The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Notation software
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Finale for me... hook up a midi keyboard and speedy entry all the way. Just press a number on the numberpad to select note duration, then the note on the keyboard that you want... rinse, and repeat. Don't get much easier than that. If you know what you are doing you can lay down an 8 bar melody in no time.

I dunno, I get the impression that it is a preference thing as opposed to an outright better program. I didn't gel with sibelius at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve1073 View Post
I think Sibelius is really the way to go right now. I visited a friend of mine who teaches composition at Trinity in Dublin recently. He just composed a symphony for large orchestra using Sibelius. I listened to the entire 45 minute piece, reading along. My ears wished he had had a better midi library, but it looked great. I mean, this is ready to be sent out to symphony directors for review. Totally professional. He says it's much, much easier to use than finale. I have an older version of finale. It's a beast. I haven't tried newer versions.

This is exactly how I use finale, though I get my work performance tested before it goes out. Straight out of the software it is publishing quality. I think it is just like current DAW software, most offer the same thing just in a different package. The new versions of Finale include a garriton sample library, a great feature if you work for long hours. Stock midi sounds can drive you insane.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
if it you look at it more as a studio-friendly extension of your sequencer, then Sibelius is better.
before long Sibelius should become an extention of Pro Tools
Old 11th September 2006
Here for the gear

Seriously Sibelius is Bad ****ss! Then there is Finale and Notation.
I am trying to figure out Cubase SX3 score writer but's so clunky and hard to get around in arrrg.
I would say Sibelius is my fave for scoring.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search