The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
001, PT 6.4, No SPDIF?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Nut

001, PT 6.4, No SPDIF?

At work we just acquired a used 001 from someone for some VO work (we're "upgrading" from our old 882 system in our small room). We also got Pro Tools LE 6.4 out of the deal, and it works alright except for one peculiar thing I haven't seen before.

We're unable to get RCA SPDIF in. We can get it out, but not in. We've checked our I/O setups, and it's correct. So we checked Hardware Setups. I figured we could just set the Ch 1-2 option to SPDIF instead of Analog and it would leap right over...except we don't even have the option. That part of the window isn't there. There's not even a space for it.

So we tried to do it manually, beginning by changing the clock source to the DAT we want to record from (or rather through), but the only options that show up are "Internal" and "Optical".

Thing is, we have our DAT machine plugged in and turned in, and we are running a SPDIF cable (that worked just fine on the 882 system) from the RCA SPDIF of the DAT to the RCA SPDIF on the 001 breakout box, but we have no optical devices connected to either the ADAT optical or the TOSLINK connections on the card.

I'm sure I've left out some details (we already tried throwing away all the Digi Preferences we could find, but no help), and we did set our SPDIF option in Hardware Setups to "Other" (it's a Panasonic DAT machine.) It doesn't work. It's as if PT things we only have an optical SPDIF device connected (which we don't). We're able to function here because we can skip the DAT and go Analog, but because of our workflow and the client's needs we'd rather not.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, we're able to get SPDIF back *out* to the DAT just fine. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas? Could we just have a band SPDIF in? (Note: already checked all the other usual culprits, btw...different cables, different DAT machine, etc...problem definitely seems to be with PT Hardware or Software.)

Thanks in advance, anyone who has any ideas!

-Zen
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

I'm not familiar with the digi 001, but keep in mind that the Dat machine will work bij default at 48 kHz sampling frequency. If it gets 44.1 at his inputs (from your protools ?) it will switch to that frequency.
On most Panasonic DAT machines there's a switch on the front panel to choose sampling frequency.

So maybe your DAT is working 48 and your protool 44.1 ?

Good Luck, Hans
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Try setting your "I/O Setup" screen to default. That will set the SPDIF channels to channels 17 and 18, where they normally are.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've got exactly the same situation as zenkonami; SP/DIF works going out to the Tascam DA30MkII DAT, but 001 won't configure to recognize SP/DIF coming from the DAT. Both are set to 44.1 so that's not the problem. VERY FRUSTRATING!
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Nut

Solution

We did try to set the I/O to default, but to no avail. So after playing around with every ridiculous configuration we could come up with, we finally set Hardware Setups to look for 8 channels of ADAT (which we don't have), and then tried setting the I/O to default again. Thanks to sdelsolray's response, we realized that we weren't even *seeing* 17 and 18 until we did that. That (counterintuitively, I might add) did the trick! Thanks for responses, all.

-Zen
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami
We did try to set the I/O to default, but to no avail. So after playing around with every ridiculous configuration we could come up with, we finally set Hardware Setups to look for 8 channels of ADAT (which we don't have), and then tried setting the I/O to default again. Thanks to sdelsolray's response, we realized that we weren't even *seeing* 17 and 18 until we did that. That (counterintuitively, I might add) did the trick! Thanks for responses, all.

-Zen
Don't run off yet!!

I tried that and got 17 and 18 to appear, but I'm not still able to record any SP/DIF in. What were your other Hardware settings? Internal, Optical, ADAT, SP/DIF, SP/DIF Mirrored, Tascam, Other?

It keeps coming up with "No active assignments for ins or outs" kind of message.
I know it's something stupid I'm doing (and I'm sure I'll love it once I get it configured right), but this computer stuff makes me crazy every time I add new software.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

It works!!
Still not sure what I did or why it's working, but it's working!! Thanks to everybody for pointing me in the right direction.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search