Audio or Digi, but has anyone had any success making it work with multiple M-Audio devices? More curiousity than necessity.
M-audio has promised this in a future update of the drivers. No word on when though...
-Mike
Old 10th June 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
gsilbers's Avatar
 

stay away from m-audio like its the plague. i think peter griffin is the quality control guy there.
Old 10th June 2006
  #7
i need to get the smallest version of PT that runs DigiTranslator - so for me, i need the least-costly thing, i know i'll need some kind of hardware just to run the program, basically it's going to be an expensive Digi-dongle. is M-Powered the best option?
Old 10th June 2006
  #8
Here for the gear
 

I like my ProjectMix I/O.

Although I have only used to to run direct -- along with a Universal Audio LA-610 that I am using for input signal.

The input preamps on the M-Audio sound good on the mic-level selectors -- decent quality and low noise. Plus you can input at 88.2khz or 96Khz if you need to.

Naturally, you will get some transistor artifacts if you are pushing the M-Audio preamp hard on line level at the highest gain levels.


But I like the capabilities of it M-Audio piece.

I also run Ableton Live 5.2.
My initial impressions are that the built in digital effects on Ableton Live sound a lot better than the ProTools effects. At least the Reverb effects on Ableton Live are nicer sounding.

Plus, I like the looping capabilities in Ableton Live. I was able to put together a nice seamless loop of a cool riff I made up without a lot of difficulity.
Old 10th June 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers
stay away from m-audio like its the plague. i think peter griffin is the quality control guy there.
lol, it depends on what you're using the M-Audio box for. Mine is just a Pro Tools M-Powered dongle and digital passthrough device so I'm not using the converters or pres (which sound quite horrible imo). For that purpose it works just fine.

My only issue is I'm having a problem with an external Firewire 800 drive.

So I ahve my M-Audio Firewire Audiophile pluggined into my 15" Powerbook's Firewire 400 port. I have a LaCie HD plugged into the Firewire 800 port.

When I use the Core Audio driver to listen to music (via iTunes or whatever) through the M-Audio and then I access the LaCie, the audio pauses stutters, snaps, crackles, pops.

Is it supposed to do this??
Old 10th June 2006
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
lol, it depends on what you're using the M-Audio box for. Mine is just a Pro Tools M-Powered dongle and digital passthrough device so I'm not using the converters or pres (which sound quite horrible imo). For that purpose it works just fine.

My only issue is I'm having a problem with an external Firewire 800 drive.

So I ahve my M-Audio Firewire Audiophile pluggined into my 15" Powerbook's Firewire 400 port. I have a LaCie HD plugged into the Firewire 800 port.

When I use the Core Audio driver to listen to music (via iTunes or whatever) through the M-Audio and then I access the LaCie, the audio pauses stutters, snaps, crackles, pops.

Is it supposed to do this??
I think you need to use USB for your external so that it doesn't interfere with the other firewire device (M-Audio). I might be wrong, but that's what I do for no interuptions.
Old 11th June 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 

i am quite happy with my fw1814 and mpowered + production toolkit. i am using my digital board for adda. i have not checked out the built in pres yet. i would imagine they are not so good. if running two of these devices is supported in the future i will pick up another one so i can utilize 16 channels of adat. i find it to be quite competive with my hd2 accel that i sold recently. i paid $1300 for the whole kit.
Old 12th June 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers
stay away from m-audio like its the plague. i think peter griffin is the quality control guy there.
M Audio is the ****!
Old 15th June 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
deuc647's Avatar
I thought m audio was the **** till i got a rosetta and noticed the width and depth i was missin, damn i will never go back.
Old 15th June 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
tengu's Avatar
Do either LE or M powered have Plugin Delay Compensation?
Old 15th June 2006
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
JohnNy C's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey
i need to get the smallest version of PT that runs DigiTranslator - so for me, i need the least-costly thing, i know i'll need some kind of hardware just to run the program, basically it's going to be an expensive Digi-dongle. is M-Powered the best option?
The original MBox would probably be your best option at a used going rate of $220. That is with software, then just upgrade to PT7 if you need to (dependent on which OS your running.) That is probably your cheapest way to get into ProTools.
Old 15th June 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNy C
The original MBox would probably be your best option at a used going rate of $220. That is with software, then just upgrade to PT7 if you need to (dependent on which OS your running.) That is probably your cheapest way to get into ProTools.
Mbox only supports up to 48 khz though.
Old 15th June 2006
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
JohnNy C's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommylicious
Mbox only supports up to 48 khz though.
Oops, I didn't read the entire thread. From that one post he wanted to just get into ProTools. I didn't see the post with the Khz he was going after. In that case, you are going to have to step it up to one of the M-Audio Boxes and M-Powered or to the 002r. But using the 002r as just a PT dongle would be such a waste.
Old 15th June 2006
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

m-audio projectmix and mpowered have been working more than fine untill now for me! (peter griffin must have not been working there yet when they shipped mine)

I'm also waiting to try it with the ensemble since i've been told you can use it as a standalone coverter with the projectmix via adat...
Old 15th June 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNy C
Oops, I didn't read the entire thread. From that one post he wanted to just get into ProTools. I didn't see the post with the Khz he was going after.
well, he didn't mention any Khz i think.. but from my experience i've seen it can become a big pain if you're not compatble with other sample rates. I mean if you're working on projects other than your own etc.
Old 15th June 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 

The 1814 firewire interface and projectmix has wordclock, that should be interesting if you are about to use a 3rd party adat converter.
Old 15th June 2006
  #21
Gear Addict
 
mhartman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu
Do either LE or M powered have Plugin Delay Compensation?
Not unless you count doing it manually. A critical ommission in my opinion.
Old 15th June 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNy C
The original MBox would probably be your best option at a used going rate of $220. That is with software, then just upgrade to PT7 if you need to (dependent on which OS your running.) That is probably your cheapest way to get into ProTools.
guitar center is damn near giving them away for $100.
Old 15th June 2006
  #23
Lives for gear
 
ersheff's Avatar
 

xabiton,
Where have you seen this $100 deal on the old school Mbox? Online anywhere or just in GC store? I'd love to get my hands on one of those...
Old 15th June 2006
  #24
Gear Nut
 
Diskordia's Avatar
 

yes..were is this GC deal? thats a steal!
Old 15th June 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Gc has it on the original at least here
Old 19th June 2006
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
JohnNy C's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommylicious
well, he didn't mention any Khz i think.. but from my experience i've seen it can become a big pain if you're not compatble with other sample rates. I mean if you're working on projects other than your own etc.
Agreed, but if he really doesn't need it, he would be able to save at the very least $700. The used 002 going rate is pretty damn cheap now too. That is a great option. I use to own one a loved it.
Old 12th July 2006
  #27
Gear Head
 

Can M-Powered open PT LE Sessions?

I may switch from the Digi 002 to something else. Problem is I have a wealth of work in Pro Tools sessions. If I switch to M-Powered can I do anything to retain my LE work?
Old 12th July 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrochips
I may switch from the Digi 002 to something else. Problem is I have a wealth of work in Pro Tools sessions. If I switch to M-Powered can I do anything to retain my LE work?
it will open in both platforms but why switch?
Old 12th July 2006
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu
Do either LE or M powered have Plugin Delay Compensation?
Nah - Protools is for suckers. You don't seriously want to multitrack and use plugins do you?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump