things up.

Is it Jitter?

Time for a new AD/DA!

Thanks,
Jacob
Attached Files

track_Fuzz.wav (1.23 MB, 280 views)

Old 5th June 2006
You've definitely got a problem. I'm thinking that you're talking about the record-static-like ticking in between the counts, yeah?

It's not a problem endemic to a properly functioning 828 (at least not a mkII, which I have)... or, for that matter, any properly functioning interface. (Well, duh, hunh? heh )

I'm assuming that the MOTU is set to run off its own internal clock and has no other digital audio interfaces chained into it, yeah? Seems to me that I've heard sounds not unlike this when there were unresolved clock issues.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for replying!
Yeah, I am referring to the static that the sound (Counts) disappears into.
The Motu is the only digital piece (besides the computer).
The clock is set to Motu.
There's static on the Monitor Pot as well. (So I don't use that).
It's not under Warranty anymore.
Maybe this is one for Black Lion?
Then again, i'd really rather just invest in a doesn't Interface!
Any other ideas?
Old 5th June 2006
try other cables first. had exactly the same problem yesterday when I wuz tracking drums... one roommic had a noise Issue (AKG 451) and I replaced the cables.. ==> wuz ok then.

cheers George
Old 5th June 2006
I kept thinking I'd heard that precise type of sound before so I kept racking my brain.

And I finally remembered where... but it ended up being a bit of an open end...

It wasn't a digital device at all.

It was a "pro" Superscope "broadcast quality" battery-powered over the shoulder cassette recorder, circa 1980 - and it would develop a sound just like that, over and over. I took it into the shop 3 or 4 times before I sidelined the thing. (It was a pretty interesting deck -- it was pretty much the only cassette deck I've seen that had separate record and repro heads [in the same itty bitty head shell]... I used to use it for very fast slapback echo [I mentioned they were jammed in tight, yeah?]... the static sound... well... my reverb was the spring verb from my guitar amp. Nuff said, yeah?)

When they fixed it, seems like they used to itemize it as ground strap adjustment... which I assume was the motor ground strap (which, could, after all, account for a quasi-rhythic static/ticking similar to what you have.)

Obviously, there's no motor in your 828.

BUT there are probably motors hooked up to things that are hooked electrically (signal, USB or FW data cable, whatever) to your 828.

But, really, a clock issue could cause a quasi-rhythmic ticking/static, as well.

Bottom line... I'm quasi-stumped. Make that close to completely.

But maybe this post will serve as a bump and someone with an actual clue will see this and jump in to help... heh
Old 5th June 2006
Quote:
But maybe this post will serve as a bump and someone with an actual clue will see this and jump in to help...
moderator is watching you blue1

you should be

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search