The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
can you use digi hardware...
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

can you use digi hardware...

I'm purchasing a new Imac for my church to record service,and I would like to use an mbox 2. I understand that pro tools is not universal yet, but can you use the hardware until it's ready? I would prefer to use pro tools because I know it very well. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

From the Digidesign website:

Compatibility Alert — New Apple Intel-based Macs

* Pro Tools (HD, LE and M-Powered) is NOT currently compatible with the new Apple iMac, Mac mini, MacBook, or MacBook Pro computers with Intel Core Duo or Intel Core Solo processors
* Pro Tools is not a universal binary
* Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 & Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 for Intel-based Macs are currently expected to be available near the end of May, 2006
* Pro Tools LE 7.1.1 & Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 for Intel-based Macs will be free downloads for all Pro Tools LE 7.x and Pro Tools M-Powered owners

I've only been using Pro-Tools software with the Pro-Tools hardware, so Im not sure what good the M-Box would be on an Intel based Mac if the software won't run. But if Digi keeps to what its been saying on its website, the software should be ready soon... just don't hold your breath if you need to inhale or exhale occassionally.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

well i would assume core audio wouldn't work on the intel macs, seeing as PT doesnt. if coreaudio does not work, then no, you cant use it with anything else, if it does work, you can use the 2 pres with cubase or whatever, i would assume. i know i can use the pres on there to reord to garage band and use guitar rig.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

the new intel macs have this thing called rosetta that translates non-universal software to work on the intel macs. the down side is that it may run a little slower than if it was universal. hypothetically pro tools should work and you may not even notice a difference in performance depending on how much faster the new mac is compared to the old one. im not positive on pro tools working with rosetta but it should work.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

There's no chance in hell (let alone a church) that any DAW will work under Rosetta -- he can install Boot Camp and Windows XP and run Pro Tools on Windows XP until the OS X version is released.

Rail
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

if hes just recording the service than it probably wont be more than 2 inputs. im sure it can handle that. not saying its the best idea but it could work. using boot camp is also a great idea if he has a windows install of the os and pro tools.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

rosetta + realtime floating point math = not gonna happen.

wait a week for the official intel mac release of PT LE
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

i have about 2 weeks before i make this purchase so maybe digi will make an announcement in time..... i will say that the xp/boot camp idea is nice
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Although PTLE is not intel mac ready yet, you could still use Pro Tools on the machine. Just install windows xp onto the mac. You could run pro tools on XP while you wait.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

why pay out for mac hardware only to give M$ money for XP
just go and get a PC and be done with it
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

IMHO anyone that will suggest someone to install Bootcamp, which is only in public beta testing (for a reason), and then advise them to install Windows Xp, and then to run your Windows based audio software... on a Mac that is running a brand new processessor for the first time, should be giving that person their phone number for 24/7 tech support.

Unless someone IS using it with success, wait the two (re: three or four) weeks.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
Unless someone IS using it with success.
some peeple use it with great sucess other have problems. just like any untested configurations
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=aussie_techie]some peeple use it with great sucess other have problems. just like any untested configurations[/QUOTE

Need I say more?
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

no need to sweat.. looks like my prayers have been answered.. intel mac support has been announced
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads up!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search