The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Options for running multiple computers
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

Options for running multiple computers

Hi everyone,

I'm going to build 2 additional computers that I want to utilize along side my main machine that runs Cubase SX 3

1 machine is for Gigastudio 3
1 machine is for VSTis

The computers are the same: P4 Intel 3.2 gig 2 gig ram Asus P4p 800 SE mboard

I've heard about VST System link and V-Stack but what are my other options?
Also heard about FX Teleport that runs via a Lan cable.

Do I need anything else?

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated, thank you.
Old 1st June 2006
Here for the gear

I found an older post about this and one person said it's best to just use one computer but a dual cpu system, I don't agree with that.
I'll be running huge samples and a power hungry VSTi and it sems tm me that 2 are better than one.

Again, any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

I don't think any of the networking apps for audio are quite up to snuff yet. The most reliable way to do it, is to get an interface for each computer and use digital audio connections (S/PDIF, ADAT) for I/O between systems. This is like treating each machine as a hardware synth or processor.

In general, you're right... two computers with single processors that are 2.5GHz will provide more power for VI's than one computer with a dual core processor running at 2.5GHz each.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Check out this thread - lots of replies

This thread had a lot of info and differing opinions by people who's tried it out. There seems to be an overall consensus about the systems being a real pain in the butt stike. But a few people said they made it work.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ST+System+link

I'm curious if any of the quad users (dual dualcore opteron) users have tried gigasampler with their rig. It sounds pretty stable. Check out my Thread "PC Benchmarks and Computers of the Future." has a link to the people who are building them. With those server style boards able to run so many drives with independant RAM and cpu's on each channel, seems ideal - and not too pricey.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I've had great results running FX teleport. Brainless setup. Works very well indeed and that's even at 96khz. No dropouts or problems.

I now use a dual core opteron system so it kind of negates the need to use Teleport. But it certainly is great for utilising an old PC for FX.

Paul
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a similar setup in my studio except that my main machine is a G5 running Pro Tools. I just go 'old school' - Midi and AES from one to the other.

Works like a charm every time.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenn
I've had great results running FX teleport. Brainless setup. Works very well indeed and that's even at 96khz. No dropouts or problems.

I now use a dual core opteron system so it kind of negates the need to use Teleport. But it certainly is great for utilising an old PC for FX.

Paul
Latency report?

How low can you go over NIC at 96Khz and 192Khz respectively?
Old 9th June 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks everyone........

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search