The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how do you keep the pc quiet
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonyme View Post
About Antec: I read in buyer's comments about the P182 that the fans were not that silent. I am looking into building a PC and was tending to this one. Does anyone have it and can comment on it?

And, off topic: Is there any reason not to use AMD instead of Intel for an audio PC? I am quite new to PCs, always been on Macs…

I have a P182 and it's very very quiet. Some people do replace the case fans to get more reduction in db but the stock case fans also have speed switches. I think these cases are excellent

Lots of good info here silentpcreview.com | Index
Old 19th September 2008
Gear Nut

Thanks. I found the case on silentpcreview, but I did not see the forum.

I guess my question was a little stupid, though, cause if it is too loud for some, it will probably be for me, too. I find the Samsung HD I put in my iBook too loud and it was supposed to be silent…

Then again I was just told the fans fo the CPU and the PSU might be enough. Don't wanna play with my PC's „life“, though.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

antec sonata III. . . done
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

I went all out on the ISObox thing here and haven't even been using them. :(

I had (have) two giant shielded ones with a remote panel for all the switches and lights. Dead quiet... big PITA. heh

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Jidis/empty.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Jidis/fan.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...switcher-1.jpg

As mentioned by a few already, the case and vents were the loudest thing about the machines, so I took a "caseless" approach and hung the motherboard on a plate thing on the wall inside the cab, but I probably could have gone with a short ATX tower frame inside the cabinet with all its side panels removed. The PS and drives sat on foam isolated brackets inside the box. I ran 80mm fans at regular speed, but they were iso mounted and there was a port system to cut the sound anyway. I auditioned a bunch and picked the quiet ones, but if you hold most of them in your hand while they run, you can barely tell they're on. Having them coupled to big resonant plates (the case) and sucking air through small slits and holes makes a lot of the noise. You can also do a 5v/12v connection to those 12v DC fans (rather than gnd/12v) which runs them at 7v, but some may refuse to start and I can't guarantee it's good for them or the supply. I've been running a big noisy front fan in a rackmount ATX case like that here for a while now and it hasn't killed anything (yet).

Take Care
Old 20th September 2008
Lives for gear

Mobile-CPUs for your desktop computer.

That`s what makes iMac and Mac mini so silent.

As a CPU cooler I got a big Thermalright in my PC and Papst-fans.

The PC tower`s interior is padded with foam.

In Germany this is a good address:
Online-Shop für CPU-Kühler, Watercooling, Lüfter, Gehäuse, Netzteile, Modding- und Gaming Equipment - PC-Cooling.de
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

I made a 3/4 inch thick plywood box about 6 inches wider and longer and 4 inch taller than my pc, and lined it with owens corning 703 1&quot; f-glass. It has a hatch in the front with a weather strip seal that I open when noise is not critical (for extra cooling) and to load cd's, the back is open and I keep it about 5 inches out from the sonex on the wall. It's real quiet. I have used it for almost a year with no heat issues. Now I have a cp cooler like those gamers use so It will even be better as far as heat. We have done many vocal o-dubs in the same room with no issues.</p>
Old 21st September 2008
Gear Maniac

[quote=Anonyme;3502280]About Antec: I read in buyer's comments about the P182 that the fans were not that silent. I am looking into building a PC and was tending to this one. Does anyone have it and can comment on it? /quote]

i found the stock antec fans that came with the p-182 to be a complete joke in terms of noise. the standard p-182 is not a quiet box.

the p-182 can be made a v. low noise machine but not without swapping out the chasis fans (most users going quiet leave the top out completely) and the stock intel cpu cooler - another joke both in terms of noise and cooling.

IME unless you can afford something like the top end zalman box(close to $900) than none of the cases are really quiet unless you replace the fans.

spek
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
About Antec: I read in buyer's comments about the P182 that the fans were not that silent. I am looking into building a PC and was tending to this one. Does anyone have it and can comment on it? /quote]

i found the stock antec fans that came with the p-182 to be a complete joke in terms of noise. the standard p-182 is not a quiet box.

the p-182 can be made a v. low noise machine but not without swapping out the chasis fans (most users going quiet leave the top out completely) and the stock intel cpu cooler - another joke both in terms of noise and cooling.

IME unless you can afford something like the top end zalman box(close to $900) than none of the cases are really quiet unless you replace the fans.

spek
P-182 since 3 weeks
use low on my fans(low-mid-high fan speed controller on the back)
i dont hear the fans until i dont knee down to hear if they are on
wont change them for now

installed my UAD-1 and de-installed it because it heats up too much
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
P-182 since 3 weeks
use low on my fans(low-mid-high fan speed controller on the back)
i dont hear the fans until i dont knee down to hear if they are on
wont change them for now

installed my UAD-1 and de-installed it because it heats up too much
That's odd I had 3 UAD cards in my case at one time with no problems
Old 21st September 2008
ddp
Gear Addict

Put it in the closet but then you will need to vent the closet.
With the door closed it will get very hot in there. I have a fan that vents the heat from the computer into the attic. You will also need a hole in the wall to run cables in and out.
Old 21st September 2008
Lives for gear

All fans in my desktop PC are 120mm ones, all are temp-controlled and running very slow on low load/temps. Additionally I replaced the 120mm inside the PSU with a slower running one. The CPU is cooled by a big ass tower-cooler that also helps to maintain a good airflow to the upper rear of the chassis.

Use this on Windows PC to have fanspeed controlled by software depending on temps. You can customize temps for low running and high running fanspeeds as much as a critical temp where the fan will run at 100%. Your board has to support controllable fanspeeds though.

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

In order to keep my harddrives quiet I placed them on foam and did not screw them to the chassis in order to keep the chassis from resonating the HD's vibrations. When idle/under low to medium load the HD can still be heard on random access, but not its motor-spinning. I'm one of those guys who actually even prefer hearing the HD do its work as long as the motor keeps quiet.

This is the chassis I'm using. I removed the front aluminium shield for aestetic reasons and closed all side openings in order to improve airflow from lower front to upper rear.

PCI Case Germany GmbH

Except for the HD access the PC noise is below ambience in my rather quiet room. Heck, that damn TFT display's background light is humming louder when I lower the brightness.
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's odd I had 3 UAD cards in my case at one time with no problems
my fans run at the lowest speed without the UAD-1
just wonder how you could run the fans at a low speed with 3 UAD cards
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
my fans run at the lowest speed without the UAD-1
just wonder how you could run the fans at a low speed with 3 UAD cards
Did your UAD's stop working or was the temp in your case high?
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did your UAD's stop working or was the temp in your case high
UAD was working fine but the temp got higher
thanks
Old 22nd September 2008
Lives for gear

Heatsink / Active cooling for UAD

Someone told me that you can use the Zalman VGA cooler for CPU,

Id assume there would also be a way to mount it to the UAD cards

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search