The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samplitude Pro X (Opinions) ?
Old 28th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi,

I'm just beginning my Samplitude Pro X learning journey.

So far getting to know the interface/GUI, docking, the mixer, plug-ins, Virtual Instruments (Revolta 2 synth sound very warm, and nice), visualization options are pretty cool. I have a long way to go, and have not yet messed around with the object editing features.

I might have some questions as I move forward, so I might post some questions on this thread. I have been watching some of the Kraznet, and Dolbar tutorial videos on Youtube, and some of the tutorial videos on the Magix site. I wish there was an in-depth video tutorial series like the ones from Groove 3, Mac Pro Video, ..etc. for Samplitude Pro X, or a good tutorial guide book, since the manual is not the best tool to enjoy learning Samplitude Pro X.

If there are any other learning resources that I might have not heard about, I would appreciate some links, although I googled this quite a bit, and not much seems to exist other than what I mentioned above.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Hi,

I'm just beginning my Samplitude Pro X learning journey.

So far getting to know the interface/GUI, docking, the mixer, plug-ins, Virtual Instruments (Revolta 2 synth sound very warm, and nice), visualization options are pretty cool. I have a long way to go, and have not yet messed around with the object editing features.

I might have some questions as I move forward, so I might post some questions on this thread. I have been watching some of the Kraznet, and Dolbar tutorial videos on Youtube, and some of the tutorial videos on the Magix site. I wish there was an in-depth video tutorial series like the ones from Groove 3, Mac Pro Video, ..etc. for Samplitude Pro X, or a good tutorial guide book, since the manual is not the best tool to enjoy learning Samplitude Pro X.

If there are any other learning resources that I might have not heard about, I would appreciate some links, although I googled this quite a bit, and not much seems to exist other than what I mentioned above.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Congratulations!

Make sure you join the users' forum as well.
Samplitude.com

The other quick way to get acquainted with Samplitude is to right-click anywhere and/or use the search bar.

G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusbliss View Post
Congratulations!

Make sure you join the users' forum as well.
Samplitude.com

The other quick way to get acquainted with Samplitude is to right-click anywhere and/or use the search bar.

G
Hi siriusbliss,

Thank You.

Yes, I have joined the User's Forum already.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 28th October 2012
Gear Maniac

It would be cool if they could do something about the help system. I always seem to end up in some strange orphaned loop where different pages try to refer to themselves. Using search there will often be a result which explains how to do something but doesn't actually tell you where to find the tool to do it. Stuff like that, on top of the hilarious translation of what must already be pretty indecipherable German...
Gear Addict
Hi muziksculp,

Quote:
I wish there was an in-depth video tutorial series like the ones from Groove 3,
I've posted 230 Samplitude tutorial videos on my YouTube channel and when I approach a subject I try to cover it as thoroughly and in as much depth as possible. However for example the "Object Editor a Guided Tour" and "Everything Midi" were made in V11. Although much of it still applies to Samplitude Pro X. Also the 75 part "Samplitude Basics" covers quite a lot of ground although again in V11. There are also 17 Samplitude Pro X videos.
Samplitude Pro X - YouTube

It's probably not as convenient as having a Groove 3 type series but they are free. Also I prefer not to enable advertising before each video on my channel as I find that annoying if I'm watching anyone else's videos.

I also write a Samplitude article in Sound on Sound magazine every 2 months and I usually make a video to accompany the article. The last one was about audio quantization. Here's a link to the AQ videos:

Do The Splits | Media

I've also been known to create custom tutorials when users request a particular subject . So if you have any particular subjects that you feel aren't being covered let me know and I'll see what I can do. Sometimes a simple Gif animation does the job . I will try to assist with any questions you ask on the forum as well.

Regards
Kraznet
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post
Hi muziksculp,

I've posted 230 Samplitude tutorial videos on my YouTube channel and when I approach a subject I try to cover it as thoroughly and in as much depth as possible. However for example the "Object Editor a Guided Tour" and "Everything Midi" were made in V11. Although much of it still applies to Samplitude Pro X. Also the 75 part "Samplitude Basics" covers quite a lot of ground although again in V11. There are also 17 Samplitude Pro X videos.
Samplitude Pro X - YouTube

It's probably not as convenient as having a Groove 3 type series but they are free. Also I prefer not to enable advertising before each video on my channel as I find that annoying if I'm watching anyone else's videos.

I also write a Samplitude article in Sound on Sound magazine every 2 months and I usually make a video to accompany the article. The last one was about audio quantization. Here's a link to the AQ videos:

Do The Splits | Media

I've also been known to create custom tutorials when users request a particular subject . So if you have any particular subjects that you feel aren't being covered let me know and I'll see what I can do. Sometimes a simple Gif animation does the job . I will try to assist with any questions you ask on the forum as well.

Regards
Kraznet
Hello Kraznet,

Thank You Very Much for your great support. Your tutorials are a great learning resource, they are what I'm watching as I learn my way through Samplitude Pro X.

I will post some questions once I have compiled a bunch of them, and post them on this, and the Magix forum.

All The Best,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

@ Kraznet,

Oh... I forgot to ask... Do you have any clue as to when the Magix Analog Modeling Suite Plus will be available for purchase via Download ?

http://pro.magix.com/en/audio-plugin...suite.570.html

It says that it will be available soon at the Magix website, any idea what soon means in this case ? I'm very interested in purchasing these plug-ins, since they are not included with Samplitude Pro X. I think they are included with the Suite version. But, since I already have Independence Pro, I did not need to purchase the Suite version of Samplitude Pro X.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 4th November 2012
Gear Head

Hey .. just a few thoughts..
About the UAD issue. I run Sam for about a decade. Different versions, different systems. I also run a larger UAD setup and had UAD1 with UAD2 running at the same time. The biggest setup I used to run was a quad, a duo and 4 uad1 cards in a single system. I never encountered any issues with the setup in Sam. I guess sometimes there must simply be a problem with a certain combination or hardware. Irq or memory address conflicts can have very strange results, so I wouldn't really blame Magix for this. If there was any problem, I would have encountered it by now.

About the whole Mac vs. PC debate. The choice between the two is a mere question of taste. BOTH systems are extremely stable, well organised and mature. PC people who switched from XP to 7 never had to suffer an unstable system. Mac people would have been better off, by staying with tiger as long as possible and the Mac people very well know why I am saying this. Every software has bugs and some releases are more stable for your needs than others. Simple as that. Our Media house completely depends on PCs for instance and we wouldn't be around if they wouldn't work. We run everything, from editing suites, to 3d/motion design suites, audio, a render farm, storage servers and everything you can think of. I might all work on Macs as well, but I sure all works with PCs. I will know, because I'm our IT nerd.

German Magix support is great btw. You can directly call the Sam development department in Dresden and there is always a programmer handy to really understand your problem. UNLIKE trying to reach someone at Avid.

Sam pro X had quite a few stability issues at first. It was actually so bad, that I had to go back to my faithful 8 pro for a few weeks until they had fixed the worst bugs. Now everything is back to normal and stability is great.

Eucon integration is a lot better now and works ok. Unfortunately, the scrub wheel is still not implemented, even though it's there on the daw screen. Jog works, shuttle doesn't. On the other hand, pretty much any command present in Sam is implemented in Eucon and therefore accessible from your Eucon device.

Omf import from adobe still has issues, but I still haven't figured out if adobe is the problem or Magix. Import from Final cut or Avid works like a charm.

I love Samplitude because it always gives you the felling to be a lot more powerful than yourself and that you can learn new tricks even after years. I work with Sam for about 10 years and still learn new things every time I use it. It's also an amazing tool for all the post guys out there! The track based spectral cleaning for instance must be one of the most useful tools implemented into a daw for years!
Just a quick top tip if you do video post.. get yourself a cheap copy of Magix's Video Pro X. Use it to convert your video file into Magic's own .mxv format and THEN import it into Sam. This will make the workflow become smooth like butter.

Cheers Everybody and have a nice Sunday.
Andre
Old 4th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
@ Kraznet,

Oh... I forgot to ask... Do you have any clue as to when the Magix Analog Modeling Suite Plus will be available for purchase via Download ?

Analogue Modelling Suite > Audio Plugins > Audio Production > MAGIX Pro

It says that it will be available soon at the Magix website, any idea what soon means in this case ? I'm very interested in purchasing these plug-ins, since they are not included with Samplitude Pro X. I think they are included with the Suite version. But, since I already have Independence Pro, I did not need to purchase the Suite version of Samplitude Pro X.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Hi there,
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. MAGIX have been stating there will be downloadable versions available soon for quite a while but nothing seems to have happened. I'm afraid I don't have any information on if/when downloads will become a reality. Also it's worth noting that this plug-in bundle doesn't include Ammunition either which is a bit of a shame. I will email or someone at MAGIX and save I can get a response.

Regards
Kraznet
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznet View Post
Hi there,
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. MAGIX have been stating there will be downloadable versions available soon for quite a while but nothing seems to have happened. I'm afraid I don't have any information on if/when downloads will become a reality. Also it's worth noting that this plug-in bundle doesn't include Ammunition either which is a bit of a shame. I will email or someone at MAGIX and save I can get a response.

Regards
Kraznet
Hi Kraznet,

I appreciate your assistance.

I have contacted Magix, and they have offered me a special pricing to upgrade from Samplitude Pro X to Samplitude Pro X Suite for the price of the Analog Modeling Suite Plus. It seems like this is the fastest route to obtain the A.Modeling Suite Plus plugs.

Hopefully, Magix will offer the entire Analog Modeling Suite Plus, as a download product in the near future. Too bad they don't have it available at this time, but I'm glad they were able to assist me with an alternative option.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunker View Post
Omf import from adobe still has issues, but I still haven't figured out if adobe is the problem or Magix. Import from Final cut or Avid works like a charm.
I understand it has issues with Pro Tools too so I fear the problem is probably on the Adobe side.
Old 7th February 2013
BBG
Gear Nut

A few months old this thread, but as I'm currently contemplating purchasing Samplitude or Sequoia just wanted to say thanks for all of the great info and links!

@muziksculp - how are you getting on with it? I think earlier in the thread you mentioned that you produce electronic music, which is what I do, so I would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are on it after a few months of use. Coming from a hardware/Acid/Vegas/Ableton background, wondering how severe the learning curve will be with Magix...
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG View Post
A few months old this thread, but as I'm currently contemplating purchasing Samplitude or Sequoia just wanted to say thanks for all of the great info and links!

@muziksculp - how are you getting on with it? I think earlier in the thread you mentioned that you produce electronic music, which is what I do, so I would be interested in hearing what your thoughts are on it after a few months of use. Coming from a hardware/Acid/Vegas/Ableton background, wondering how severe the learning curve will be with Magix...
I'll interrupt here and mention that the learning curve is not bad as long as you compare paradigms.

Samplitude's object oriented approach is similar to Ableton's cells, and track editing is obviously more similar to Live's session mode.

You can quickly establish a loop range (region) or object, and drag copies of the loops along the track just like Acid or Vegas.

But the object-based approach is pretty awesome.

Have fun,

G
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear
Is it coming to mac or not? Love what I see in Kraznet´s videos.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
Is it coming to mac or not? Love what I see in Kraznet´s videos.
Eventually.

No mention of it yet in any detail other than that they are working on it.
May not see any sign of a Mac version until late this year (my assumption).

G
Lives for gear

each day I read the reports on progress for mac. It is coming, but it will be ready when it is ready. Our developers have a real passion for their programs and are doing their best to make sure it lives up to the promises. 20 years of development on a PC naturally will take a bit of time to get working on a new platform.

Either way it is being worked on and getting ready. I am excited also to use it.

Cheers,
Bob
Magix Pro Audio Support.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
BBG
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'll interrupt here and mention that the learning curve is not bad as long as you compare paradigms.

Samplitude's object oriented approach is similar to Ableton's cells, and track editing is obviously more similar to Live's session mode.

You can quickly establish a loop range (region) or object, and drag copies of the loops along the track just like Acid or Vegas.

But the object-based approach is pretty awesome.

Have fun,

G
Thanks for the feedback.

Between Pro X and Sequoia, for the main purpose of mastering House music (with maybe some tracking/mixing if I'm really feeling the program and occasionally working with video/soundtrack) which in your opinion would be more suitable?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBG View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Between Pro X and Sequoia, for the main purpose of mastering House music (with maybe some tracking/mixing if I'm really feeling the program and occasionally working with video/soundtrack) which in your opinion would be more suitable?
ProX has plenty of mastering capabilities.
Sequoia has 4-point editing, VCA's, and some extra file management features, but the two are very compatible.
Sequoia has some enhanced video handling such as multiple video objects.

G
BBG
Gear Nut

Quote:
ProX has plenty of mastering capabilities.
Sequoia has 4-point editing, VCA's, and some extra file management features, but the two are very compatible.
Sequoia has some enhanced video handling such as multiple video objects.

G
Considering that and the price difference, I think Pro X will be the right choice for me then. I guess I was just worried that I would be missing out on some of the premium Magix mastering features by going with Pro X... apparently not. Cheers!
Lives for gear

I have not been able to get on the Samplitude forum for several days now. Anyone have info? I get a maintenance page but it's been down for a long time.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio View Post
I have not been able to get on the Samplitude forum for several days now. Anyone have info? I get a maintenance page but it's been down for a long time.
Apparently it was attacked (dos attack?) earlier this week and they are trying to repair the damage caused by it. But it seems it's taking longer to repair than expected.

Regards
Kraznet
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Kraznet. Amazing that someone has all the time on their hands to hack into a user forum. Pond scum!
Old 9th February 2013
BBG
Gear Nut

interesting. magix (while popular amongst some) is pretty off the radar, what gives?
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have been using Samplitude for 15 years. They were owned by SEKD at the time. NO advertisement anywhere accept for a trial version that came with Ardvark converters. Later Magix bought the company and for years there was virtually no advertisements. Slowly they are building up some advertisements but it is slow, random and often just bad. The logo they use changes every Version change. No brand recondition.
Such great software but run by brilliant techs. No one in the company understands the art of sales and advertising.
Old 27th June 2013
Here for the gear

Reviving the thread - I'm also interested in Samplitude; I'm losing confidence in my old DAW software...

I read earlier in this thread that there's no mute automation. Is that still true with Pro X?

Also, can anyone report on Samplitude Pro X's implementation of the Mackie Control Protocol (MCP)? The control surface interface is pretty important to me. Thanks.
Old 9th August 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
Samplitude is a very mature and quite complete audio production environment. The name change to Pro X obscures the fact that this is really Samplitude version 12, so this program has been around a long time. The fact that it's more popular in Europe is partly due to the fact that its parent company is based in Germany. They never really figured out how to crack the US market before Pro Tools consumed all the commercial oxygen. Consequently, the user base here consists a smaller number of very serious users rather than a large number of casual ones. Users of Samplitude (and/or its big sister Sequoia) include several major broadcast networks.

Samplitude aspires (and often succeeds) in being an all-in-one audio production environment, meaning you can go from virtual instrument sketches to live tracking, editing, mixing, and mastering all in the same program. The tool set is very complete, including standard signal processing, spectral editing, drum editing, and pitch correction. Upscale versions add extended sample libraries, more video support, and 4-point (classical) editing.

The most important feature (for me) of object-oriented editing is that your original audio is never touched. You can process it, cut it up, move it around and save different versions, but the original files will always be there. Standard processing and fades are done in real time during playback. There is no separate rendering step, so what you burn on CD will sound like what you just heard in playback. Certain CPU-intensive tasks (e.g. spectral noise reduction) are done offline, but you never leave the program and you can always revert to the original version. In recent years, other DAW's have started to get a bit more object-oriented, but they are still in catch-up mode. The "Clip Gain" feature in Pro Tools 10? It's been in Samplitude since 1995.

Object-oriented audio production (like object-oriented programming!) requires a bit of mental adjustment. At first, you'll have occasions when you just can't find what you assumed was a standard DAW feature. Then you'll ask in the users forum (great resource, nice people) or look at a tutorial video and end up slapping your forehead when you realise that you no longer even need that feature because there's another workflow that is so much simpler.

New features arrive in numbered major releases. In between these, there are typically two to three maintenance releases which fix problems and sometimes add a feature or two that missed the big release. As a matter of policy, I usually wait for the first maintanence release.

I can't give you much in the way of comparisons to Cubase, because I don't use it. I've been using Samplitude/Sequoia almost exclusively for well over a dozen years. What I can say is that you're going to be thrilled by the difference in audio quality. I probably should have made this point in a private message because I don't want to start a flame war. Received wisdom on this forum is that all DAW's sound identical because "it's just math". Well, I do mathematical programming for a living so I know how hard it actually is to get right. I've even written my own dither and sample rate conversion code... never again! It's true that you can find very limited summing bus tests which "prove" that all DAW's do the same exact thing (as long as that thing isn't particularly complicated). I accept those "null" tests as proof that most programmers of major audio software can now code a mixer (especially if the faders aren't moving). Ask yourself this: If EQ and compression algorithms are so easy to do well, why are there so many different plug-ins? If sample rate conversion is so easy, why does so much of it sound horrible? Real audio production involves so much more than the summing bus that all I can say is this: Try Samplitude for yourself. Do a whole project in it and make your own decision.
I have used samplitude for years. Many years ago I tried cubase, then protools, then reason; these programs never clicked with me... even though I had been a musician for many years, I gave up the DAw thing due to the incredible amount of hours spent learning and unable to get things to work right, or at all.
Fast forward a couple of years later, on a whim I bought a totally unprofessional program by a 'MAGIX' company I never heard of called 'music maker' ...more of a program designed for loops and amatures. It was incredibly intuitive....OMG, I actually began having 'fun' using it and began to combine loops with my music! Everything began to fall into place. Some time later I was loooking for more---I bought Samplitude, and it was really a step up..but everything looked familiar and again fell into place. The older samplitude versions had bugs and compatibility issues (then again, look at pro tools / cubase versions/ revisions from a few years back..how many 'bugs' have they fixed---tons) but having purchased subsequent versions since with samplitude PRO X I can say it works very smoothly and without a hitch. No more compatability problems.

Many people have said this software just 'sounds' better...I really do hear a difference between DAWs, but it is small. I think the better the outboard gear and AD/DA converters, the more of a difference one will hear.
So, bottom line..the software ain't cheap (I've noticed Magix seems to have a blow-out sale late spring / summer onece a year when they drop the price significantly); but this software can do almost anything protools can do, and in addition other things it can't. It isn't complicated/nor is it easy; just some time to learn and get used to since it is so huge; but if I had to do it over again I honestly would NOT go any other way. I hope this late comment regarding this thread will help anyone considering Samplitude pro X or Sequoia. Good luck
Old 16th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info Kraznet. Amazing that someone has all the time on their hands to hack into a user forum. Pond scum!
I hosted a Tascam MX2424 forum for a long time until hackers crippled it. As I was not paid and the forum hack would take other services down that my server was hosting, I chose to shut the MX2424 forum down.

No good deed goes unpunished seems to apply too often to those who try to be of service.

I can't wait to see what the Mac version of SAM/SEQ becomes. I would be thrilled to leave bootcamp behind.
Old 16th September 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one in the company understands the art of sales and advertising.
Promotion and sales in North America have been a bit slack for a good time now. I hope that there is a proper push when the Mac version is close to release.
Old 2nd November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I'm an amateur musician and home studio hobbyist for a couple years.

I got the "standard" DAW and was overwhelmed by its complexity unable to record anything after reading several books on it and not about to pay for formal training.

In the mean time I moved on to a couple other pro DAW's settling on one that is used widely for film scoring.

Then a few weeks ago I purchased the home consumer market Samplitude Music Studio 2014. And in about 10 minutes I had a better mix than from my pro DAW's that I had spent entire days on mixing the same material. I suspect this may in part be due to my lack of mixing skills and the mastering suite in SMS 2014. But even so it was like someone had pulled cotton out of ears hearing the range and clarity of SMS 2014.

Am I'm imagining this sound improvement?

Am I going to see/hear a huge improvement upgrading to Samplitude Pro X and SPX Ste versions? I think SMS 2014 is now using the same 64 bit audio engine as Samplitude Pro X?

Is Sequoia a super set of SPX? Or is Sequoia the next step after SPX for master albums? I would like to eventually try to make some indie music videos for uploading to youtube.

Thanks.

John
Old 2nd November 2013
Motown legend

There's a Samplitude demo on their site.
📝 Reply