The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samplitude Pro X (Opinions) ?
Old 4th December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post
Check out my videos about it, it will fill in the blanks and let you know about object based editing:

TimDolbearMagix - YouTube

Introduction To Samplitude - Digital audio recording workstation - YouTube
Having used, Adobe Audition, Cakewalk Sonar x1, Pro Tools 10, Acoustica Mixcraft, Reaper, and FL studio, I've found Samplitude And Sequoia absolutely blows all of them out of the water, in terms of , User friendly control set, mixing, editing, audio engine, plugin compatibility, and mastering, would definately recommend Samplitude or Sequoia, I know I'll not look back now....
Old 4th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebsmall View Post
I'm an amateur musician and home studio hobbyist for a couple years.

I got the "standard" DAW and was overwhelmed by its complexity unable to record anything after reading several books on it and not about to pay for formal training.

In the mean time I moved on to a couple other pro DAW's settling on one that is used widely for film scoring.

Then a few weeks ago I purchased the home consumer market Samplitude Music Studio 2014. And in about 10 minutes I had a better mix than from my pro DAW's that I had spent entire days on mixing the same material. I suspect this may in part be due to my lack of mixing skills and the mastering suite in SMS 2014. But even so it was like someone had pulled cotton out of ears hearing the range and clarity of SMS 2014.

Am I'm imagining this sound improvement?

Am I going to see/hear a huge improvement upgrading to Samplitude Pro X and SPX Ste versions? I think SMS 2014 is now using the same 64 bit audio engine as Samplitude Pro X?

Is Sequoia a super set of SPX? Or is Sequoia the next step after SPX for master albums? I would like to eventually try to make some indie music videos for uploading to youtube.

Thanks.

John

Music Studio uses the Same 64bit engine as Samplitude and Sequoia. The only difference is the lack of the bridge, which I don't recommend using unless you absolutely have to. It is just better to use 64bit plugins natively.

True there are some better effects in the Pro versions and Sequoia has DDP export and VCF faders. Both have a higher track count for inputs and outputs along with in the arranger.

You can also download the free trials for 30 days off Samplitude.com if you have not already done so.

Old 28th February 2014
Here for the gear
Just thought I`d throw my two cents in on Samplitude,Probably the Best DAW I`ve Ever seen/used,I have seen most all. Originally designed /engineered,and,offered by
SEK`D, of Germany,Samplitude Will do true wonders for your audio.I am not Kidding.I started leasing,thats right,you could Lease the software,back when it was called Samp. 7 professional,and,got all the upgrades sent out when they were implemented,I`m talking new install disc`s manuals the whole shooting match,and with V-8,a dongle.I long since bought out my Lease,and use my Vers.9, every Day.I don`t have to Pay through the nose for higher track counts,or,more powerful vst`s,or,buy proprietary Hardware,Almost any Good interface will work,I have older Terratec(16 channels),and, Emu,(12 channels)interfaces,and,also utilize a Rhamsa WR-DA7 Digital Desk,they ALL work seamlessly together. Plus,the on screen work windows don`t look like toys,or,kid stuff,like Some other DAW does.Truly powerful Plug ins/Sync to whatever you want export as,.....A ShameLess Plug For Samplitude A happy User,...... holyjaguar
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Don't care for "the best", but the fastest definitely. Nothing beats it (tried every major DAW including Reaper). Add clean and tight interface, and you get the killer daw. Internal VST bridge eats everything, i don't have to care about 32/64. And yes, they are really improving it with every version (Cubase, I'm looking at you).
Old 16th July 2014
Samplitude is a great DAW with more features than many other DAW's. However I don't like that you can't adjust the mixer screen size like you can with Cubase. I find the mixer page too skinny with each channel
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

One man's hell is another man's heaven, that's for sure. But Samplitude has more important problems for now. As a side effect of active development they're introduced a nasty latency compensation bug. When inserting a plugin with good deal of latency, everything goes out of sync. Samplitude users, beware. Make sure latency compensation reported in the status bar equals to highest individual plugin latency (in fx settings). I'm sure this will be fixed soon.
Old 19th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_mod View Post
One man's hell is another man's heaven, that's for sure. But Samplitude has more important problems for now. As a side effect of active development they're introduced a nasty latency compensation bug. When inserting a plugin with good deal of latency, everything goes out of sync. Samplitude users, beware. Make sure latency compensation reported in the status bar equals to highest individual plugin latency (in fx settings). I'm sure this will be fixed soon.

If you add a high lat plug such as a DSP based plug like UAD, you have to stop playback and restart or insert it while not playing back. Samplitude has always been like this. Not a bug, Samplitude has the BEST audio engine and if this is how its set up to accomplish such results, so be it.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

I thought it was obvious enough that this is not the case. And not only restarting playback doesn't help, but this crap goes into mixdown. The bug does not manifest itself every time and disappears when rearranging routing. Older versions (v8) isn't affected.
Old 20th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed although I use Samplitude for a final stage in mastering and sample rate/MP3 conversion, I wouldn't want to mix in it due to this very issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post

If you add a high lat plug such as a DSP based plug like UAD, you have to stop playback and restart or insert it while not playing back. Samplitude has always been like this. Not a bug, Samplitude has the BEST audio engine and if this is how its set up to accomplish such results, so be it.
I highly doubt that Samplitude has the 'BEST' audio engine - since I can throw UAD plugins on tracks during playback without a hitch when using Studio One.

I would suggest giving a Studio One and Reaper a go before making claims about which DAWs have the 'BEST' audio engine..

Not a DAW fanboy, but a DAW which doesn't offer a gapless audio engine shouldn't even be mentioned in such a discussion IMO..
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Have you emailed them about this bug? I think more feedback will get them to fix this sooner. This bug makes me paranoid.
BTW Adobe Audition which is not a proper mixing program at all and known for buggy VST support doesn't have any trouble with the same plugins.
Old 4th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where is this status bar located? I just started project last night in pro x. Everything was going nicely when all of a sudden all my needles pegged, a large aw full noise almost blew up my speakers then everything went dead. I rebooted and the project seems to be playing back - onscreen meters show activity. However, I get no signal to my converters ( radar via raydat ) so no sound playback. Bummed. Everything else seems to be as it should.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

At the bottom of the window. When starting playback you'll see total latency compensation among other info.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritworks View Post
Everything was going nicely when all of a sudden all my needles pegged, a large aw full noise almost blew up my speakers then everything went dead.
I had this experience a few days back. Kaboom, frightening. Fortunately my K&H 300D's have limiters in them plus I got a limiter on the way out to the DC. Of the three DAW's I have licenses for Samplitude has the easily the worst audio handling system. Compared to Reaper and Live, which never crash, Samplitude is pretty bad and has been getting progressively worse since I started on v10. I've just about moved operations to Reaper & Live at present because they just run and run flawlessly without any buggy nonsense.

ns
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
I had this experience a few days back. Kaboom, frightening. Fortunately my K&H 300D's have limiters in them plus I got a limiter on the way out to the DC. Of the three DAW's I have licenses for Samplitude has the easily the worst audio handling system. Compared to Reaper and Live, which never crash, Samplitude is pretty bad and has been getting progressively worse since I started on v10. I've just about moved operations to Reaper & Live at present because they just run and run flawlessly without any buggy nonsense.

ns

your post is a joke... seriously! heh

I think a lot of people here in europe are working with Samplitude (also am I) and are making great productions...
Just learn how to use it... and your gear!
By the way I work with Samplitude since 20 years and never had...Kaboom...
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Well, I really like ProX and want to get it up and working properly. I was using 11Pro previously, albeit not a lot of time into it. Only want to use it for mixdown and plugins/automation, so it doesn't matter if I set the buffers high. I just deleted and re-installed the project that "blew up", increased the buffer and things seem as they should be. Now I need to figure out how to delete my UAD 32 bit plugins so Samplitude will only see the 64 bit ones.
FWIW, it really was a frightening "kaboom", especially since nothing seemed to work afterwards. I'll have to be mindful of the procedure for adding plugins and checking their latency, etc. Mostly will just use Steven Slate and UAD.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Seems facepalm becoming a popular defensive stance. If you did not run into bugs, it doesn't mean that so everyone. I can say bashing software of my choice isn't something I particulary enjoy.
Old 5th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Seems facepalm becoming a popular defensive stance.
Yeah, pretty sad. Even sadder is when you get an employee of Magix facepalming one of his own customers on a public forum.

ns
Lives for gear

Do anybody know what relationship Magix and eMagic had a long time ago? Watching pictures of old versions of Magix software is evident that they either were the same company or had some kind of deal going. Just type say, "magix vs emagic" in Google to see what I mean...

KA
Lives for gear
Two more Samplitude users having explosions, from the Magix forum:-

"I transferred an album project from my laptop and sat down to start mixing. And then... BANG!! A really loud sustained burst of white noise came out of nowhere."

"I hit Play and the noise that came screaming out at me almost made me soil myself. It took a few days for me to stop clenching before playing any tracks."

ns
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have used Samplitude for years. For me it has been more solid than Reaper, Studio One V2 or PT 11. I think it is a great program...and gets the lions share of my work.
Old 7th November 2014
Here for the gear
When I started using SAM

Around `99,or ,2000,I bought Terratec`s EWS 88 D , Sound Card.
It came with a bundle of Software,including,SAM Project for free,only limitations were 8 track Simult. recording.All tracks with effects,etc. I liked it so much,that I researched the maker,Sek`D,And ended up Leasing Samplitude [email protected] 7. I bought out my lease at ver.9,and that is what I run now;Still Happy with it still blows away ALL other programs I have(tried),and I have a few others named here,including the one that looks like a toy, (pt).Although I have some newer 24 /192 interfaces,I still use the sound card too,along with the EWS 88 mt,synced for 16 channels.With my WR-DA7 I am good to go,Long live the
Samplitude.!!!

Last edited by holyjaguar85; 7th November 2014 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: left out a couple of words
Old 10th February 2016
Here for the gear

I've been using Magix for 10+ years going back to Magix Music Maker 7 or so. For the past year and a half I've been using Samplitude Pro-x. I've tried Pro Tools and other DAW's and I always come back to Magix. Magix Music Studio is pretty awesome too and only $100!!
Old 23rd September 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Insider look at Magix/Samplitude

Wow this thread goes as far back as 2012... just stumbled across it now. Anyway, I used to work for Magix, and was there when the whole eMagic/Magix thing happened that someone asked about a little further up.

About that: Magix as a company, when I started there in the mid-90ies, made their own accounting software, but didn't develop music applications themselves. They licensed their "Audio Studio" (intended mostly as an audio editor) from SeK'D, which was a feature reduced version of Samplitude. They also licensed something they called "MIDI Studio", which was a feature reduced version of "Evolution Sound Studio Gold II". Sound studio was basically an attempt of a Cubase clone, and did Audio Tracks as well. No plug-ins yet. This was before the advent of VST. Evolution was a MIDI keyboard manufacturer (later bought by M-Audio, and their foundation of all their early class-compliant MIDI keyboards), who developed their own bundle software. Sound Studio Gold was their DAW bundle application.

For Evolution, it wasn't a priority to drive forward the feature rich-ness of Sound Studio Gold as long as it was good enough for a bundle for their MIDI keyboards, so Magix had a hard time to figure out how to release a new version of their "Music Studio" bundle every year, if there aren't really any new features being added to the MIDI studio by Evolution. So, they looked for an alternative for their MIDI studio, and contacted a couple of DAW companies about it... this included Steinberg and Emagic, who were developing Logic before Apple bought them. Well, they decided on Emagic Logic for their licensing model, and agreed on a reduced feature set for it to be the new "Magix MIDI Studio".

I forgot what they called this version, but the new box then essentially contained something that closely resembled Logic "Silver", and a very basic version of Samplitude. And the cheapest such bundle was only $49. It was a pretty awesome deal for people who were just starting out and didn't need all the features of the full-fledged version.

Anyway, as Samplitude became more powerful in the MIDI department over the years (MIDI wasn't there in the early versions, and was pretty bad in the first few versions after they added it), they didn't need the Emagic version anymore, and turned the "Music Studio" bundle into something that only contained a smaller version of Samplitude. AFAIK, that's how it still is today. Around when that happened, the owners of SeK'D also joined the Magix board of directors... causing SeK'D to more or less disappear, other than being the Magix development team. It's actually the same team that wrote all of Magix' video applications, and silly little "rescue your VHS tapes" apps and all of that.

Besides, I think Emagic started negotiating with Apple about a purchase around that time, and decided to no longer support the PC platform. With Magix being PC only, that partnership just couldn't continue anyway. So, that's the rough history of it.

The Magix/eMagic name similarities were nothing more than a coincidence.

And to comment on what various people said about Samplitude being the best DAW in various aspects...
- IMHO, Samplitude just sounds so incredibly clear. I have not been able to get similar results from other DAWs, and still prefer to Mix in Samplitude - at least for important projects (otherwise, I'm a Logic guy, because want to stay away from Windows as my main OS). Somehow, mixdowns come out nicely transparent, where I always feel that other DAWs add some mud. I'm not sure if this was just marketing BS, but at some point Samplitude made a point out of the phase relationships being maintained during all operations (that don't intentionally mess with the phase). Maybe it's that, and other apps aren't as good about that... not sure, just a guess.
- Samplitude is very CPU efficient. That's the main point about it's Audio Engine, IMO. It's amazing how much real-time stuff can be running on a moderately equipped computer, and it doesn't even budge. Early versions were written in Assembly... so, a programming language very close to machine language, which made those more efficient than others. I think they're now on C++ like everyone else... but maybe the audio engine is being maintained in Assembly, not sure.
- Personally, I absolutely love a lot of the features and workflow of Samplitude. At some point, I even met the (back then) CEO of Digidesign and had discussions about how Pro Tools is really behind, and they should take a close look at features such as Object oriented editing in Samplitude, along with a long list of other features they didn't have yet. However, stability has always been an issue in Samplitude, IMO. If you use features that aren't particularly popular and only used by people who know that they're tucked away somewhere in a dark corner of Samplitude, you'll have a good chance that it will crash on you when you try to use it. At least that was my experience. The last version I have is Pro X, though. Not sure if they improved that since then.

...oh, and as far as the failure of marketing of Magix/Samplitude in the US... let me just say that the owners of Magix come from a different business background, and DAWs are not their priority. I think the head of development would have liked to shift priorities more towards Samplitude and Pro Audio... but didn't have the final say in this. So... more Music Maker and Ringtone Makers from Magix instead. There's apparently more money in there, since the target group is larger, and income from those channels amounts to more in total than what comes from the DAW market.

There you have it... somewhat of an insight view on the Samplitude story and quality. I'm just about to do the Mastering for a project I just finished (using Logic for tracking, though), and because of the sound quality, Samplitude will be the obvious choice for me to do this.
Old 24th September 2016
Here for the gear
I first started using DAWs around 2000 or so. A friend and I found Magix Audio Studio 6 on a clearance rack at Circuit City. Since then I've been using various versions of Magix products. The layout was always familiar and each product seemed to grow with my needs. I upgraded to Samplitude Pro X about 2 years ago and I love it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 24th September 2016
Lives for gear

I'm in the classical music production.

My first commercial release was in 1999 with Samplitude.
Since and now I use Samplitude proX on 3 dedicated computers: one in the control room and 2 for the takes.
Computers are running windows 8.1 and are not connected to internet.

Never had any problem. I love this DAW, I think it's a wonderful and powerful tool for music production.
Old 25th September 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I used samp from 7-9, and have demoed each since v10, and for me, it seems to have gotten progressively flakier, and I could never get it to be as cpu-efficient as cubase, reaper or s1v2, despite the various buffering schemes. Your mileage may vary, of course, and at this point, with CPUs being what they are, it may not even be an issue.

While I personally didn't care for the floating mixer, it is pretty nice in most other regards, and the stock plugs are exceptional. Surround support is likewise very good.

Object-oriented editing was a selling point a while back, but you can insert fx onto clips in several daws at this point. Cubase and DP have also had the automation-style "clip gain" of PT since mid-last decade (drawing automation-style curves...not to mention inline pitch correction for quite some time now). Gaining the entire clip...pretty much every daw can do these days.

If you're a hardcore midiot, you'll likely be disappointed versus cubase (but to be fair, Samp is like PT in that regard, an audio editor with midi added later, versus a mature midi sequencer like cubase, logic or dp, with audio added later). If your needs are more basic, it's pretty decent. If you rely on the arranger or chord track in Cubase, you're out of luck though.

Having to use extra video editing software (and import/export cycle) to deal with standard video work was a dealkiller for me at my dayjob many moons ago (this is how i got sold on DP). Hopefully that's changed since then.

4 point (source/destination) editing was the exclusive domain of sequoia. If that has changed, yay! Afaik, it has not.

I guess overall that sounded pretty negative, but i wasn't trying to make it come off that way. It's gonna depend on what you need day to day. Honestly, try the demo. It could totally rock your world. Copy protection is challenge/response, so no dongle...whaddya have to lose?

BTW, when MAGIX bought yellow tools, they hooked me UP with independence libs...i'd had partial libraries previously, but Magix reorganized them, and i got one helluva upgrade...for nothing. Also, i must add that their support has always been courteous, prompt, and helpful. I won't ever bitch about the company or their treatment of customers in that regard
Old 25th September 2016
I used Samp for years (almost a decade now that I think about it)..... it was always really odd. Its a lot like driving a German car, nothing really seems to work the way it seems like it should, things were just never really intuitive. In a BMW SUV you push the tailgate button down to lift up the gate, just odd. But also like a German car, if you get past the quirkiness, Samp was a great machine to drive.

Then

Samp stopped working for me almost entirely. I couldn't get it to latch to the sound card. I even tried a whole new PC (hardware and a different sound card). I worked and worked with it and just couldn't get it going.

After a week or two of absolute frustration across TWO DAWs and with no real help coming from Samp support I figured I would try Reaper. I downloaded it in under two mins, installed it in another minute and was recording a min later. Seriously, in about 5 mins I went from a week + of frustration with Samp to recording with Reaper.

I haven't opened Samp in probably 2 years, Reaper has been doing everything I ever need from a DAW. I really want to support Samp, while I used it there were lots of bugs to work through but the end result was worth it. However, the bugs only seemed to get worse and the odd layout really didn't help with my workflow.

Best of luck to all Samp users, but Reaper is just a better product for my needs.
Old 16th October 2018
Here for the gear

Question Internal math Problem?

Did anybody notice? When exporting raw tracks in samplitude and Sequoia
Resulting file has a slightly exaggerated low end . Comparing to other DAWs. ( just import the tracks, no FX, no gain changes, no pan) than mixdown.
I tried different scenarios, same results.
If that is the case, that would make those programs unacceptable for Mixing and especially Mastering .
Same tracks mixed in S1 and PT were identical ( with no audible difference)
Samplitude and Sequoia had boosted lows and overall gain. I found it weird .
Can anyone confirm it ? Maybe Kraznet had noticed this anomaly.
Old 16th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaliano View Post
Did anybody notice? When exporting raw tracks in samplitude and Sequoia
Resulting file has a slightly exaggerated low end . Comparing to other DAWs. ( just import the tracks, no FX, no gain changes, no pan) than mixdown.
I tried different scenarios, same results.
If that is the case, that would make those programs unacceptable for Mixing and especially Mastering .
Same tracks mixed in S1 and PT were identical ( with no audible difference)
Samplitude and Sequoia had boosted lows and overall gain. I found it weird .
Can anyone confirm it ? Maybe Kraznet had noticed this anomaly.
Hi Vitaliano,

I can't say I've noticed anything like that myself and I know a few people using it in pro studios and I'm sure they would have said something if it was a problem. I suggest you go onto the Samplitude forum and and discuss it there? The developers keep an eye on the user forum.
Samplitude Forum

Regards, Kraznet
Old 17th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Have used Samp since v5 until recently. It's a wonderful program but still does things in it's own convoluted way. Takes extra steps to do things that take one step in other daws. No mute automation for a program with so many advanced features is ridiculous. Each version seems to get more complex. Object editing is the best and CD compilation/mastering features are great even though the CD text feature never works on any other CD player.

Used Samp for CD compilation/burning, etc. for years. Now we use Studio One v2.
CD-Text (offline) is not the same as CDDB (online). I know some users had some confusion there when they pop the disk into a laptop and titles dont show up.
📝 Reply