The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
multi mono mix buss compression
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

multi mono mix buss compression

Hi guys.

I love the effect of multi mono tape simulation on the mix buss, in PT, but im wondering what you guys do about compression on the mix buss.

Is it a good idea to use multi mono on the mix buss also?

I love rcomp on the mix buss and sonalksis.

Is there any downfalls with mm on the mix buss?

Thanks

Cheers
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've heard people recommend using multi-mono whenever possible when mixing ITB to help add 'depth'.

In my experience it really depends on the plug-in if there is any noticable difference or not.

I have always used rencomp in stereo as I couldn't tell the difference and it's fairly CPU hungry.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

is rencomp standart multi mono? or can you set it that way?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry..but I think you guys are off the reservation. Im embarrassed
to even have to explain why you must use stereo compression
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

We bow down to your superiority.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute
Sorry..but I think you guys are off the reservation. Im embarrassed
to even have to explain why you must use stereo compression

I believe Pingu was referring to using multi-mono (as in the same settings on each channel) as apposed to stereo.

But if there is something else I'm missing, please take the time to minister to us undeserving fools. We will forever be in your service...
Old 6th June 2006
also called Dual-Mono
like on the Smart C2 Mix Buss Compressor, Stereo is an option- one i rarely opt for because i like the added width(depth?) DM gives the stereo image...
nothing embarrassing about it really.
OK, leaving both channels right up the middle would be kind of embarrassing!
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Well there are different types of stereo linking.

There's the type where just the detection circuitry (algorithm) is ganged (joined) for each channel, so a peak in one or the other triggers both, but the controls are seperate, so each channel reacts differently to the trigger.

Then there's control-ganging, where the detectors are left independent, and just the controls are mirrored (though honestly I can't think of any that work this way)

I suppose you could have both concurrently, too.

The idea of linking the detectors is that you wouldn't want one channel to experience an errant trigger that the other channel doesn't see, resulting in a shift in your stereo image due to one side being sucked down. Though, imo and in my practice, unless you're doing extreme panning/dynamics, the stereo image shift is not detrimental using unlinked detectors.

Generally, I go with unlinked (multi-mono, if you will) because I like what it does to the image. If the soundstage shift bothers me (hasn't yet), I wouldn't use it. Nice thing is, it's usually pretty easy to A/B. Do that.
Old 19th February 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
Well there are different types of stereo linking.

There's the type where just the detection circuitry (algorithm) is ganged (joined) for each channel, so a peak in one or the other triggers both, but the controls are seperate, so each channel reacts differently to the trigger.

Generally, I go with unlinked (multi-mono, if you will) because I like what it does to the image. If the soundstage shift bothers me (hasn't yet), I wouldn't use it. Nice thing is, it's usually pretty easy to A/B. Do that.
I agree with this, also if you are not using multi (dual mono) the middle can get very funky and even the effects can be lesson as well, stereo compression is not the the way if you want a wide field and a true mix. I have never got a mix that i liked using stereo ganged on the buss, for me its dual mono.
Old 29th October 2008
Here for the gear

API 2500 Stereo buss comp

the API 2500 buss compressor rules! There are various stereo link options. You can link "dual mono" or even do a percentage up to 100% linked. You can also choose to have it ignore low frequencies or high frequencies from triggering compression on both sides. This is useful if you pan the floor tom off of center. It is also nifty to preserve an open high end. I like it on drums, and use it for mastering as well.

Old 27th September 2010
Gear Nut

The api2500 is awesome on mix bus, just a little touch of compression, and, woow ! The plug in is a toy... At the beginning, I found it cool, but in fact, NO !!! Not usable on mix bus.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search