The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Macbook or Macbook pro?
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

Question Macbook or Macbook pro?

With PT for intels out I'm about to upgrade my 1,67 Powerbook.

I use the machine for all my office/web/mail tasks and with my M-Powered PT at home to do vox comping, programming etc.

I'm OK with the 13" screen in macbook, it gives me the same resolution as my 15" powerbook today.

If I buy a macbook pro it would not be a 17" because I find it to big.

Right now I would say its 70-30 in favour of macbook.

Is it something I missing or?

What would you do?
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

an old ibook would have enough power for what you need.
i think the question is if all of the softwware you need is still ported to mac intel?
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

You forget the word programming;-)

With tiger 10.4 is it just enaugh power to run 1 instance of a soft synth..
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Unless you're doing heavy video work - MACBOOK.

Love mine. It smokes the Powerbooks for performance.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Head
Another vote for the macbook pro. It's what I'm using right now. The fact I can dual boot into windows to play a couple of games now and again is damn nice too, and keep that side of things totally isolated from my soon to be portable studio. Those macbook's seem like quite the deal however, and I can honestly say this mbp get's hotter than napalm in a peasant village. I bought an elevation pad to keep airflow traveling under it. If anything, wait a few more weeks to see if there are any problems with the new macbooks before you buy one. I got a week 12 macbook pro and it didn't suffer from any of the weird noise or inverter problems like the first few revisions.
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

How about fannoise in macbook / macbook pro?

Remember my first G4 powerbook
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Got a MacBook last week, no fan noise, none.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I have also had my Macbook for a week. No noise and less hot than my powerbook. Feels very fast and snappy!
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHA
How about fannoise in macbook / macbook pro?

Remember my first G4 powerbook
I get some very quiet fan noise when playing 3d games or when transcoding my dvd collection to mp4's, but most of the time she's quiet as a lamb. Well, a dead lamb. I do get the very faint whine when it's on battery, but it hasn't bled into any audio recordings, as I checked that out right after I bought it, as it was one of the caveat's of owning these at the time.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Addict

Thank you guys

I think I'll go for a macbook.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Another vote for the MacBook.

I have one and bumped it up to 2G Ram. This puppy screams. Already playing with PT 7.1.1 m powered on it. Thing is great.
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

Do I need 2GB of RAM or will 1GB do?
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

For basic tracking and mixing 1 GB should be fine. Racking up the effects and adding VSTi might tax things a bit.

One thing to note is the Macbook video chip shares the RAM with a "minimum graphics memory usage of 80MB". So 1GB minus about 512 for OS headroom minus 80 MB (again minimum) for graphics leaves 408 MB for your applications. These are just rough estimates, but you get the idea.

I like the Macbook specs over the 15" MBP as well. The only area the MB suffers in performance is the integrated graphics chip. (Even if the performance is fine, it steals valuable RAM.) -And that the MacBookPro 15" lacks Firewire 800 is a big strike against that unit, IMO...
Old 5th June 2006
MacBook Pro 15" is your better bet.

The 13.3" MacBook uses on-board video (64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory - it grabs some of the system RAM to use as video RAM), whereas the MacBook Pro 2.16 gHz has a nice dedicated ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory video card.

If you want to have multiple windows displayed, and nice screen refresh times when you're scrolling through multi-track sessions, 64MB will choke. Plus the Pro model has DVI dual-link built in, and comes with the cables you need to go VGA. The Pro will support up to a 30" Apple Cinema display at 2500x1600 resolution, which comes in handy if you bring your session to another studio so equipped.

Also, I'd get the 120 GB hard drive (not available on the MacBook) 'cause 80 or 100 is just not enough. 120 is barely enough.

There is a great comparison chart here http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...son_chart.html

-gil
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

120GB is availble in Macbook...
Old 5th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHA
120GB is availble in Macbook...
You're right, although I think that was a recent addition to the CTO.

In looking at it again, you may be better served by the 7200 rpm 100GB drive over the 5400 rpm 100 or 120 gig, especially if you intend to run a lot of tracks simultenously with multiple instantiations of plug-ins.

-gil
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

It's generally recommended to record your media to a fast external drive. As plugs and apps load into memory, it isn't crucial to go with a fast internal drive for the OS. (I use Cubase SX 2 on a 1.25 PB with a 4200 RPM internal drive, but record audio to an external 7200 RPM drive. Works fine.)

And according to Apple specs, the graphics chip can borrow more than 64MB RAM. IMO, I don't think the integrated graphics is a deal-breaker for audio apps so long as you have ample RAM. Gaming or 3D work is another story...
Old 5th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings
It's generally recommended to record your media to a fast external drive. As plugs and apps load into memory, it isn't crucial to go with a fast internal drive for the OS.
That's open to debate. I often edit and/or mixdown on my laptop, using the internal drive. Also, the OS swaps memory back and forth to the internal HD when recording, so even with an external drive the internal drive is part of the recording chain.

Quote:
And according to Apple specs, the graphics chip can borrow more than 64MB RAM. IMO, I don't think the integrated graphics is a deal-breaker for audio apps so long as you have ample RAM
Not 256MB. it is always better to have a dedicated video card for any graphics-intensive program, and in my experience the on-board graphics tend to choke on refresh and redraw with many tracks armed and plug-ins open.

For me, the "Pro" aspects of the MacBook Pro outweigh the $400 price difference over the MacBook, although I do dig the black case. I would rather have the extra performance and screen real estate and not need it all the time, than to need it and not have it.

YMMV.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave
That's open to debate. I often edit and/or mixdown on my laptop, using the internal drive. Also, the OS swaps memory back and forth to the internal HD when recording, so even with an external drive the internal drive is part of the recording chain.
Debatable, perhaps, but common practice it is - and not just for performance reasons. But we'll leave that for another thread.... :-)

Quote:
For me, the "Pro" aspects of the MacBook Pro outweigh the $400 price difference over the MacBook, although I do dig the black case. I would rather have the extra performance and screen real estate and not need it all the time, than to need it and not have it.
There's a $900 difference between the low end MB and the low end MBPro. It all depends what you're personal needs are I guess. Personally, I wouldn't even consider it a worthy upgrade until they get Firewire 800 back on the board. But that's my preference. As you say, YMMV.
Old 7th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings
There's a $900 difference between the low end MB and the low end MBPro. It all depends what you're personal needs are I guess.
When you equip either of them with sufficient RAM and HD space, the difference is $400.

FireWire 800 will fade as eSATA bcomes more prevalent. By that time I will need another laptop anyway.

I have waited patiently for the MacBook, and I love the black case. But the lack of real video and DVI is a deal breaker for me. As far as personal needs are concerned, they only increase over time, not decrease. Plus, the more you buy now, the higher your resale value later.

As I said, for $400 I would rather have the extra features and not need them, then need them, and not have them. But then I guess it depends on how much $400 means to someone - if it is the difference between buying one and not buying one, then I could sacrifice.

Of couse, all bets are off if the customer is a smoker!! $6 a pack now in New York. If one can afford to smoke, one can afford the MacBook Pro.
Old 12th June 2006
Here for the gear

Hard drive speed

You can get either a Macbook or Macbook Pro with dual 2.0 and 2 GB ram and 100 GB hard disc space, but a 7200 rpm sata drive is unavailable on the Macbook.

The other feature differences don't have as much to do with audio so it seems the key question is how severly will a 5400 rpm drive limit you.

The price difference (between the two examples above) is between $550 (if you can't deal with a white macbook) and $750.

I personally would like to play live through kontakt player (for example) using different patches on different midi channels. Would this be affected by hard disc speed?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search