The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Protools on Macbook is FAST FAST FAST
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thumbs up Protools on Macbook is FAST FAST FAST

I cannot believe how fast PT on a Macbook (Dual Core 2 Ghz with 2 GB a RAM )is ...

63 voices ( About 42 tracks) 18,000 edits playing on Level 2!!!!
No Consolidation needed on the edits!
Sessions launch so fast
And you can run more plug-ins on it too, compared to a Powerbook G4!
Too bad Auto tune, Pitch N Time and a bunch of others won't work on it!
But you can do basic editing without a hitch!
Old 6th June 2006
Sounds great!

I'm looking at swapping my current setup for a Mac laptop with ProTools as I'm mainly recording in studios but editing at home.

Is that a Macbook not a Macbook Pro?

Also, I'm interested to find out what interface you're using and what bit depth/rate you use.

Thanks!

David
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

24 Bit 44.1 on a MBox 2 - Macbook (Not a Pro)
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

the intel port of LE is indeed fast.

my macbook pro (2ghz dual core as well) doesn't even crack 40% CPU.
running 160 plug-ins (32 tracks, each with mono BF76, Digirack Eq3 7band, Limiter, Delay, Gate)
24bit, 44.1khz, Digi 002 Rack. 512 samples.

i love it.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Nut

how does the macbook compare to the midrange G5s? the above stats are very impressive...

it would be cool to have alll the mixing power you need in a laptop. mixing on my powerbook can be pretty depressing these days
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskordia
it would be cool to have alll the mixing power you need in a laptop. mixing on my powerbook can be pretty depressing these days
I've been using my 1k laptop for mixing the last year and a half. heh
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskordia
how does the macbook compare to the midrange G5s? the above stats are very impressive...

theres tons of benchmarks tests around the web. basically a macintel is as powerfull as a powermac g5 dual 2.0 and even more so. its based on running tons of instances of the same plugin like reverbs w long tails etc. also rendering time in final cut pro.

damn i have a g5!!!
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Now imagine a Dual Dual Core PCIe - I am thinking my days of my 7 card system are coming to a close ...
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
Now imagine a Dual Dual Core PCIe - I am thinking my days of my 7 card system are coimg to a close ...
And with a Duende and/or Focusrite liquid mix.
For sure no need for ANY cards at all.
And way more portable too.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
And with a Duende and/or Focusrite liquid mix.
For sure no need for ANY cards at all.
And way more portable too.
No cards??? 192 tracks/ADC/160 channels of I/O in LE maybe a bit down the road.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

thumbsup logic on a macintel mixing tons tons of track, maybe while drinkin a mocafrapulatte at starbucks or on a plane trip. too bad PT LE only allows upto (46 track i think) certain amount of tracks. maybe with one of the toolkits upgrade it can go up to
96 tracks.

bye bye HD.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly.

I don't really see Avid letting that particular "cat" outta the bag anytime soon.

Glad to hear the port is fast. Would be cool for offline editing with a M-Audio Transit...

Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

hey guys, those of you having a macintel laptop, can you test how long can it go in terms of latency?
I mean, what's the smallest buffer it tolerates without going bezzz, in a session with a reasonable bunch of tracks.

I'm mostly interested in such a test to find out how useful they are as a (remote) tracking device, WITH software monitoring enabled

thx in advance
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman
I've been using my 1k laptop for mixing the last year and a half. heh
Now mac users will be able to do that, too. heh
FINALLY...
You know, I bought my imac G5 literally DAYS before the Intel announcement. Had I known about the switch, I could have probably tolerated working on my B&W G3 (perhaps upgrading it with a G4 ZIF card) for another year and snagged one of these macbooks now... Oh well. Live and learn.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Nut

and I conveniently am selling the 1.83's new in box for a now lowered $1600. yeehaw!
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Nut

For the record, I am running PT LE 7.1.1 on my intel iMac... I have been beta testing it for some time now, and I love it! The only real dilemma is that I have to use Waves on an old G4... the intel can handle all the plugs, but most of them aren't ready yet!

Anyhow, I am beta testing for Pitch 'n Time Pro and Pitch 'n Time LE, both of which have no problems that I can see. Changing tempo and pitch up to 800% all in a few seconds! Good Stuff... I am dying waiting for Waves though, PT was a free update, Reason was a free update, I'd be willing to bet that Waves waits for the new WUP quarter and charges a healthy $300 any takers?

-Roy
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Nut

32 tracks (or damn close) at 96k on a dual 2.16... with lots of edits and a few verbs and 10 or so compressors.

CPU reading at 40 to 50%.

With all this processing power, my "editing" machine now has some serious plug-in processing capabilities. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I don't personally own many plugs.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
I cannot believe how fast PT on a Macbook (Dual Core 2 Ghz with 2 GB a RAM )is ...

Sessions launch so fast

Do you find the screen size 13" to small for serious audio editing?

Which softsynths have u used succesfully? I'm still kinda skeptical cuz this has not been Digi Approved.......only the Macbook Pro's have.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

hey, can you set the buffer to its smallest setting -64samples, when you do not notice latency anymore- and report back on how far in terms of tracks and plugs the macintels go? thx
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

1280 X 800 Wide Screen Great for editing.

I have not used any soiftsyths it is just and editor for now AFIK only Hybrid & Xpand work for now.

Smallest Latency setting 256 Samples (I think that's what any LE system will do ???)

It has the same processor as a Macbook Pro So I can't see why Digi will not qualify it. It's only been out for a month so it will take some time to get the official seal of approval.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Smallest Latency setting 256 Samples (I think that's what any LE system will do ???)
My LE system records 12 tracks with plugins at 64 samples. Probably more, but I haven't tried it. Congrats on the Macbook, they look pretty cool!
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
My LE system records 12 tracks with plugins at 64 samples. Probably more, but I haven't tried it. Congrats on the Macbook, they look pretty cool!

Wow, that's pretty good, could u please post your computer system specs?

I'm curious!
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Sure! The specs for that system are:

A8V motherboard (not deluxe or anything, just the regular one)
AMD x2 4400+ processor
2 GB Corsair XMS (2x1024)
Matrox G550 AGP video card
Pyro 64 PCI firewire card (from Digi's recommended list)
Enermax 450W power supply

That's about it. Running it on XP Pro SP2. I was running 2 UAD-1 cards at one point (couldn't run 3,) but it proved to be a little unstable.

Shouldn't be an issue with my new quad, tho...
Old 3rd June 2008
Here for the gear

Macbook with Pro tools

I was using a PC to run protools and I thought that a macbook would be better, so I bought a macbook with 80 Gb and I'm using my lacie hardrive to save all the files. But I cannot play one full song and the mac stops saying that it is too much information to be processed and tells me to change the H/W for a higher number. Is there any configuration that I'm missing ?

Thanks Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post

Sessions launch so fast
Old 3rd June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you had to use 160 i/o´s ?
Old 3rd June 2008
Lives for gear

bought a mbox micro to get used to pt... and it sux!
i get double the plug count at half the latency, running cubase and my ensemble, this is on a first gen macbook.
must be something wrong with the mbox drivers, had some serious crashes since i installed it... going to sell it
Old 3rd June 2008
Quote:
Sounds like you need to update your plug-ins -- those work fine on Intel Macs.

Rail
Old 3rd June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you had to use 160 i/o´s ?
About an hour ago my HD system has dedicated I/O for all my outboard (No Patchbay needed)

Rail this thread is from 2006 I believe at that time PnT and A.tune were not Intel of course they are now.
Old 4th June 2008
Quote:
Rail this thread is from 2006 I believe at that time PnT and A.tune were not Intel of course they are now.
Crikey - sorry, didn't even look at the date.

Cheers,

Rail
Old 4th June 2008
I had very little experience with a M-box on my macbook, and I must say it was not good experience.
I'm curious about what PT and OS version are you guys using.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search