The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hyperthreading important on Intel Dual Core? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hyperthreading important on Intel Dual Core?

I can get a dual core Intel 3.6 without hypertheading for about $500 (D960)

I can get a dual core Intel 3.7 WITH hyperthreading for about $1000. (D965 extreme)

Is the hyperthreading worth it?

Any comments?
THANKS.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Not sure about the new dual cores but back when single core was the norm you saw like a 5 % increase in power with HT. Plus prices rise exponetially to speed.
So i'd say it isn't worth it.

I am not 100 % sure but i think you'll pay a hefty price for very little gain.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Hyperthreading has to be turned off with 1/2 or more of the audio programs so dont waste your money.

Scott
ADK
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Nut

personally i find cubase and logic perform far better with hyperthreading turned off...
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

however i do have to say
the 955 and 965 are 1066 FSB. the 955 was the first Intel dual core to impress me.

it gave the AMDFX 60 a run for the money.
so the only point to buying the 955/965 is the increased fsb and increased cache.

what ever you do make sure you get a mobo that will accept conroe later
975 chipset. if you insist on Intel, and at this point its not a bad idea.

Scott
ADK
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Cool ht

hiperthreading adds a lot more than a few percent of processing on a dual channel machine. plus it hepls a lot in programs that offer support for it (i.e. sonar, espacially when using rewire ) ... i think it's a bit ridiculous that programs such as PT m-powered, require you to disable HT... since i also use other programs that use it. i'd rather disable the program than HT. i paid for it i want to use it

i'd say, go for the big processor... and all the best quality ram you can get ...and preferrably an intel motherboard. you'll like it... that's a stable configuration for a studio.
Old 26th September 2006
One thing I can pretty well guarantee: You ain't gonna get twice the performance out of the HT model...

Scott seems to know a LOT about processors and hardware and his company seems to be well respected for its high performance machines.

I'm thinkin' I'd lean toward his way of thinking.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

Absolutely not worth it. All Hyperthreading is is a gimmick to force in hardware what good code does naturally. Funny enough, if you don't have good code running against it, you lose performance. I'm a developer and have task manager open all the time. I just love sitting there looking at my box max out at 50%.

Pretty much best case speed improvements with a dual cpu is 30%. Now, a HT 3 ghz that is normally "split" into two cpu's... good luck on outperforming a 3 ghz non-HT chip.

The only place HT tends to just work is when you have one process running and you bring up another application and have it run a process. This isn't the way you work in audio, so you can only hope that the DAW vendor decided to waste a bunch of time to, best case, maybe, get next year's hardware performance this year. As a tradeoff, the software becomes much more complex, and much more open to bugs.
Old 26th September 2006
Lives for gear

First of all, you can get the D960 3.6 gig processor for closer to $300 than $500.

http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/992023-1.htm

So there is about a $700 difference to get the hyperthreading.

I have the D960 and it is great. I overclock to about 4.2 with no problem.

I get low latency, plenty of tracks and I record at 88k and 96k.

So I cannot justify the cost of the 965.

By the way, when you overclock, I do not believe you can run the ram at the 1066 anyway.
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Why bother with a D900 series CPU when Core 2 Duo is available?

Regards,
Old 26th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICA View Post
Why bother with a D900 series CPU when Core 2 Duo is available?

Regards,
The original question was posted in June. Sooooo much has changed since then! :D
Old 26th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonian View Post
personally i find cubase and logic perform far better with hyperthreading turned off...
Actually, my Cubase SX 3 perform about 20% better with Hyperthreading turned on, but i have to enable multi-processor capability on Cubase.
Old 27th September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Groove View Post
The original question was posted in June. Sooooo much has changed since then! :D

Yeah, I hope he waited....

-tINY

Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear

As stated above Hyperthreading is not worth much imo. A lot of audio apps had major issues when it came out and it doesnt really help much. Now dual core on the other hand helps tremendous amount.
Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear

Question 20 -30%

Actually on sonar just enabling multiprocessor support in a P42.8 HT prescott gave me abouty 20-30% increase in power... it's not double, but it can make a big difference... i feel a big difference when running sonar with reason on rewire mode.

now i hear all core duo 2 have ht built in to them... or is this really off?
Old 28th September 2006

Since HT on a dual core looks like 4 processors and since they share the same Front Side Bus - I wouldn't expect a big performance gain.

-tINY

Old 28th September 2006
Hyperthreading is just lot of b......tdfegad
Old 29th September 2006

Actually, it's not bu115hit, it speeds up a lot of things. Especially when you are runnign a word proceessor, web surfer, and email all at once.

It doesn't help most music production programs that much. Unless you are playing games while your clients put down tracks......

-tINY

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search