The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
motherboard for a quad core PC?
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

motherboard for a quad core PC?

alrighty,

can anyone point me to a suitable motherboard for building a quad core DAW?

preferably AMD if possible.

thanks,

regards,

richie.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Head

No matter what DAW you plan on using, you'll find a lot of useful info from those of us who have already built them in this thread
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

i'm building a quad core Daw right now as i type this. now the board i'm using isn't cheap but by far the best mb i've ever used.
i'm using:
Thermaltake 750 watt PSU
Supermicro H8DCE
2 opteron 280's
16x dvd rw
4 gig of Buffalo ECC
3 300gig sata drives (500gig external HD)
Radeon X1300 video card

this daw is being built for pure itb mixing with nuendo 3 and wavelab 6.
he'll be adding 2-3 uad-1's and a few ssl duende's when they come out

i'll be doing some test with waves ssl, urs and wizooverb tomorrow.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

btw i'm sure this daw will rip apart intel mac dfegad MAC
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
and a few ssl duende's when they come out

Sorry if I not understand your terminology. What is SSL Duende? Do you mean the Waves SSL? Or something else?
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

If memory serves SSL is building a hardware box that will carry digital versions of some of their top hardware units. I don't know if the technology is identical but it's sort of in the vein of the Liquid Channel.

You can find some info by googling SSL Duende
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie
alrighty,

thanks,

regards,

richie.

Check out Tyan motherboards

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/opteron.html

Good luck
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereotype
Sorry if I not understand your terminology. What is SSL Duende? Do you mean the Waves SSL? Or something else?
no not waves ssl
SSL's own dsp unit. its called duende... go check it out
i like tyan mb, but this Supermicro is flat out awesome
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic
btw i'm sure this daw will rip apart intel mac dfegad MAC
for sure it will. I just built a single chip AMD64x2 4400. I am clocking it to 2.5GiG's per CPU and it on its own is silly fast. I do plan on adding another cpu and switching the motherboard to a tyan. I want to see how much this one will give me first.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

nice one, thanks for the replies.

regards,

richie.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

From everything I've read thus far, it looks like you need to have an Opteron CPU if you want an AMD multi-CPU setup. Kinda sucks since I just bought an Athlon 4800+ (socket 939). Would be cool if I could just buy a 2nd 4800, but the only multi-CPU boards I've seen have been for Opterons (socket 949). Too bad I didn't know that earlier.

I guess I will be living with "dual-core" for a while now. It's still hella fast, but quad-core sounds so tasty
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

AMD is presenting new sockets and processors soon, prices are going down for what we have now, but upcrading is limited with these.
Thom`s hardware maybe a good place to follow.
Matti
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

Tyan motherboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie
alrighty,

thanks,

regards,

richie.

I always recommend that you poke around the website of the manufacturer you plan on dealing with the most. I.E. Digidesign has "qualified" the A8N-X by Asus, and K8WE (S2895) by Tyan for PT LE. Steinberg seems to claim Cubase will run on just about anything, I can't really comment because I don't use it.

But in a less winded answer to your question, the best thing that I've seen out there is the Tyan K8WE (S2895) - which is actually what I use for running ProTools LE with 2 Opteron 275s (2.2GHz x 4 cores total). It is insanely fast, and there is actually a test called the Davec test that you can use to benchmark your machine vs what other people have built thus far, so that you can get an idea of how much $ you're going to end up spending vs the amount of performance you're going to get.

There is DEFINATELY a line that is often overlooked when it comes to building the ultimate PT LE machine instead of just buying a decent CPU (such as the AMD X2 series that has been mentioned already) and then getting a HD Core setup.

For a frame of reference, though, the machine I have passed every Davec test that exists with flying colors - there hasn't been one created yet that's powerful enough to bog it down. My computer is a little over the top though, and might be a bit more than you need (I think I may have crossed that line I mentioned)...

To get an idea of these tests and how they work/what they represent, check on Digidesign's user forum in the Windows LE section, they actually have a few Quad threads already started.

If you can provide more specific details as to what you are trying to accomplish in terms of software, I could probably (hopefully?) be far more constructive in trying to assist.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search