The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
001 or MBox
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

001 or MBox

I'm going to get a system for my home, and I'm either going to get a 001 or an MBox. I'm leaning towards the 001. What will I be missing out on with a 001 (besides higher sample rates and being able to only run 6.4 (or is it 6.7))?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

what are you needs? i like the fw1814 because it has word clock connection and adat. depends on what you need.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

just editing, overdubs, and basic mixing.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

i would spend a few hundred extra and get a firewire unit. this enables you to use the harware with future computers. pci may not be around in a few years. i also would not recommend buying hardware that does not allow for any software updates. you'd be stuck from the jump. believe me with digi they are gonna stick it to you sooner or later, might as well try and make it later. i like the production toolkit add on sftware. it make the cheap pt software fairly pro. my recommendation is that you don't get sucked into the proprietary plug-in thing to far. one option is to buy au plug-ins and use the au to rtas wrapper. if you switch away from pt you will still have your au plugs.
Old 5th June 2006
Here for the gear

Well if youre asking personal recommendations, I'd say the Mbox.

But, that doesnt mean its right.

depends whether or not you feel cooler sticking something in a rack heh

Im not sure the upgrading limitations that the 001 will offer you, but I've never seen the legacy Mbox not let someone upgrade... I could be totally wrong though.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

the 001 will let you go to version 6.4 only. you are not missing out on sample rates with either one because they both only do 48k max (even the mbox 2 only does 48k). i find the 001 to be more stable (PCI). I run a 001 with Nuendo tho. if you need inputs its a no-brainer to get an 001 if you need portability..mbox is the obvious choice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search