The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on upgrading DAW and computer
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Advice on upgrading DAW and computer

Alright, my pops is currently running a studio on the side. He really dislikes his job, and I'm going to see what I can do about getting him to try and grow his studio. He's currently using a dual 533mhz G4 running Jaguar with Nuendo 2.0 and I believe some sort of older Steinberg ADAT PCI card that's beng fed by his 02R96. He also uses a RADAR and usually tracks most of the things to that and then uses plug-ins and mixes down in Nuendo. I'm wondering what the best way to take a step up might be. He's happy with how everything sounds (has some outboard gear too), however is hitting the ceiling on the G4. I think it has 1GB of RAM.
I'm wondering what the best step up would be. Perhaps leave everything the way it is and stick more RAM and a dual 1+ghz ZIF upgrade in the G4? Get a dual 2.0 G5 with my educational discount (college student) and put an upgraded ADAT PCI card like one of the RME Hammerfalls in there? Should we wait for the last of the Intel transition and get one of the Intel Powermacs? The way I look at it, if he's going to get anything other than a G4, he's going to have to get new software, too. Perhaps Logic and Pro Tools is the best route. I don't think he'll want to go for a PC because we've had nothing but macs in the house for several years, but who knows?
I'm just looking for advice on this because I'm only really familiar with the Low End stuff i.e. Firepod on an imac G5. Any words of wisdom will be appreciated. I guess I'm mostly wondering if anyone has just tried maxing out a G4 like I mentioned above and found keeping things the way they were to be the best solution. Thanks.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Id like 2 step up to the Radar. Maybe upgrade Nuendo to 2.2x and call it a day. Seems like a nice set up. If he needs 2 run more plugs maybe a newer computer would be nice. I always hated the G4. Hes probably a mac guy, so he will probably get a new mac. If he wants 2 get any PCI cards he wont be able to use the mac/intel that is out currently without pci slots.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I also meant to ask if a 002 clocked with everything else and getting ADAT and analog ins from the 02R96 is respectable. I don't know what he's using as a clock source right now, but I can tell you it ain't a Big Ben...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search