The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to avoid to hear Flash audio contents from monitors when surfing the web?
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

How to avoid to hear Flash audio contents from monitors when surfing the web?

I know it sounds a bit silly, but I hate these autostarting movies/clips/songs you get visiting some sites and they output their audio trough my main monitors, it's scary!

I'm on Mac with an RME Multiface, and the only option is to send the system sounds through the internal audio device, but this not applies to flash contents. The only strong workaround is to download safaristand (if you use safari) which will block ANY flash file. But of course that's not the best solution because you lose also interfaces, menus, etc.

Any idea?
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

i don't know anyway to avioid the stupid flash intros. i hate them.

but i do have a little mixer that i control my monitor volume so i just keep the volume down until i WANT to hear something.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, me too. But if for example you have itunes playing and in the meantime you're visiting some sites and you get one of these, you can be surprised! :-(
Old 27th May 2006
If you're using Firefox, you can use the Flashblock extension:

http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

You used to be able to turn off Flash in IE (in Windows, anyhow), but it appears MS has removed that option (?)... here are instructions for preventing Flash exectution by editing the Windows registry. (I haven't tried them; I can't vouch for them.)

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/noflash.htm

Here's a utility for turning Flash playback on and off from XP's systray:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/tflash2.html
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

i plugged some cheap computer speakers into my soundcards stock outputs, and windows has that set as the main soundcard. for listening to music and mixing i have the soundcard for those programs set to go to my monitors.
i also use firefox and use an extension called flashblock, it puts a small play button in the place of a flash app. saves my life.
Old 28th May 2006

I just mute the Digi CoreAudio Manager until I want to listen to music.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

get a proxy server and block flash files, ads and all the other annoying crap from even being downloaded, you will save on your internet bill aswell. if you only have a single computer i guess you are a bit more limited although you could still run squid in the backgroud when on the net, it still has a much smaller footprint than all the other programs around to block things.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Aussie... how will that cutdown on your internet bill? Do you have to pay for bandwidth down under?

xist.. Try Jack OS X, which will let you reroute the output of any application.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

no i dont but not every access plan around the world is the same. i should of said you may may save. it speeds up access its not requesting the crap you dont want most blocking programs seem to just stop things being shown rather than stopping them being requested in the first place.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Head

xist, you have RME's TotalMix at your disposal, use it! thumbsup

Not sure how this works on OSX, but on XP I just set my DAW software and music player to use (for instance) output pair 1&2. I set Windows to send everything it controls out to pair 3&4.

Next I open TotalMix, switch it into submix mode, and click on the monitoring output pair in the bottom row. Then set the 1&2 pair (middle row, feeding outputs on the bottom row) at unity gain, and set the 3&4 pair at, say, -6.0dB. Then do the same for the phones submix.

That'll get that web content under control!
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for your replies.
Well, as said I already use solutions like SafariStand (which is the equivalent of the Firefox extension), but this is not the best way in my opinion, since it "kills" ALL the flash contents.
Unfortunately for what I know, OS X does not let users do what Hammerfall says about WinXP. In the AudioMidi panel you can just choose a device, not to select its outputs, so everything goes through 1-2 (and the Multiface "trick" cannot be used, if I'm not wrong).

I think until iTunes will miss its own audio out preference, we will have these issues.

I knew Detour, but it's been discontinued and since it has no support but it works at a low level of the system, it scares me a bit.
I know Jack OS X too, but it seems made for other purposes, and as Detour probably adds work to the cpu, so it would be better to have less complicated solutions.
I hope Adobe and Apple will find a way soon...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search