The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIGI 002 vs Delta 1010 Transfer Rate
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

DIGI 002 vs Delta 1010 Transfer Rate

Hey Guys, can anyone tell me if there's actually a difference between the 002 & 1010 transfer rate? One is Firewire and the other being a PCI card.

Thanks.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Generally speaking a PCI interface would be better because of the following.
(This is the very reason I bought a PYRO 64bit PCI Firewire Card for my Digi002)

The firewire / usb controller on a typical computer motherboard has to go through the Southbridge Chipset, and even sometimes the 'I/O Controller' before making it's way to the PCI bus on its journey to the NorthBridge Controller (which of course is where you find the Frontside bus, CPU, Ram, and AGP bus)

If the above makes any sense =) then you can see why a pci card is marginally better... I guess you could say "Jumping on the train closer to the destination is better, because as it relates, the PCI bus is closer to the processor than the USB or Firewire Controller in many cases."

Again... I bought a Sweet firewire card for my Computer so I effectively have eliminated the benefit of using a PCI card interface (Digi001, Delta1010, etc) over my firewire interface (Digi002Rack).

Hope this helps,

Scott Harloff
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey Scott,

Thanks for your response . So what you're saying is me getting the PYRO 64bit PCI Firewire Card for my 002 would offer a similar transfer rate as my 1010? Cool! Time to explore prices! One question though. Is there a disadvantage of using this Firecard card. Just makin' sure all is smooth...

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

the Firewire bus usualy runs off the PCI bus anyway it does not have to travel through the southbridge. its a very different animal from USB.
keep in mind not all FW controllers are created equal. if you are having any issues with your 002 you should get one of the approved FW cards

in terms of transfer rate, its not as issue with the limited number of i/o you are never going to max out either bus.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the response Aussie. Much appreciated...
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
the Firewire bus usualy runs off the PCI bus anyway it does not have to travel through the southbridge.
This is true on a case by case basis. It depends on the exact model of the motherboard. This is why I love Schematic Diagrams

Peace Guys

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search